Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN Anchor Admits Network Failing Because Of Politics.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

ESPN Anchor Admits Network Failing Because Of Politics.

May 1, 2017, 8:13 PM

http://www.dailywire.com/news/15835/espn-anchor-admits-network-failing-because-hank-berrien?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=102516-podcast&utm_campaign=beingconservative#

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ESPN Anchor Admits Network Failing Because Of Politics.

May 1, 2017, 8:19 PM

She stated exactly why I quit watching. The Jenner award pissed me off.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hated that to.***

May 1, 2017, 8:22 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Things like that shouldn't affect you so much

May 1, 2017, 10:05 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN Anchor Admits Network Failing Because Of Politics. ]

has nothing to do with you, has no effect on your life, etc., etc. etc. Live and let live is the best prescription.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Things like that shouldn't affect you so much

May 1, 2017, 10:37 PM

It has everything to do with him. He stated that he didn't like it so he stopped watching. Tens of thousands feel the same way, hence the point of the article. It alienated the viewers and ratings keep dropping.

Re: Things like that shouldn't affect you so much

May 1, 2017, 10:44 PM [ in reply to Things like that shouldn't affect you so much ]

that is not the snow flake way

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 1, 2017, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN Anchor Admits Network Failing Because Of Politics. ]

Yep, after that carp I only watch games on ESPN, no shows.

May 1, 2017, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN Anchor Admits Network Failing Because Of Politics. ]

Thanks for reminding me of the time when the Caitlyn Jenner Award got underneath the skin of all you snowflakes. People like you cried all over social media. It was hysterical.

When you give a sporting award to some1 for none

May 2, 2017, 7:53 AM

Sport related reasons, yeah it should puss you off.

That's like the coaches son getting the mvp award when he is the 5th best player.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

May 2, 2017, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Re: ESPN Anchor Admits Network Failing Because Of Politics. ]

You've got to admit that was one of the most ridiculous, laughable, mind boggling moments in human history when a sports award was given to a man for turning himself into a woman....

May 1, 2017, 8:55 PM

ESPN broadcasting games or showing game highlights = the very best of television
ESPN non game related broadcast = I don't watch that
Non game interruptions or player beat down commentary on ESPN during the game broadcast = skip the live broadcast and watch the shortened rebroadcast or highlights or well done edited version on you tube

ESPN IS IT'S OWN WORST ENEMY. My 87 year old mother watches the games on ESPN, OTHERWISE, she watches the game show channel.

Might be part of it, but it's definitely not the biggest

May 1, 2017, 9:00 PM

reason.

Re: Might be part of it, but it's definitely not the biggest

May 1, 2017, 9:12 PM

Cable is too expensive and there are too many other options now. That's the main killer.

But some of those willing to leave that cable uncut despite

May 1, 2017, 9:24 PM

the cost because of access to ESPN game broadcasts found that decision easier to make.

ESPN has not helped itself by tying online access to your cable provider or cell phone provider.

Demon Deacon problems? There's an app for that too, and it ain't buggy like that yellowjacket repellant:

May 1, 2017, 9:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Might be part of it, but it's definitely not the biggest ]

Exactly. Politics is a very very very small reason.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wouldn't go that far. It's bigger than you think.***

May 1, 2017, 9:43 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Any viewers that "politics" on ESPN would bother

May 1, 2017, 10:00 PM

probably aren't in the demographics that the sponsors want anyway. Cord-cutters aren't exactly appealing to the sponsors either.

Re: I wouldn't go that far. It's bigger than you think.***

May 1, 2017, 10:09 PM [ in reply to I wouldn't go that far. It's bigger than you think.*** ]

Prove me wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 1, 2017, 10:13 PM

It's right below you

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1694991&tstart=0

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

May 1, 2017, 10:30 PM

Appearing on 77 WABC’s Bernie and Sid Show, Cohn said one reason for the cutbacks was the political nature of the network’s programming. She stated, “That is definitely a percentage of it. I don’t know how big a percentage, but if anyone wants to ignore that fact, they’re blind.”

I agree. And I'm not blind. It is a percentage of it. I don't doubt that one bit. But I think it is a very very very small percentage.

The bigger issue relates to folks cutting out cable completely and then going alacart online or not at all. ESPN could have the same programming from 10 years ago (you know what I mean) and they would still be failing. It's all those non-sports watching folks cancelling their cable and just watching Netflix that is scr3wing them.

May 1, 2017, 10:46 PM

come on 92, why wont you admit that Linda Cohn is the expert on cable ratings and her opinions on the matter are the gospel. And of course they just went through massive layoffs, so I doubt she has an axe to grind. Had they provided detailed polling and customer analytics supporting this argument, only then I would have been skeptical of this claim.

I wasn't talking about lefty bias.***

May 2, 2017, 10:05 AM [ in reply to I wouldn't go that far. It's bigger than you think.*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Funny you say that when they market themselves

May 1, 2017, 9:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Might be part of it, but it's definitely not the biggest ]

almost exclusively to The SEC and the states those teams reside in. The people that reside in those in most part happen to have the exact opposite political view ESPN/DISNEY has. In addition to that, mainly covering SEC teams the majority of the time turns fans of opposing conferences/teams away. The cable thing has a part in it as well, but not as large as the other two I mentioned.

Message was edited by: gville76®

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: Funny you say that when they market themselves

May 1, 2017, 10:29 PM

This ^^^^

Re: Funny you say that when they market themselves

May 2, 2017, 3:52 AM [ in reply to Funny you say that when they market themselves ]

Very well said. Before the playoffs, they were part of the sec propaganda machine that influenced the polls. Who remembers bama and lsu part duex? I hate to admit it, but back then I was fooled by the hype, until my eyes were opened a few years later.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was the reason for me***

May 2, 2017, 5:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Might be part of it, but it's definitely not the biggest ]

The ONLY time I watch ESPN is when Clemson is

May 2, 2017, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Might be part of it, but it's definitely not the biggest ]

playing on that network. I used to watch it frequently but stopped solely because of their political agenda. I think it's a much bigger percentage than you think.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

May 1, 2017, 9:33 PM [ in reply to Might be part of it, but it's definitely not the biggest ]

Then what is?? Most don't like this bs gender that been shove down our throats

Maybe I am naive, but I wonder whether most people care.

May 1, 2017, 10:23 PM

Like someone said above, I'm not sure why some seem so upset about something that probably doesn't actually affect them.

The REAL problem...

May 2, 2017, 12:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Might be part of it, but it's definitely not the biggest ]

new technology has resulted in a significant decline in cable and satellite subscriber bases.

Are there other contributing factors? Absolutely !!!

As an example, ESPN grossly over-paid for the exclusive right to broadcast all SEC sports and they did so without understanding that cable and satellite subscriber bases would decline so significantly.

This issue was exacerbated when ESPN then attempted to espouse a self-serving agenda on its entire viewing audience and frankly, a large segment of their viewers got sick of their obvious and blatant bias and stopped watching.

While it may feel good to think that ESPN is declining due to politics or the evil SEC, as some others have mentioned, and while I believe those issues were contributing factors, albeit minor ones, the biggest reason is the changing landscape in how the consumer watches and pays for video products.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

May 2, 2017, 7:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Might be part of it, but it's definitely not the biggest ]

Cord cutters are the reason ESPN is struggling not their BS political crap.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

ESPiN is failing because they've pumped the SEC into...

May 1, 2017, 10:28 PM

oblivion. They talked the SEC up so much that people across the land got tired of tuning into the ESecPN channel. We all found something else to do.

I haven't been exposed to much of their political bs due to being busy with anything else. Heck, I'll watch old reruns of King of the Hill before I expose myself to ESPiN's bullchit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That may have exacerbated the problem...

May 2, 2017, 12:41 AM

but the biggest issue is new technology has resulted in a significant decline in cable and satellite subscriber bases.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

May 1, 2017, 10:33 PM

It is such a shame to see so many house holds don't own a remote. It must be terrible to be subjected to programming you do not like while the rest of us first worlders change the channel to something else. This comes in very handy for me when A&E decides it wants to show a 6 hour duck dynasty marathon. And I am certainly not going to trash the entire network because they also provide programming that appeals people not name tigerbalm1.

And like a lot of cord cutters, I cancel ESPN on Sling when Football and Basketball season are over, so the timing of these layoffs should not come as a shock.

There a myriad of reasons why ESPN is having troubles...

May 1, 2017, 11:46 PM

politics ain't one of them. ESPN has always covered and actually used to cover more on social political issues that crossed over into sports. Only thing that's changed is middle age and old white male right wingers throw hissy fits on the internet when a far right point of view isn't being pushed. Thing is trying to appeal to a demographic that is dying off, doesn't use new aspects of the digital spectrum, and doesn't care for most sports being covered isn't going to increase ESPN's viewership. Appealing to a demographic that hates the second most popular pro sport, the NBA, would cost them to lose more viewers than they have already lost.

Case in point is the benign Michael Smith and Jemelle Hill, both who are the opposite of screaming Stephen A Smith, who these middle aged and old right wing males hate. ESPN went with them because they resonate more with young people. Young people who consume the all important digital content that cable channels are depending more on for revenue.

But like I said before you must have just started watching ESPN if you think it's new for them to cover social political issues that cross over into sports.

Re: There a myriad of reasons why ESPN is having troubles...

May 2, 2017, 12:03 AM

Their bloated TV rights contracts are eating them alive.

Exactly, and hiring too many people...

May 2, 2017, 12:08 AM

cable cutters, and not offering service of streaming platforms without a cable subscription.

May 1, 2017, 11:56 PM

Linda Cohn has always been great. Politics certainly plays a part in ESPN's current situation, though I think it's far more linked to overpaying for major broadcasting rights.

Sports & politics have always had an important relationship because it brought attention to important matters when perhaps they weren't being covered...but this was important when people read their local newspaper and maybe watched the nightly news, and that was the extent of their news exposure. Nowadays, it's impossible to avoid having the news shoved in your face every 5 minutes. We're so oversaturated with it that I believe sports needs to shift its role and be an escape from the noise, and hopefully even serve as a uniting force. Whether it's watching TV, browsing social media, or checking out random web stuff, everything is not only political, but generally extremely divisive. However regardless of your political views, I'd argue that 90% of the population would get along fine and would be able to respect one another even if they don't necessarily agree with them.

That's where ESPN's focus on politics becomes a turnoff. They're far & away the largest network, and they've made it pretty clear where they stand politically. The funny thing is, I'd consider myself to be pretty firmly moderate, so I don't necessarily disagree with a lot of what they say...but I still don't want to hear what their political views are. That's not what I watch sports for. As technology continues to evolve, our industries become more specialized...all with the exception of sports media, which seems determined to work its way into social & political issues. This isn't limited to ESPN--they're simply the biggest one out there. Heck, Fox Sports does TMZ Sports, which gets all the gossip of players' social lives. It's total crap. I think this is ultimately why places like SB Nation and Bleacher Report could become the new kings of sports media. You go to their site and you see exactly what you want, when you want it. The quicker companies like ESPN realize they're only hurting themselves, the better we'll all be.

ESPN had covered social political issues that cross over...

May 2, 2017, 12:05 AM

into sports for years. Only difference now is middle aged and old right wing males throwing hissy fits over something that's not pushing a far right wing point of view. If ESPN was liberal they never would have hired Rush Limbaugh. If ESPN was liberal they would have first off never hired Curt Schilling, and they would have gotten rid of him long before the 5 years of him having angry intolerant hissy fits on twitter while he was employed there.

Re: ESPN had covered social political issues that cross over...

May 2, 2017, 12:38 AM

I think the "slant" is a more recent thing--certainly something that would be well after Limbaugh's exit from the network in 2003. I honestly don't think it's overwhelming, it's just not necessary anymore. The outside world has been so politicized, that, in my opinion, sports should be an area of refuge...a place where people can get away from the noise of the outside world and recalibrate.

That's precisely been my thinking a long time.***

May 2, 2017, 8:36 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So they must have been going for a right wing slant when giving Jenner an award..

May 2, 2017, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Re: ESPN had covered social political issues that cross over... ]

since she is a trump supporting Republican who spoke at the Republican national convention. There are a good number of LGBT right wingers. But hey don't let facts get in the way of a false narrative.

May 2, 2017, 7:55 AM [ in reply to ESPN had covered social political issues that cross over... ]

lol Queenie accusing others of throwing hissy fits...

That is good.

May 2, 2017, 8:56 AM [ in reply to ESPN had covered social political issues that cross over... ]

Nawwww Queenie. I think the "hissy fits" are over the constant message that white people are collectively conspiring to hold minorities down. And "hissy fits"!? Do we see more "hissy fits" from whites than blacks these days? When that black guy randomly gunned down a few white people in Cali several weeks ago, was there a huge firestorm of coverage, and protests, and looting? NOPE. Come on man! Your post is as racist as can be. Just smh.

I didn't state anything about race. I mentioned age...

May 2, 2017, 9:54 AM

and political leanings. Which includes right wing transgender people like Caitlyn Jenner or right wing black people like David Clarke or Tim Scott.

May 2, 2017, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: ESPN had covered social political issues that cross over... ]

Yep Queenie is a massive racist who has also been temp banned for homophobic remarks on the board.

May 2, 2017, 7:19 AM

Thank you may I have another....

By the way Caitlyn Jenner is a trump supporting Republican..

May 2, 2017, 9:46 AM

she ain't no liberal. She is a certified right winger. Liberals aren't the only group that has people that are members of the LGBT community. The issue of LGBT people is not a right or left issue. LGBT people have been oppressed in leftist or left leaning countries. And please tell me why they would avoid covering the Kaepernick story? Just because it might hurt the feelings of an aging and dying demographic?

May 2, 2017, 10:26 AM

Y'all have still been watching ESPN? Except for live sports, anyone with a brain stopped watching over a decade ago.

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic