Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Earlier someone asked about Etienne and "Successful" Runs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

Earlier someone asked about Etienne and "Successful" Runs

Oct 17, 2018, 12:48 AM

I remember hearing this metric before, so looked it up and found this link: http://www.footballperspective.com/running-back-success-rate/

In short his definition of a successful run is one that does one of the following:
1) on First Down achieves 40% of needed yardage.
2) on Second Down achieves 50% of needed yardage.
3) on ANY down results in a First Down or Touchdown.

Note: He (and I) throws out 3rd/4th down rushes when the needed yardage is greater than 5 yards as typically these are draws/rushes that are called simply to gain yards in preparation for a punt.

Here are the calculations for Etienne in case anyone is interested in playing around with them.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ONtd9lby_W_0-fBh0THHYJpXNgG1acMAE-5ZVRsdAhY/edit?usp=sharing

NOTE: My numbers are derived from the NCAA.COM play by play, which vary a bit in totals with his official stats, (ie number of rushes is the same, but his play by play total has him with about 20 more yards than his official stats). I'm unsure of why that discrepancy exists.

Here's the summary

Etienne

Total Number of Rushes: 83
Total Number Of Yards: 789
Yards/Rush: 9.506

Number of Rushes Eligible For Success: 82
Number of Successful Rushes 61
Percentage Successful 74.390%
Number of Non Successful Rushes: 21
Percentage Non Successful: 25.610%

So it seems like, if my calculations are correct, he has successful runs almost 75% of the time, which is well above the link's suggestion of around 50% being average.

/TLDR
Etienne is very very good

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, that's awesome. Thanks!***

Oct 17, 2018, 8:17 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Earlier someone asked about Etienne and "Successful" Runs

Oct 17, 2018, 2:30 PM

I was the guy who asked earlier. Neat analysis, thanks for taking the time. That feels about right, 75% of the time you hand the ball to Travis, you have a successful play. Are you listening ScELLIOT?

I'm playing with your dataset a little bit more and I found a couple other nuggets:
Travis is averaging 9.5 YPC.
He had 7 touchdown runs that were under his current average of 9.5 YPC
If I just completely factor those out of his average, because clearly he couldn't have run for any more yards on these, and clearly it was a successful play, he's actually averaging 10.1 YPC, or a first down per carry.

Amazing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic