Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Everyone calm down..it’s just growing pains
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Everyone calm down..it’s just growing pains

Jun 9, 2020, 10:09 PM

Clemson (like the rest of the nation) is going through growing pains (prob. what Dabo was referring to as a historic moment). I wish it was a smoother ride; Nevertheless, it is necessary if we truly are going to consider and sustain our nation as the leader of the world and the shining light on the hill.

Regarding history, we have to accept the good with the bad, while distinguishing the progress we have made over the decades. (There’s a lot of good to be proud of as I was reminded in remembrance of D-Day last week). And the bad, although none of us are to blame, is still a part of the American story that will never be erased; however, it can be cast into a shadow in the years to come by the choices we make now.

In 20-30 years, I would much rather prefer a name like Medal of Honor recipient Jimmy Dyees to showcase Tillman Hall. This building is the face of Clemson, you see it on Gameday, On University brochures, etc. Dyees commitment, courage, selflessness, and service exemplifies what I believe Clemson truly is today, and the direction we have been heading. His unwavering love and military heritage go hand in hand with our University, and it’s a story that alumni can be proud of and one that motivates students in the generations to come.

“On April 6, 1917, the United States declared war on Germany, and Clemson's senior class volunteered to President Wilson en masse. A total of 1,549 served and 25 were killed in the line of duty. Medals of Honor were presented to Ensign Daniel Sullivan and Sergeant Evans Foster. During World War II, Clemson supplied more Army officers than any other institution except for Texas A&M. A total of 6,475 served and 370 were killed in the line of duty. A Medal of Honor was presented to LTC Jimmy Dyess a member of Clemson's Class of ’31.

On February 1, 1944, the day preceding Dyess's death, six U.S. Marine snipers were on patrol on Namur Island where Japanese forces had taken up protected positions following the Battle of Kwajalein. The Marine patrol had inadvertently moved behind enemy lines, surrounded on three sides by Japanese forces, where they came under small arms fire from a concealed position. One of the Marines was killed instantly, and four of the remaining five Marines sustained injuries from the attack. One of the injured Marines, Cpl. Frank Pokrop, later recalled, “with no protection and heavy fire coming at us from a few feet away and dusk approaching, we were certain to be killed. All of a sudden Col. Dyess broke through on the right, braving the very heavy fire, and got all of us out of there."

Imagine a future student, Recruit, professor, or visitor reading that on a plaque and something sparking on the inside!

A true leader: A Clemson Needs No Introduction.

As for the others, I have heard great suggestions. In my opinion, Harvey Grantt Honors College sounds very pristine and welcoming.

Message was edited by: TygaJUICEE®

Message was edited by: TygaJUICEE®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Everyone calm down..it’s just growing pains

Jun 9, 2020, 10:18 PM

Or maybe don't name the building after any individual so nobody can complain later.

Jun 9, 2020, 10:25 PM

What could you possibly complain about with Dyees?!

I would be fine with Old Main as well, just thought Dyees story symbolizes Clemson well.

Jun 9, 2020, 10:27 PM

Who knows? Nothing is shocking anymore. I like your ideas though.

It glorifies war? People can always find fault.

Jun 10, 2020, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Everyone calm down..it’s just growing pains ]

But good comments all the way around.

null

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic