Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Joungers who are "in the business" GITT
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 610

Joungers who are "in the business" GITT

Feb 25, 2021, 7:27 AM

We have finally saved up enough for a new roof (thanks Uncle Joe) and are looking at metal vs. architect shingles.

I like metal. Lasts a long time (some issues with the screws but that's it).

I haven't "been in the business" for a long time. And by be in the business I mean I worked at a hardware store through college.

This was back during $4 a gallon when oil prices where through the roof. This lead to many contractors using metal roofs.

What are pros and cons of each? Which is cheaper right now?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Should this be newroof.net?***

Feb 25, 2021, 7:31 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, there are some differences to consider

Feb 25, 2021, 7:35 AM

The first is that one ensures you have a roof over your head. the other, ok, does too. Then again, without either you don't have a roof over your head. I've always enjoyed having a roof over my head - even when camping. Though mostly then it was just the starry sky, except when it was raining and then it was like we didn't have a roof over our head.

I know there is much to consider in this matter. I would encourage you to stay dry, especially when its raining. But that is up to you. To each their own.

Oh, pallets don't do much because they our like indecisive people. what help it might provide is not enough to fully do the job right.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help this morning. Now, I think, I am ready to face the day.

:)

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

I'm no expert, but parents put in a metal roof a couple

Feb 25, 2021, 7:51 AM

years ago and the biggest downside I see is that on the shady backside, it looks like mold/moss is trying to grow on the metal. Also, I cut the shit out of my hands cleaning their gutters once. Shingles last what, 20 years, so how long do you anticipate staying in that place? I would go basic black architectural shingles unless I was going to stay there longterm. Metal roofs may go out of style (if they are in style) and look antiquated. Supposedly the rain sounds good on them, but my parents house is 2-story so you don't really get that effect in the downstairs that I can tell.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Metal is rated for 50 and 99 years

Feb 25, 2021, 7:58 AM

50 for paint, 99 for actual metal. So for long term metal is the way to go. If I was buying a house, a metal roof would be a plus. The issue with metal roofs isn't the metal, it's the rubber bushings that make the screws waterproof. Contractors will sometimes over tighten them which will cause them to leak. Also over time those rubber bushings dry out and will start leaking. New seamless metal seems to fix that by covering the screws.

Not sure if this is the forever house. With the community, I wouldn't want to leave until the kids were older. My daughter's best friend lives right across the road.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of course all of this could have changed since

Feb 25, 2021, 8:00 AM

I was last in the hardware store

Dark shingles add up to 35% on your cooling costs

Feb 25, 2021, 8:07 AM [ in reply to I'm no expert, but parents put in a metal roof a couple ]

Shiny silver metal is best, followed by white shingles

Also, while you’re up there put a solar powered eave fan with an 80 deg F thermo switch and you’ll save enough to make your truck payments

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

I ain't going up there. That's a project beyond my

Feb 25, 2021, 8:09 AM

reach

Ok, while they’re up there have them install

Feb 25, 2021, 8:15 AM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G7XCMQI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_J917NF2ZF27KB9Q0NWG6

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Hey, speaking of a shady backsides..

Feb 25, 2021, 10:28 AM [ in reply to I'm no expert, but parents put in a metal roof a couple ]

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is all you need

Feb 25, 2021, 8:13 AM

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/36f8d248-a264-4983-a28f-b4c13b645336_1.d7409b2cc6b8bd608ece323f9d32198f.jpeg

Espicially whenh combined with a Phil Swift endorsement

Feb 25, 2021, 8:16 AM

https://www.flexsealproducts.com/

“To See a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.” WB

that and a few pallets and he is set.***

Feb 25, 2021, 8:58 AM [ in reply to This is all you need ]

This story is completely fabricated

Feb 25, 2021, 8:23 AM

We all know you didnt go to college

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

I’ve got a sneaky suspicion

Feb 25, 2021, 8:32 AM

That you definitely don’t have enough money saved up for a roof.

He's had the kids shooting bb's at the roof all week.

Feb 25, 2021, 8:36 AM

Gone through $25 in BB's, but it'll all pay off when the adjuster gets there next week.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beautiful***

Feb 25, 2021, 8:38 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Re: He's had the kids shooting bb's at the roof all week.

Feb 25, 2021, 8:39 AM [ in reply to He's had the kids shooting bb's at the roof all week. ]

Taking Notes GIFs | Tenor

lol..a metal roof, huh?***

Feb 25, 2021, 9:04 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only business I'm in is your mom's business

Feb 25, 2021, 10:52 AM

HOOOOOOOOO-YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

it's her

Feb 25, 2021, 11:05 AM

ass fault

I'll be here all week. Try the veal