Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What are the Top 10 Games in Death Valley History?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

What are the Top 10 Games in Death Valley History?

Oct 31, 2018, 3:25 PM

Just to generate some conversation on a Wednesday. Here are my picks (they skew more recent 'cause I'm not an old timer):

10. 1999 FSU

AKA "Bowden Bowl I." Tigers lose close game to #1 and eventual champ 'Noles in first ever meeting between a father and son in CFB history. I think largest crowd in DV history (paging Tim Bourett).

9. 2009 FSU

I was going to put the '09 UVA game here where we clinched the Division for the first time but I remember this game being way more fun. It was the first time we really shook off the Tommy Bowden-era predilection of falling on our faces with something big on the line. I remember them cathartically playing the entire We Will Rock You when we scored the go-ahead TD and then Deandre McDaniel sealing the win with a huge pick and destruction of Christian Ponder!

8. 2016 USuCk

Watson puts on a clinic as Tigers beat Gamecocks by largest margin in the history of the rivalry.

7. 2005 Miami

Tigers lose Triple OT thriller. Still the loudest game I've ever been to!

6. 2006 GT

First College Gameday at Clemson, CJ and JD show out, Calvin Johnson has ZERO catches!

5. 2015 ND

Tigers hold off furious Irish comeback in Thousand Year Rain Storm en route to an undefeated regular season.

4. 2003 FSU

First time beating the 'Noles since they joined the ACC. Probably the second loudest game I can remember.

3. 2016 Louisville

Heisman Winner and Should've-Been Heisman Winner duel back and forth in epic top 5 matchup that featured two big comebacks and a 4th down red zone stop!

2. 1981 UGA

Tigers knock of defending National Champs ending their winning streak, hold Heisman Winner Herschel Walker out of the endzone, win it all in Miami later that year.

1. 2000 USuCk

"The Catch II." 'Nuff said.

What games are in your top 10?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What are the Top 10 Games in Death Valley History?

Oct 31, 2018, 3:51 PM

I would have to add 1980 game that featured orange pants for the first time. It was the only time I saw the Tigers run down the hill to almost complete silence from the stands. The Puntrooskie game was big also.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2018, 4:00 PM

Great list....Even though we lost but the 1977 Clemson-Notre Dame game has to be on that list. This was properly the biggest game in Death Valley of that time.

Oct 31, 2018, 5:04 PM

That is exactly what I was going to say. The '77 Notre Dame game was the most exciting one I had ever attended. Hubby and I were on the hill which was packed solid. It was huge that Notre Dame was even playing at Clemson and we came So close to winning. I was so proud of our Tigers. We all stood the entire game and screamed our heads off.

Oct 31, 2018, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Re: What are the Top 10 Games in Death Valley History? ]

Why was the crowd quiet

Oct 31, 2018, 5:31 PM

Clemson vs. Alabama, 1967 10-13 loss
Frank Howard versus "Bear" Bryant

We lost because we missed two field goals!!

Oct 31, 2018, 5:33 PM [ in reply to Re: What are the Top 10 Games in Death Valley History? ]

When the team warmed up they were in white pants. They changed in the locker room and no one knew about the orange pants until they came down the hill. Everyone was so surprised we stood in silence until we got over the shock. Still my favorite home game.

Good call!***

Oct 31, 2018, 4:51 PM [ in reply to Re: What are the Top 10 Games in Death Valley History? ]

Oct 31, 2018, 4:08 PM

I'd have to squeeze the UGA game (2013 or so?) in there. Gameday, and epic game.

'88 FSU puntrooskie game stands out, as does the '83 UGA tie

Oct 31, 2018, 4:08 PM

game. I think the UGA tie is where both Iggie and Butler tried 50+ field goals at the end of the game.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: '88 FSU puntrooskie game stands out, as does the '83 UGA tie

Oct 31, 2018, 4:15 PM

1980- South Carolina
1981- Georgia
1987- Georgia
2011- Florida State
2011- Auburn
2013- Georgia
2015- Notre Dame
2015- Florida State
2016- Louisville
2017- Auburn
2018- Syracuse

I know, it's 11, but I could not keep the Lewisville/Action Jackson game off the list. Syracuse? KB gone, TL hurt, and CB leads the Tigers to very dramatic win.

Re: '88 FSU puntrooskie game stands out, as does the '83 UGA tie

Oct 31, 2018, 5:02 PM

TU for Syracuse 2018. That will always be one of my favorites. Watching a team coalesce.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One quick note - the USuCk game you're referencing was 2016***

Oct 31, 2018, 4:11 PM

D'oh--don't know how I overlooked that!***

Oct 31, 2018, 4:51 PM

Excellent List

Oct 31, 2018, 4:16 PM

I don't disagree with your picks much since I'm not an old timer either.

If I had to pick my favorite home games that I've been at then I would say:

1) 2015 ND - The weather was horrible and getting home was even worse, but to me this was the game that finally launched us on our road to elite status as a program.

2) 2006 GT - It was a great GameDay crowd and it was amazing to see the performances by Spiller, James Davis and our defense shutting Calvin Johnson down. I've never been so excited to get to watch the highlights on TV so I could see what CJ's two TD's looked like on film.

3)2005 Miami - Even though we lost, I'll never forget how loud it got after that late 4th quarter sack. Supposedly the BC game in 2007 was louder, but to me Miami 2005 was the loudest noise I've ever heard. Given the way the 2004 season had gone, I wasn't even upset that we lost given how good Miami had been recently.

My favorite game I've been at against the coots was in Williams-Brice in 2005. It was great to see Charlie win his 4th against them. Plus I was with a HS friend sitting in their student section wearing all of my Clemson gear. Security made me move to a better seat at halftime because the Gamecock students were becoming very threatening and throwing bottles at me.

Oct 31, 2018, 4:34 PM

Have to put the 1967 NC State Clemson "Red Shoes" game on the list.

The Wolfpack began the year with 8 consecutive victories, including a win over the second-ranked Houston Cougars. The team climbed as high as No. 3 in the AP Poll, which is to date the highest ranking achieved in school history.[2] A loss to Penn State derailed their perfect season, and a loss to Clemson the next week cost them the ACC title. CU 14 State 6

Defensive lineman Dennis Byrd became NC State's first ever consensus first-team All-American, being selected by 6 of 7 official selectors.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_NC_State_Wolfpack_football_team

Oct 31, 2018, 5:49 PM

I agree plus our guys came out with the orange shoes. Crowd went crazy.

Oct 31, 2018, 4:35 PM

Syracuse 2018 because it allowed us to be the first 15-0 team in college football history (oops gave away the ending)

Oct 31, 2018, 4:37 PM

in no particular order:

'81 uga
'87 uga
'88 fsu
'00 usc
'11 fsu
'13 uga
'14 l'ville
'15 nd
'15 fsu
'16 l'ville

actually, they're in chronological order.. haha..

1977 Notre Dame and 1980 Chickens should

Oct 31, 2018, 4:42 PM

be on every list. The pre-game silent treatment against Notre Dame, even though we lost,and eventual crowd reaction when the Tigers ran down the hill remains at the top of my list.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably should've done a pre-2000 and post-2000 list as the

Oct 31, 2018, 5:03 PM

turn of the century is about as far back as I go with personally watching the Tigers.

Re: 1977 Notre Dame and 1980 Chickens should

Oct 31, 2018, 5:15 PM [ in reply to 1977 Notre Dame and 1980 Chickens should ]

That Notre Dame game was the best ever for me. I had forgotten that early silent treatment.

Re: 1977 Notre Dame and 1980 Chickens should

Oct 31, 2018, 8:10 PM [ in reply to 1977 Notre Dame and 1980 Chickens should ]

Why was nd given the silent treatment. We need a book with all this fascinating trivia

Oct 31, 2018, 6:17 PM

My Top 5 are:

5. 2016 South Carolina
4. 2013 Georgia
3. 2015 Notre Dame
2. 2016 Louisville
1. 2014 South Carolina

These stick out bc of recent memory. Also I was born in 2000 so that cuts the list down a bit.

Excellent list! Not a bad choice in the bunch...

Oct 31, 2018, 6:31 PM

...so of course I'll toss in a couple of older ones: two wins and a loss.

First the loss: The 1977 loss to the BB Heads remains a life-changing event for the folks there to see it. Dead silence on the field, from the band marching to drum taps to the fans frantically pretending to clap, then the trademark heart-breaking comeback engineered by Joe Montana and Dan Devine's one-finger farewell. We left the field that day knowing that we could play with ANYONE.

Now for the wins: 1967 ... the "Orange Shoes" game. The 10th-ranked Wuffies had a stellar defense, but their claim to fame (for whatever reason) was wearing white shoes. The night before the game, Coach Howard decided to go them one better. He had the team managers up all night painting the team's shoes orange. The Tigers had the better D that day, holding the Wuffies to a 14-6 loss. It was the first time Clemson had beaten a Top 10 team in the Valley.

1976 ... Where's the team? In what turned out to be Red Parker's last game at Clemson, a struggling but improving team (including young QB Steve Fuller and a decent WR named Jerry Butler) closed out a sub-.500 season vs. the Capons. A win over the Tigers reportedly would earn the Capons a bid to the Peach Bowl. But as the visitors warmed up on the Valley floor, there was no Clemson. No team, not managers, just a blank half of the field.

Turns are the Tigers were warming up over in the soccer field (I'm not sure what I.M. Ibrahim thought of that!) mainly to keep the team focused on the previous year's 56-20 blistering by UCS. They got to chew on that until they appeared at the top of the hill in front of what was a then-record crowd. The place was literally up for grabs at that point and didn't calm down as Warren Ratchford and Trace Perry plowed through the Capon D for nearly 300 rushing yards. Even though the win didn't save Red Parker, I always felt it ushered that era of Clemson football that culminated 15 years later with a national title.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Excellent list! Not a bad choice in the bunch...

Oct 31, 2018, 6:55 PM

Was a student for 76 game. Amazing game, amazing crowd.

Wasn't it the 1966 game vs UVa when

Oct 31, 2018, 6:58 PM [ in reply to Excellent list! Not a bad choice in the bunch... ]

Jimmy "The Needle" Addison engineered a phenominal comeback over the 'hoos and also spawned Coach Howard's famout retort about UVa being "white meat". After so many years and so many games, I may have the dates wrong on this one....if I do, please forgive.

BTW.....good to see you back serving and volleying on the board again!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wasn't it the 1966 game vs UVa when

Oct 31, 2018, 8:41 PM

I graduated in 1966 and I was there. You are correct about how well "The Needle" played but I think the game was 1965.

Thanks, Rev--needed a more seasoned Tiger's perspective!

Oct 31, 2018, 8:09 PM [ in reply to Excellent list! Not a bad choice in the bunch... ]

Didn't former NC State HC and personal favorite ACC personality Chuck Amato play in the Orange Shoes game?

Excellent memory!

Oct 31, 2018, 8:55 PM

He wore the white shoes before trading them in for clown shoes.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I miss that dude! He was more fun than Dave Doeren...***

Oct 31, 2018, 9:00 PM

15 years later?

Mar 13, 2020, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Excellent list! Not a bad choice in the bunch... ]

Never knew Ken Hatfield won a natty at Clemson. J/k, typo, I guess.

Oct 31, 2018, 6:37 PM

1980 coots and orange pants set the tone for the 1981 natty.

Oct 31, 2018, 7:00 PM

I'm thinking a youngsters list is a bit different than an oldsters. Not better or worse, just different. All of them have merit.

Oct 31, 2018, 8:43 PM

Amen to that. Class of '66.

Oct 31, 2018, 8:23 PM

ND rain game.

Oct 31, 2018, 8:33 PM

Do not remember who the opponent was but the year was 1954. I had just moved from Westchester County NY to Liberty, SC and sat on the Hill for 50 cents. Have been a Tiger and in love with Clemson ever since. Class of 1966. Really blessed!

Oct 31, 2018, 8:55 PM

One of my favorite Death Valley victories was the Clemson victory over Virginia on Sept. 20, 1969. This officially ended the last Rat Season. Yes, I am age flatulence, but it was a good time in un-airconditioned Johnstone Hall.

What a charmed life I (and many others here) have lived!

Oct 31, 2018, 9:01 PM

I was at every game listed by all, except the N.C State and Alabama games due to age. Had just told my neighbor, who went to his first Clemson game with me for Syracuse, how many great historic games I had seen in the Valley!
And there is more to come!

Mine

Oct 31, 2018, 9:37 PM

1) Jawja 1981
2) Notre Dame 1977. A loss, but marked the return to big time football
3) Maryland 1983 a million balloons and a rout for an ACC Championship
4) Scar 1980 orange britches and Willie Underwood. Momentum for 1981
5) FSU 2003
6) Jawja 1987 Treadwell at the buzzer
7) Scar 2014 Deshawn on one leg
8) Scar 2000 the Catch II
9) Notre Dame 2016 the monsoon
10) Furman 2003. Dad's last game as The Voice
11) MTSU 2003 life of The Voice celebrated

The last 2 are just personal favs ??

Add the 1982 Clemson - USC game

Oct 31, 2018, 10:00 PM

when Clemson ran down the hill after after a 3 year hiatus.
Also the 1976 game when the team scrimmaged on the soccer field instead of warming up in the stadium.
No onw knew what was happening until they ran down the hill in dirty uniforms.
Along with the 1980 orange pants game those are 2 more times when there was "a moment of stunned silence" when the team appeared.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Add the 1982 Clemson - USC game

Nov 1, 2018, 5:03 AM

All the home games of 1974. Beat both Agnes Scott males and OOGLY. Beat Chapped Heels, when they had already been picked for a bowl game and we were left out. And beating the Broad River Diversion Canal school while serenading Toothpaste Paul into his retirement from Tiger Band. This was the last game for Tiger band wearing the Busbee at Home. I was a member.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic