Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What's up with Duke using campus for Muslims?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

What's up with Duke using campus for Muslims?

Jan 17, 2015, 6:19 AM

Duke announced they will use their campus as a Muslim prayer location.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What's up with Duke using campus for Muslims?

Jan 17, 2015, 6:29 AM

Any religion may practice in America as they see fit . It's kind of a constitutional thing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

not in my house

Jan 17, 2015, 7:11 AM

the constitution does not require that I let muslims practice islam in my house, or Duke's private house either

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: not in my house

Jan 17, 2015, 8:05 AM

no, but it also politely asks you not to discriminate based on religious grounds.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The gubment may not discriminate based on religious grounds.

Jan 17, 2015, 7:19 PM

Private citizens are free to do so as they please.

+1

Jan 18, 2015, 6:22 PM

of course they are, but also are the eyes of those "not the government" that should also mind their own business.

maybe it changes when a religion as a whole is viewed as a threat. tread lightly.

I wonder if the FFRF will protest this?***

Jan 17, 2015, 7:22 AM [ in reply to Re: What's up with Duke using campus for Muslims? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wonder if the FFRF will protest this?***

Jan 17, 2015, 7:27 AM

Not gonna get all religiony , but yeah ...they can ....and it is protected.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Duke's not a taxpayer supported univ.***

Jan 17, 2015, 8:03 AM [ in reply to I wonder if the FFRF will protest this?*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes and no.

Jan 17, 2015, 9:53 AM

Though they are a private school, they and many/most other private schools, get millions in government contracts and grants to the school and students.

The Muslim call to prayer being broadcast from the Chapel of the school was for services that are being held in the basement of the same chapel.

The Chapel was built by Methodists since historically Duke was affiliated wit Methodists and still has a School of Theology.

Folks really need to do more than read headlines.

The same food folks at Duke have prohibited Right to Life demonstrations, etc for awhile now. That's just one example. This most recent deal is another example of political correctness run amok. The alumni gave them a whole lot of grief and threatened to stop giving money and back out on pledges and THAT'S what "stopped" them on broadcasting the Muslim call to prayer on Fridays from the Chapel, over amplified speakers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would you like to hear Muslim chanting over loudspeakers

Jan 17, 2015, 10:14 AM

at Clemson? I don't think Muslim prayers should be blasted over loudspeakers anywhere on a school campus unless of course it is a Muslim school.

Why is it okay to play Muslim prayers over loudspeakers, but not Christian prayers? The same groups of people that want Muslim prayers to be blasted over loudspeakers and the same ones that complain about anything Christian.

BTW, I am neither Christian nor Muslim. I would not want Clemson or Duke to play the lord's prayer over loud speakers either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No

Jan 17, 2015, 11:59 AM

I agree with you.

Remember that Duke kicked Chick-Fil-A off campus because of the rebellious views of the company's founder and CEO. That's how "diverse" Duke is. Duke alumni and Duke supporters knocked this in the head. Economic reality is a bytch sometimes.

This was just stupid, tone deaf, academics who live in a bubble, safe from reality, run amok.

Re: I wonder if the FFRF will protest this?***

Jan 17, 2015, 8:37 AM [ in reply to I wonder if the FFRF will protest this?*** ]

I bet they will, until Duke refuses to back down. Then you will not hear from them again. Just like they have done in the past. They just want to get in the news and when they get some resistance, they go away.

I STAND FOR THE FLAG AND KNEEL FOR THE FALLEN

The students have always been allowed

Jan 17, 2015, 7:00 AM

They just requested to use loud speakers to announce their assembly.

no they want to use the loud speakers for a "call to prayer"

Jan 17, 2015, 7:14 AM

which is a prayer itself that is blasted over loud speakers in muslim countries

Re: no they want to use the loud speakers for a "call to prayer"

Jan 17, 2015, 8:44 AM

Ohhhh. My bad. Missed that. Thx for clarification.

Jan 17, 2015, 7:41 AM

I don't see what the issue is? Is there some reason they shouldn't be allowed to do this?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol....Duke is a private institution and can do as they wish

Jan 17, 2015, 7:55 AM

but that Muslim group had been meeting for a long time in the basement of Duke Chapel.....just the media looking for headlines...if the terrorist attacks in Paris hadn't occurred at the same time, I wonder if we'd even have heard about this issue at Duke

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: lol....Duke is a private institution and can do as they wish

Jan 18, 2015, 4:22 PM

They are or at least were Methodist.
Duke Theology program graduates some of the top ministers in the country.

With some of the views that muslims openly have about Christians I was shocked when they first announced that muslim prayers were to be announced over the loud speakers from Duke Chapel. It was a pc stunt and thankfully reversed.

If a Christian prayer was blasted for all to hear then

Jan 17, 2015, 7:58 AM [ in reply to Re: What's up with Duke using campus for Muslims? ]

I am sure people would be annoyed.

Islam, however is viewed as a minority religion so our politically correct society protects it.

Double Standard

Jan 17, 2015, 8:32 AM

The use of a Christian building to broadcast Muslim call to prayer is not the issue even though it will serve a very small amount of the population. What we should be concerned about is the aggressive assault on the rights of Christians and Christian supporters by groups that continue to try and strip away the core of our beliefs. This school is the same one that has a conflict with Chic-fil-a and cancelled a pro-life rally for women but will allow the call for prayer that clearly is inflammatory to all the believers in that community. It is another example of the liberal assault on colleges around the country and we all stand by and let it continue to happen.

Re: Double Standard

Jan 17, 2015, 8:36 AM

I don't see it that way at all . I see it as a religion ( take your pick ) that wants to convene and hold a worship service . That is all it is to me . I am probably in the minority , but it doesn't affect me negatively or cause me to feel infringed upon in the least.

DB23

Re: Double Standard

Jan 17, 2015, 8:49 AM

I don't disagree with you but the grey area is of concern. Next will be the satanic call to prayer and every other group on campus looking to make everyone know that they are "here". As it is, the broadcast opens Pandora's box and gives every faction that wants to be heard a platform to complain from that feels they should have the same opportunity. Why this one group and why the chapel speakers in the middle of campus?

That's a bit of a stretch

Jan 17, 2015, 9:00 AM

You're insinuating there's some kind of slippery slope between recognizing the traditions of the world's second largest religion and our entire society falling into devil worship.

Duke is a private institution, and, therefore, can handle this situation as they see fit. I highly doubt the next thing on their list is to allow pagan sacrifice and burnt offerings in the middle of campus.

In response to your previous assertion that recent events in Durham are somehow indicative of an assault on the core of Christianity - If you believe that being anti-gay-marriage and pro-life are somehow closer to the core of Christian belief than say... perhaps... charity, loving-kindness, forgiveness, and inclusiveness, you may want to find more constructive uses of your time on Sunday morning.

but Islam is a false religion, a cult instituted by Lucifer to split

Jan 17, 2015, 9:29 AM

people away from the Truth.

See also: Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

all religions are pretty much equal

Jan 17, 2015, 9:40 AM

yes, Muslims have a much stronger belief than most, but all religions think they are right and everybody else is wrong based upon what their religious leaders tell them or on literature that was written by former religious leaders.

Re: That's a bit of a stretch

Jan 18, 2015, 9:16 AM [ in reply to That's a bit of a stretch ]

Not at all. I know many Muslim people that are kind, loving people. What I am saying is that we can't simply ignore the "assault" on Christianity in the name of religion. I know a lot of people who go to church but don't live the example. Duke is a private institution that has no ties to the foundation of the Muslim community as far as we know. The recognition of their right to religion is a far cry form the announcement of their call to prayer. Why the need to announce it all over campus?

You can't deny the stance they took against Chi-fil-a (a Christian based company) and the message it seems to deliver any more that you can the use of the speakers and the message that seems to deliver. I am in no way announcing satan or saying that Duke would either, but where do you draw the line and why this group over all the others? Gay marriage, if you are a believer, is against God's law but we don't hate the sinner and we certainly shouldn't hate Muslim people either. Jesus forgave many but also held many accountable and continues to do that today. Just because the world tells us that we must accept the union of same sex couples doesn't mean that he does.

I simply don't understand why members of the Duke family would choose to make this statement and I don't believe that it represents the entire Duke alumni and faculty. I think it's awesome that the Muslim people are so consistent with their traditions and beliefs. I wish more people were as as committed to prayer and the growth of their church.

When they haul you in front of a sharia court

Jan 17, 2015, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Double Standard ]

You may have a different feeling. Give it another 100 years, it's coming

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/27/world-muslim-population-doubling-report-projects/

This is what they want blasted over the loudspeakers

Jan 17, 2015, 8:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Double Standard ]

from the Christian chapel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAvlimEYEpQ

This is what is done in all muslim counties controlled by sharia law

Jan 17, 2015, 9:16 AM

"And on the 8th day God created a bunch of other religions. Just to f#(k with mankind."

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apparently their alumni big money donors

Jan 17, 2015, 9:42 AM

have stopped this in its tracks.

Re: Apparently their alumni big money donors

Jan 17, 2015, 10:05 AM

GREAT FOR THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ours need to do the same immediately!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2015, 9:48 AM

As previously stated in this thread, Islam is the world's second largest religious group with over 1.5 billion followers. It is also a peaceful religion at its core with the a lot of the same values as Christianity. As long as someone's religious beliefs and practices in no way infringe on others I see nothing wrong with it. I'm not religious at all but I never speak up and ask someone not to hold a group prayer around me because I don't agree with it. This country was founded by those trying to escape religious prosecution. Your freedom to practice Christianity should never be infringed upon just as those who practice Islam, Judaism, Zoastrian, etc should never have there's infringed upon as well. It is equal right . If a privately funded institution wants to cater to its minority religion a bit to show compassion and understanding for it, they should certainly do so and be praised for it. If the tables where turned and it was them catering to Christian groups wanting to hold vigils or daily public prayer then it would be met with a joyous applause. As people who share this planet with those of other faiths we need to be understanding, which also happens to be a Christian core belief.

People would complain if the Lord's Prayer was blasted over

Jan 17, 2015, 10:17 AM

loud speakers. The irony is that the same people that would not want the Lord's Prayer blasted over loud speakers are the same one's that want Muslim prayer blasted from Duke's Chapel.

Jan 17, 2015, 10:01 AM

they came to their senses and did not do that FOOLISH thing

Jan 17, 2015, 10:04 AM

Someone practicing their faith is foolish to you? Or, just others allowing them to do so is foolish?

Jan 17, 2015, 10:28 AM

their "faith" calls for them to KILL ALL CHRISTIANS,their "faith" says that if the kill a Christian and they are killed they go straight to Heaven where they will receive 72 VIRGINS for their PLEASURE!!Their "faith" request them to KILL those that oppose them, their "faith" want them to MUTILATE the bodies of women and young girls(and this is what U want?)their "faith" says it is fine to BEHEAD anyone that does not believe as they do!!this just might be what your "religion" supports but it sure in not what mine supports!!

Jan 17, 2015, 10:56 AM

Can we all just settle on some Pink Floyd and a harmony circle ?

DB23

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic