Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My thoughts on expanding the playoffs.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

My thoughts on expanding the playoffs.

Dec 27, 2020, 12:56 PM

I think that sooner or later, if we still have a country, the P5 is going to break away from the NCAA (Or the NCAA will separate the P5 form the G5 like they did the FBS and the FCS, formerly Div 1A and 1AA).

I can see something akin to this:

4 conferences of 16 teams. (I actually sat down about 25 years ago and made up my own list of which 64 teams would be included.) Each conference has two divisions. The division winners play for the conference championship. The 4 conference champs play in the Final Four. That gives you an 8 team playoff. The conference championship games are essentially the quarterfinals.

OR

8 conferences of 8 teams each. Each conference decides how it will pick it champion. The 8 conference champs play for the national championship.

No wild cards. No "eye test" or "subjective analysis." Just tee that tater up and let the winners win.

The only subjectivity would be seedings. That would be enough controversy for the fans to argue about.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My thoughts on expanding the playoffs.

Dec 27, 2020, 1:00 PM

4 is fine. reward excellence. Once you start expanding it is like basketball. the whining never ends. If you want in recruit better, play better, schedule tougher.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2020, 3:24 PM

74TIGER said:

4 is fine. reward excellence. Once you start expanding it is like basketball. the whining never ends. If you want in recruit better, play better, schedule tougher.

Whining started the moment Championships became a thing.

The future is expansion because, as Q posted in another thread, cfb fans are going to get tired of basically the same teams being in it each year without much chance for anyone else to join the party.

Check out the recruiting rankings - it's mostly the playoff teams dominating the top...guess who's probably going to be in the playoffs the next 4 years....90% chance it is those exact teams because recruits want a natty, not a Belk Bowl trophy.

Schedules are done so far in advance now that scheduling better is hoping the same team already signed up is still relevant or catches fire that year. I wish we could put a limit on how far into the future to schedule games but I know it's not as easy as it sounds per contracts.

Depending on the year you can have a lot of teams playing good football come the end of the year. One of the biggest reasons I find the "every lower seed team will get crushed against a higher seed team" argument bogus.

Yes, most years you probably would see the higher seeds beat the lower seed convincingly...but I think the longer a expanded playoff exists, like skill position level talent in CFB, the talent will spread around to where you'll have those teams able to compete. I mean, consider the Coastal Carolina vs BYU game...

Traditionally, CCU would have been steam rolled due to the smaller lineman and talent gap...but nowadays those smaller school teams can hang around because S&C programs are catching up and talent is spreading out more (meaning there are more "good players" out there today vs 20 years ago where there were only so many 4 star players and Clemson was lucky to get a few each class)

No, these teams aren't probably going toe-2-toe with Clemson or Alabama anytime soon but the gap would close up more with an expanded playoff.

I believe Clemson's culture is the best in CFB so I'm not really worried but it would DEFINITELY help the smaller programs build up more to compete with the big boys eventually.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2020, 5:31 PM

We had 75 years of basically the same teams being chosen without the benefit of a 4 team playoff and it hardly mattered do why now after a few years of four teams is it a big deal? Every year one to three teams separate themselves from the rest. Does not matter if you start with 64 teams Bama, CU, Ohio, OK and a couple more will be the last teams standing. You can add as many posers to the mix (like UGA) but it won’t change a thing. A larger playoff is not the answer to a parity concern

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2020, 5:31 PM [ in reply to Re: My thoughts on expanding the playoffs. ]

We had 75 years of basically the same teams being chosen without the benefit of a 4 team playoff and it hardly mattered do why now after a few years of four teams is it a big deal? Every year one to three teams separate themselves from the rest. Does not matter if you start with 64 teams Bama, CU, Ohio, OK and a couple more will be the last teams standing. You can add as many posers to the mix (like UGA) but it won’t change a thing. A larger playoff is not the answer to a parity concern

Expanding the playoffs is like a supermodel going from

Dec 27, 2020, 1:16 PM

a thong to granny panties!

Dec 27, 2020, 3:48 PM

I don't see that model working Bret. Not when 6 to 7 of the top 10 teams are annually in the southeast.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2020, 5:19 PM

I am not in favor of expanding the CFP’s. It add’s more games to an already tuff schedule with kids taking more hits and the risk of more injuries.

Another reason IMO we should not expand the CFP system is because it will water down the competition. In in more of having a Power 5 conference and a 4 game playoff for teams like Cincinnati, Liberty, Coast Carolina and team the fail out of the top 4. Select 4 additional teams for the second tier CP from the top 10. Let them play their games and CF NC game for their level before the D-1 CFP games are played.
It will require some restrictions. For example Power 5 teams will be excluded.

If there had been a second tier CFP this year there would have been some great teams. Coastal Carolina, Liberty, App St., Memphis,
ULL. Their are some other teams that would qualify to.

IMO if you set up the CP system this way you will get more competitive games.

Look how watered down in competition the NFL, NBA and MLB have become since they have expanded the number of teams in their playoff’s.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic