Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Empty corners in the upper deck
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Empty corners in the upper deck

Feb 13, 2018, 1:50 PM

Students not coming to football games.

It's not just at Clemson

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-heads-in-wrong-direction-with-largest-attendance-drop-in-34-years/

Must have something to do with the Tigers winning a Natty. Last big drop was in '82.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Re: Empty corners in the upper deck

Feb 13, 2018, 1:53 PM

Think the last drop was after 1982, so the 1983 season per the article.

It's cyclical, some years it goes up and some years it goes down.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The main

Feb 13, 2018, 2:22 PM

issue with students is the new convoluted ticketing system put in place through advise from Student Government.. who don't represent the typical student who actually care about athletic events.

Getting rid of block seating for organizations was a horrid idea.. but if that gets fixed.. students will be packing the stadium like normal.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The main

Feb 13, 2018, 2:31 PM

Yeah, students complaining about the free tickets.

They should take it up with Student Government and IPTAY instead of whining and crying that life isn't fair.

When it was offered to pay for season tickets it was shot down so quick, yet that would clear up a lot of the issues as the vast majority of D1 programs do that.

I was there when it was camping out and when it switched over to online and I never ever had an issue with it, so unless something changed between 2016 and 2017 with the online system there isn't a leg to stand on because it wasn't an issue in previous years.

why sit up there when u can watch in HD from the TV***

Feb 13, 2018, 2:00 PM

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hotel, gas, tickets ... $$$ got stupid. Salaries stagnant.

Feb 13, 2018, 2:50 PM

Cost of living up

There is an economic lesson in here somewhere.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hotel, gas, tickets ... $$$ got stupid. Salaries stagnant.

Feb 14, 2018, 10:03 AM

Students don't need a hotel, or gas, and they don't pay for their ticket. Most of them also don't have a salary. Soooo....huh?

Soooo....you didn't read the article in the OP?

Feb 14, 2018, 10:04 AM

Because then you would see it was talking about attendance decline in college football.

Re: Soooo....you didn't read the article in the OP?

Feb 14, 2018, 10:10 AM

I read the posts here, all of which up to this point are discussing student attendance...

Re: Soooo....you didn't read the article in the OP?

Feb 14, 2018, 10:31 AM

There was one post referring to students, and one response above your post.

Feb 13, 2018, 2:52 PM

Spoke of losing the students in sporting events. In that students are future boosters and game day ticket buyers you would think they would be payed attention to ... ie the hill

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

I'm not gonna lie jean.

Feb 13, 2018, 2:54 PM

I have no idea what you just said.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting article. Clemson's attendance was unchanged

Feb 13, 2018, 2:56 PM

from 2016 to 2017, I think. How long we can buck the trend, who knows. Regardless, if the numbers keep dropping, a lot will change in what is presented.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2018, 3:01 PM

I know in the 60’s and 70’s if you were in college and some that weren’t, if you weren’t at a football game on Saturday there was something wrong. I mean it was just something you did. Beyond me that as a student you wouldn’t be there. I guess times are different.

Many a Saturday we’d be in Tigertown in the afternoon and back at Newberry, PC, or usuc at night for that game.

Long winded way of saying that I can’t identify with the students of today.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Funny little mention of conference expansions and

Feb 13, 2018, 3:53 PM

realignment and the doing away with great rivalry games. For one, give people old school regional rivalry games they want to see not conference games of schools 800 miles apart.

Feb 14, 2018, 3:45 AM

Clemson has to address the Hill and student tickets to all events.

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

I'm sure has nothing to do with prices going up every year.***

Feb 14, 2018, 7:37 AM

Feb 14, 2018, 8:16 AM

The same people complaining about lack of student participation are many of the same ones that believe parents are whining when it comes to Clemson admissions. So Clemson is an elite school in terms of admissions. Don’t complain when when you show up to Gameday and your students don’t. Our admissions standards are slowly turning Clemson into Chapel Hill. If you don’t want sweater vest and empty seats, increase the admissions for legacies and SC kids.

It's GOT to have somethning to do with Bridge students!***

Feb 14, 2018, 8:57 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2018, 9:25 AM

After seeing a similar article on Soundoff, I looked at the NCAA attendance figures for the last few years. Clemson suffered a fairly significant drop in attendance from 15 to 16 which to be honest shocked me greatly as both years were two of the greatest in Clemson history.

Per the figures reported by Clemson for the NCAA report each year, Clemson averaged just over 84k attendance per home game in 15 and dropped to just under 81k per home game in 16. I would have never expected little over 30000 per game average drop in attendance between the 15 and 16 seasons. I would have lost the farm if I had to bet on it. It dropped again from 16 to 17 but only by about 200 per game.

Here is the link to the records by year if anyone is interested.

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/ncaa-football-attendance

Feb 14, 2018, 9:27 AM

Oops one to many zeros in that one due to my fat fingered typing and can’t edit.

*little over 3000 per game

Feb 14, 2018, 10:28 AM

I don't think some of you are giving enough credit to how many games are on tv each week now compared to the past. There's hardly any game that isn't either on cable tv, or at least available via ESPN3. Most people are still going to make the big games in person, but not so long ago if you wanted to see Clemson vs. SC State you'd have to be there in person. These days it's easy for someone to decide it's not worth making that trip when they can easily find it on tv.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic