Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I've Beem Retired 35 Yrears
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,964

I've Beem Retired 35 Yrears

Feb 28, 2021, 2:41 PM

Yep, I retired 9n Feb. 28, 1986, at the ripe old age of 64 years and three months. I've figured up my total years of work history and it adds up to 49 years and nine months. By golly, how can that be? That means I started working when I was 14.5 year old. No way Jose !!! I was still in school, about the eighth grade.

Perhaps I should explain how this all happened. I'm not counting the short time jobs I had during the summers and on Saturdays. I had eight years and four months with the Atlantic Coast Line RR. This included my 43 months of military service during WW2. It also included my time at the Univ. of Florida after WW2. To maintain my seniority, every three months I had to request a leave of absence stating I was in school and not gainfully employed.

My total time in the Army was six years and seven months including four years and seven months on active duty. I had 37 years and 10 months with the USDA, Agricultural Research Service as a research engineer, including the 43 months of military service during WW2. So, my military time counted towards my time with the ACL RR and the Federal Government.

Following my retirement I joined some friends on the golf course on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I soon began to think about doing some consulting when a company in Argentina contacted me about a three month job. Inflation was growing by leaps and bounds on a daily basis in Argentina and we could could never get all of the details ironed out so I finally decided to play more golf. One day, while playing golf, my wife received a call from a gentleman in Kansas wanting to know If I would be interested in joining his consulting company and going to Pakistan. My wife told him I would probably not be interested. He gave my wife his phone number and asked that I call him.

I made a call to the gentleman and he made me an offer that was difficult to turn down. He already had a job lined up in Pakistan with the Cotton Export Corp. So I joined Fort/AIC Consultants and went tp Pakistan in 1992 and 1993. At the conclusion of our initial project I was asked to stay a little longer and develop plans for a research facility. This included general lay-out of the facility, machinery requirements, staffing and training requirements, projected research studies and a host of other related activities. When completed, I presented this to the Board and we had an open discussion re my presentation. A couple of days later, as I was making preparations to return home, members of the Board contacted me and asked if I would come back for a year as director of the research facility to get it up and running. I told them I was not interested, citing my age as the main reason, but the real reason was the facility was to be located in an area where I did not want to take my wife for a year.

I thoroughly enjoyed my work over the years. Research is an interesting career, particularly if one has some positive results once in awhile. Even failures provides learning experiences and I've had ,my share of those.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doubt I will come anywhere near 100 but I will surpass

Feb 28, 2021, 3:11 PM

you in this area if not already. Have already worked over 17 years past eligibility for SC State retirement ( at which time I started collecting the retirement check of course) - adds up to over 47 years total. Plus almost 3 full years in the Army ( if you count 10 months in the hospital as time employed). I also worked a few months in a textile mill between Clemson and the draft before the war. Planning to renew my teaching certificate to keep it valid to age 80.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Doubt I will come anywhere near 100 but I will surpass

Feb 28, 2021, 3:29 PM

There is only one requirement for reaching 100, just don't kick the bucket. Otherwise, I have no clue.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 28, 2021, 3:42 PM

I do not know if he is still alive, contact Col. Skardon and ask.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 28, 2021, 3:51 PM

There can be only one highlander

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Passing you in number of years worked, that is - no way

Feb 28, 2021, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Doubt I will come anywhere near 100 but I will surpass ]

to pass you in the number of years in actual retirement

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've Beem Retired 35 Yrears

Mar 1, 2021, 8:33 AM

Please settle this once and for all. Is it Pack-is-stan or Pa-kees-stan per BHO. What is the native pronunciation Joe?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've Beem Retired 35 Yrears

Mar 1, 2021, 11:53 AM

We pronounced it Pak-a-stan, with the i pronounced as an a. I don't know if we pronounced it correctly but no one ever corrected us if we were wrong.

Isn't it about time you publish one of these books we keep

Mar 1, 2021, 11:30 AM

hearing about? You want to be able to get a couple decades worth or royalties before you kick the bucket, you know! :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,964
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic