Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Elliott to interview with Auburn?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Elliott to interview with Auburn?

Dec 18, 2020, 7:41 PM

I'm posting this for information purposes only.

In addition to in-house candidate Kevin Steele, multiple sources confirm to FootballScoop that Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian, Clemson offensive coordinator Tony Elliott and Louisiana head coach Billy Napier are slated to speak this weekend to Tigers’ officials.

The source is footballscoop.com, a site devoted to reporting rumors.

Clemson plays at 4:00, Bama at 8:00. The interview committee will have a full Sunday if this report is accurate.

I can't believe Auburn would be looking seriously at Elliott. Not because he isn't a good coach, but because Auburn is catching all kinds of grief from their fans who think they are gonna hire Kevin Steele. They have already started a twitter campaign, #stopkevinsteele, which is trending on twitter. Fans are upset they didn't get Cristobal. They now want Lane Kiffin. They would go ballistic if they had to "settle" for an OC from outside the SEC. They want a "big name." They want a "name with sizzle."

I think Napier would take the job if offered.

My guess is if they don't get Freeze, it will be Sark or Napier.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Elliott to interview with Auburn?

Dec 18, 2020, 7:44 PM

My gut tells me Sark the lush or Freezer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just don’t see any “sizzle” with Napier

Dec 18, 2020, 7:45 PM

Nothing against him, but there doesn’t seem to be anything exciting about him. Maybe they like the fact that he was on the “inside” at Bama?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I just don’t see any “sizzle” with Napier

Dec 18, 2020, 8:48 PM

I agree with you. Napier is highly thought of in the coaching carousel. He's one of the "hot names" every year. But, he doesn't have the "sizzle."

The big name was Cristobal. He's out. The sizzle names are Freeze and Kiffin. Both come with baggage.

If they don't go after some other "big name" like Joe Brady or Matt Campbell I think they may "settle" for Sark or Napier.

I think both of them have a stronger resume (and, thus would be more acceptable to their fans) than Elliott. Not saying either would be a better coach, just saying they would have a better acceptance among the fans and the big money guys.

Remember, this is the team that hired Gene Chizik who was met at the airport by some guy screaming, "You suck!" Elliott doesn't need to walk into that kind of situation, where he is not accepted by the fans from day one.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I just don’t see any “sizzle” with Napier

Dec 19, 2020, 12:57 AM

BretFSU - Joe Brady isn't going anywhere my friend! At 30 y.o. he is already the 2nd highest paid OC in the league. And, he works for an owner that is willing to spend the money!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My wife is a former All SEC Volleyball player at Auburn

Dec 18, 2020, 7:55 PM

and when I read below that Lane Kiffin might go to Auburn she almost had a stroke. My wife follows college football, and if Lane Kiffin is head coach at Auburn it would be over her dead body. All of her teammates also hate Lane Kiffin.

Not to mention, wherever he coaches the NCAA will be sending investigators after his first couple of recruiting classes.

I could be dead wrong, but for his first head coaching job,

Dec 18, 2020, 7:55 PM

I think Tony Elliot has far too gentle a soul to survive in the overall vileness that is the SEC. He at least better have a LONG talk with The Chad before taking it on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coach Elliott will be a great head coach if the school

Dec 18, 2020, 8:03 PM

that hires him gives him the salary budget needed to hire successful assistant coaches for a Power 5 school.

I'm not saying he eventually wouldn't be. I'm just saying,

Dec 18, 2020, 8:08 PM

as an example, if you have never water skied before, you don't start out Barefooting.

And, I know, everybody wants to use Dabo as an example that is similar. Dabo, if you haven't realized it by now, is a Unique Individual. Nobody is going to hire the Next Dabo, just like nobody is going to hire the Next Saban. Each case is different.

Message was edited by: 76er®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am hearing Jason Brown

Dec 18, 2020, 7:59 PM

formally coached at Independence Community College is their leading candidate.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is not the job for Elliott

Dec 19, 2020, 12:14 AM

in my opinion.

Yes, they need to hire an offensive guy. Sark seems like an attractive candidate but he has some serious issues. The guy would have been fired from UW but USC saved his career by hiring him. His problems at USC are well known and the way it ended there was really really bad.

Kevin Steele is one of those guys who should not be a head coach. He'll last 2 year max. His time at Baylor was a complete disaster and it ended with a very loud bang.

If Kiffin leaves Ole Miss, it will be the 2nd time he's left an SEC school after one season. The fact he's willing to do it again should be a red flag.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is not the job for Elliott

Dec 19, 2020, 8:19 AM

I can’t see paying a $21M buyout to a guy who avg 8-9 wins a season to hire a coordinator with zero HC experience. No knock on Tony as I believe he could be a good HC but anyone without exp as a HC is a risk

Dec 19, 2020, 8:25 AM

According to this, I can only hope and assume hilariously wrong article, auburn insiders see claiming BV as also interviewing.

https://auburnwire.usatoday.com/lists/auburn-coaching-search-five-candidates-kevin-steele-billy-napier-steve-sarkisian-tony-elliott-brent-venables/

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Elliot's Offense Is one of the few to beat Saban

Dec 19, 2020, 8:29 AM

That is a big deal.

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Re: Elliot's Offense Is one of the few to beat Saban

Dec 19, 2020, 8:47 AM

No offense to Tony but if he even entertained a conversation this week with any team, then goodbye, don't let the door hit ya. That'd be a slam to Dabo with all that Dabo has done for him.

Your point on beating Bama. Both times he had Scott with him as well as generational QB's that quite honestly, bailed both of em out with the ability to improvise and create something.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2020, 8:51 AM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/TNET-Tony-Elliott-releases-statement-on-Auburn-coaching-rumors-2043432?tstart=0

Dec 19, 2020, 9:46 AM

Thanks TonyCrumpton! I figured about as much; an honestly believe this isn't coach speak! Tony is an alum of Clemson! He and Dabo are friends! He is getting compensated greater than a bunch of head coaches at other schools! And, he hasn't been throwing his name all over the place for interviews. He has the 9th ranked offense in the country and averages over 500 yards a game! No Coach Scott! Love that dude too; but if you are going to go by perceived weaknesses ( look at the data is all I can say ).
Clemson for this group of coaches is very unique and is built for the long haul.

Personally, just like the LSU poster that posted an anti-Dabo recruiting video - because in essence - that is what it was. This fake news of Coach Elliott is much the same. Something designed to distract recruits or entice recruits to where someone that is a part of something great is going. Or just plain fodder meant to distract Clemson staff/players with b.s. Look at the timing and question it every time right before a big game. """"REALLY"""""" is what you should be saying! Any school wanting someone that bad would respect the situation - and is why I thought it was fake all along! Yes, even Auburn!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic