Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don't Forget Your Shoes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 1,529

Don't Forget Your Shoes

Oct 9, 2017, 3:40 PM

In early September, 1927 I entered the first grade in my old home town in North Florida. Not quite six years old, I was the youngest kid in the class. We walked the 6 - 7 blocks to school each morning. There was no school cafeteria so we had to walk home for lunch. The first couple of years I walked to school with my older brother and sister.

When I entered the third grade in 1929. I was old enough to walk to school alone or with some friends. This made me feel like I was finally growing up. Going barefoot was my favorite choice but my Mother thought otherwise, so every morning I left for school wearing those dreaded shoes and socks. About one block from our home was the Sealey home. Around their yard was a well maintained camphor hedge, offering a wonderful opportunity as a place for my shoes. Every morning I took off my shoes and socks and found an excellent place to leave them. Sometimes at noon and after school, I would forget to retrieve my shoes so had to scamper back to the hedge to reclaim them.

Mrs. Sealey often sat in a rocking chair on her front porch and, knowing I had hid my shoes in her camphor hedge, often reminded me not to forget my shoes. One day while at school, there was a hard rain. On my way home after school I stopped to retrieve my shoes but they were no where in sight. I searched that hedge from one end to the other but still no shoes. How was I going to tell my Mother I had lost my shoes when they were supposed to be on my feet.

But luck was with me. Mrs. Sealey had seen me searching for my shoes and called to me. As I approached her, there were my shoes in her hands. She said when it started to rain she went out and got my shoes so they would not get wet. That was the kind of people we had in my old home town.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 0
| visibility 1,529
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic