Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clearly they won’t have 17 GOP votes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 871

Clearly they won’t have 17 GOP votes

Jan 26, 2021, 3:45 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dems are swiftly moving to get the Senate vote

Jan 26, 2021, 4:07 PM

Moved to Philly, Detroit, or Atlanta

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dems are swiftly moving to get the Senate vote

Jan 26, 2021, 5:58 PM

That’s good! Made me laugh. I’m guessing the breakdown of the 100 votes would be around 80 to impeach, 40 no.

I agree, they would be better served in dropping...

Jan 26, 2021, 4:16 PM

the impeachment.

If they want to actually do something that would pass and have teeth, they would use the 14th - clause 3. It's my understanding that that would only require a resolution from the Senate, i.e. a simple majority. Not sure if a resolution vote can be filibustered.

Politically speaking it would be best not to give Trump the option of playing the victim again and let it go.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doesn't he have to be convicted first?

Jan 26, 2021, 4:23 PM

My understanding is that they can't just go straight to the 14th.

I'm not a fan of impeachment, but there has to be some accountability for lying about a fraudulent election and attempting to overturn it. Of course that can't happen because too many in his party were complicit in it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

14th and Impeachment are separate things...

Jan 26, 2021, 4:53 PM

My understanding is that 14th takes a resolution from both houses - not sure if it's called a joint resolution - I get the sense from what I've read that they are 2 separate resolutions.

Those get transmitted to the court and then a federal judges serves something that barres the defendant/target from ever being able to hold any level of government office.

I believe I read that the process in the courts could take 3-5 months, assuming appeals up to the Supreme Court.

Re: Doesn't he have to be convicted first?

Jan 26, 2021, 5:37 PM [ in reply to Doesn't he have to be convicted first? ]

You mean accountability for all the illegitimate claims from Trump’s first win.? It’s well documented.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would that not still allow Trump to play the victim?

Jan 26, 2021, 4:50 PM [ in reply to I agree, they would be better served in dropping... ]

Perhaps even more so since it would only take a simple majority?

From my reading on the issue (which is, admittedly, cursory) evoking the 14th section 3 is procedurally muddy which is why I think they decided to go with impeachment (which, itself is muddy on use after a President has left office).

And I think they still can evoke section 3 of the 14th amendment if/when the Senate doesn't convict if they choose to go that route. And I think they'll have to if they want to keep Trump from running again (which is a decision I agree with) since most Republicans are not going to vote against him even if he incited an insurrection.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-impeachment-explainer/impeachment-or-the-14th-amendment-can-trump-be-barred-from-future-office-idUSKBN29I356

https://www.lawfareblog.com/practical-path-condemn-and-disqualify-donald-trump

Maybe, but it wouldn't require a trial in the Senate...

Jan 26, 2021, 4:56 PM

it would just be a simple vote. Then it's out of Congress and into the court and spread over time.

The lack of trial gives Trump something to complain about

Jan 26, 2021, 5:15 PM

I think the impeachment gives the cleanest/shortest pathway to punishing Trump but I also think Section 3 is a viable alternative and/or follow-up. We'll see what happens I guess.

I do wish the Republicans had led this effort to impeach because it would have gone a long way in unifying the country and at the same time saved their party.

Re: The lack of trial gives Trump something to complain about

Jan 26, 2021, 5:23 PM

Still comes down to what Mitch decides to do. He hasn't shown us his hand yet; he's just keeping his powder dry thus far. The only ones who have really gone off the reservation are the ones we already knew were gone.

If Mitch decides it's time for Trump's head to roll, it's going to roll.

I don't think we yet know what he's decided yet. He can either make a hard break with Trump now or Trump is going to linger over the party until he shoves off to that great big Russian-backed golf course in the sky and these rather pitiful displays of loyalty to Dear Leader like the ones we just saw from the Arizona GOP and Sarah Huckleberry Sanders are going to become the norm...and the GOP is going to elect far-right idiots in primaries and die ugly in general elections except in deep-red states.

As a long-term strategy, the DNC will love it. They'll hope Trump lives another 20 years.

Pelosi is making sure the country connects Trump to the GOP

Jan 26, 2021, 5:50 PM

for years to come and punishes them in coming elections. They will have had their chance to distance themselves from the orange vulgarian, and they will have refused. Twice.

Donald Trump. The gift that keeps on giving. Long live the king.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think even he's afraid of Trump's base

Jan 26, 2021, 5:55 PM [ in reply to Re: The lack of trial gives Trump something to complain about ]

and how much it controls the Republican Party. I get the sense he knows what's best for the country is for the Republicans to side with the dems in convicting Trump and making sure he doesn't run again, but he knows that will split the party and threaten his power and those are of much more concern to him. I almost wonder if that wasn't why Pelosi and Schumer went ahead with impeachment over Section 3 because it forces the ball into McConnell's court.

Re: Maybe, but it wouldn't require a trial in the Senate...

Jan 26, 2021, 5:18 PM [ in reply to Maybe, but it wouldn't require a trial in the Senate... ]

Y'all motivated me to look this up.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/practical-path-condemn-and-disqualify-donald-trump

Re: Clearly they won’t have 17 GOP votes

Jan 26, 2021, 5:30 PM

Does it really matter? Everyone knows that Trump is a traitor. It was a novelty anyway.

The "constitutional" argument is simply a cover

Jan 26, 2021, 5:33 PM

for GOP senators who don't want to go on record of judging Trump on the actual high crime of inciting an insurrection itself, which is all that's in the article. This is why we have a Supreme Court, the third branch of government. The Senate's obligation is to address only the article itself - did he or didn't he. If convicted, Trump can appeal to the courts for that relief on a constitutional basis, the court that this very same Senate has installed for that very purpose.

The GOP is being the same group of pussie cats minus cat living in fear of Trump and his band of Idiocrats that they've shown these past four years.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The "constitutional" argument is simply a cover

Jan 26, 2021, 5:41 PM

I agree. Again, though, if they don't stick a fork in him to ensure he's done, he's going to own them forever...which would be fitting. I've always had the sense he's not done with all that incredible winning he's going to be doing just yet, and he has still more gifts to bestow upon the GOP after already losing them the House, Senate, AND Presidency just four short years after they had all three, and oh, yeah, completely wrecking the GOP's brand name with the Millennials and below. (Something like 61% of Gen Z has a "strongly negative" view of the Republican Party, which would make an RNC pollster peering into a crystal ball scream in alarm.)

If they wanna keep on with that...the Dems are gonna be like: well as Billy Beane said in Moneyball, when your enemy's making mistakes, don't interrupt him.

Re: Clearly they won’t have 17 GOP votes

Jan 26, 2021, 5:44 PM

You guys sure are scared of someone that you called incompetent for four years.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 871
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic