Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Enjoy the ride...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Enjoy the ride...

Oct 28, 2015, 6:37 AM

As I sat in the soaking rain, I witnessed one of the most incredible defensive stands that I can remember. Notre Dame’s quarterback had just marched his team down the field for another 4th quarter touchdown. Drawing from their playbook, Notre Dame chose to run the exact same play that earlier had resulted in a touchdown, in an attempt to tie the score. Reading the play and executing to perfection, our defense stood strong, snuffing out Notre Dame’s chances for victory.

As I sat in the Louisiana Superdome in 1981, I watched nervously as Tulane was leading our unranked Tigers 5-0 in the first quarter. We left New Orleans with a 13-5 victory. The next week the #4 Dawgs strutted in to Death Valley for another low scoring brawl, leaving Tiger Town with a 13-3 loss. Climbing in the polls to #4, our men handed N.C. State a 17-7 loss.

As the season rambled on, our Clemson Tigers grew stronger with a cohesiveness that was best exemplified by the 82-24 thrashing of Wake Forest. One more low scoring Top Ten battle, and the #8 Tar Heels took a whipping as our Tigers rode the bus home on the wheels of a 10-8 victory.

What a ride. I was fortune to have been in Tiger Band (drummer - quads), and was honored and delighted to have the privilege of going to every game. Each week we felt that something special was coming our way.

Other teams lost, and we just kept on winning - one tough game at a time. Soon, as major upsets occurred, we were on our way to play mighty Nebraska. I remember walking around Miami wearing my Clemson gear, hearing “Clemszon Who?”; where is “Clemszon”?? The Cornhuskers were larger than life and we were going to play them for the National Championship. I could not begin to fathom what was going on at the time. And we won

So, my fellow Tiger Faithful - don’t spend too much time trying to figure all of this out; as my Dad said “While you are trying to figure it all out, life is happening”.

So, sit back and enjoy the ride

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

~• Other than THAT Jackie, how was the parade? •~

And ALL the Tiger Faithful said

Oct 28, 2015, 6:42 AM

AMEN !!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Enjoy the ride...

Oct 28, 2015, 6:42 AM

Thanks!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember the same feeling. Something special was about

Oct 28, 2015, 6:51 AM

to happen and it did !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post! By the time of that championship game, I was in

Oct 28, 2015, 7:02 AM

my 30's, having graduated from Clemson in May 1969.

I recall thinking, "What a heck of a time to be a student," and for you to have been in Tiger Band in Miami had to be special.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great post! By the time of that championship game, I was in

Oct 28, 2015, 7:10 AM

Thank you Hartins. It was a very special time. Man, I love Clemson!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This one has the potential to be even more special.

Oct 28, 2015, 7:12 AM

We had to have help from others really late in the season to even have a shot in '81. Now, just over halfway through, we are positioned exactly where we need to be, and hold our destiny in our hands alone. We will get everybody's best shot every game from here on out, and it is up to us to rise above and keep the dream alive. It is a great time to be a Tiger, savor every minute of it!

ps, I am jealous of you for being at Clemson during the title run in '81. Needless to say, during my time at Clemson 1972-76, we weren't very good on the field. (We were undefeated at home in '76 though!)

Re: This one has the potential to be even more special.

Oct 28, 2015, 8:00 AM

You are so right 76er. We all need to enjoy and cherish every minute of this season. Funny thing is, in '81 we had no expectations of even having a winning season (6-5 the year before).

Tiger Band was a blast - was able to go to all the away games over a 3 year period.

I'll never forget the feeling I had as the clock ticked away at the Orange Bowl. We just won the National Championship - I remember that feeling to this day.

Re: Enjoy the ride...I too witnessed those games as well!

Oct 28, 2015, 7:36 AM

What a great year. This year seems special as well.

GO TIGERS WHACK DA PACK!

Oct 28, 2015, 7:55 AM

Great post!!!

Oct 28, 2015, 8:00 AM

I was born in 1981 so it's special to me and also being an Alumni makes it all the more spectacular. Grew up in Anderson County. I try not to obsess about it too much due to the past but it's a hard thing not to do. I believe this tiger team is different and has that killer instinct to go all the way and hush all the naysayers. Just keep winning tigers.....

Oct 28, 2015, 8:06 AM

Awesome. I'm an Anderson county boy, too. Grew up in Clemson (Morrison Elementary), moved to Athens (Dad got his doctorate at UGA), then moved back to Pendleton (Dad taught at Clemson for 31 years so maybe we can forgive the Athens stint)!!!

Oct 28, 2015, 10:15 AM

I would like to move back. Been in the low country for 5 years now but really miss being around the family more than anything. Miss the upstate atmosphere. The low country has its perks also but there is no place like home.

Oct 28, 2015, 10:31 AM

I know what you mean. After Clemson I went to MUSC and lived in Charleston for several years. Always nice to come home.

81 was my freshman year....

Oct 28, 2015, 8:47 AM

and I remember that no one really started to seriously consider what the 81 team could potentially accomplish until after the UNC win in Chapel Hill. Everyone around campus exhibited a very quiet confidence.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: 81 was my freshman year....

Oct 28, 2015, 8:56 AM

I remember that feeling around campus. Man, that was fun!!

hey...it's happening AGAIN in 2015 I say

Oct 28, 2015, 10:02 AM

So git eR Done T??GERS..keep ROCKing!

??????????????????????????????

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That year...we were just not going to let anyone beat us*******

Oct 28, 2015, 10:18 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic