Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"I'm watching you, white boy"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 69
| visibility 973

"I'm watching you, white boy"

Feb 7, 2019, 3:37 PM

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2019/02/07/davis-marks-evil-is-banal/

Everyone knows a white boy with shiny brown hair and a saccharine smile that conceals his great ambitions. He could be in Grand Strategy or the Yale Political Union. Maybe he’s the editor-in-chief of the News. He takes his classes. He networks. And, when it comes time for graduation, he wins all the awards.

One day, I’ll turn on the television — or, who knows, maybe televisions will be obsolete by this point — and I’ll see him sitting down for his Senate confirmation hearing. Yes, he’ll be a bit older, with tiny wrinkles sprouting at the corners of his eyes and a couple of gray hairs jutting out of the top of his widow’s peak. But that smile, that characteristic saccharine smile, will remain the same.

When I’m watching the white boy — who is now a white man by this point — on CNN, I’ll remember a racist remark that he said, an unintentional utterance that he made when he had one drink too many at a frat party during sophomore year. I’ll recall a message that he accidentally left open on a computer when he forgot to log out of iMessage, where he likened a woman’s body to a particularly large animal. I’ll kick myself for forgetting to screenshot the evidence.

And, when I’m watching him smile that smile, I’ll think that I could have stopped it...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks Isis.***

Feb 7, 2019, 3:45 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks Isis.***

Feb 7, 2019, 9:34 PM

Why do you and 3Time only show up when race is involved. It’s like you both lurk and then strike when race is the issue. Are you just that oppressed? Do you feel that strongly that the cops and the system are against you?

You both seem desperate for an argument.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kindly sir...Keep my name outcha

Feb 7, 2019, 9:39 PM

Mouth. You dont know anything about me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Re: Kindly sir...Keep my name outcha

Feb 7, 2019, 9:41 PM

Right on time. I didn’t even have to @ you.

Trolling lurker. Ready to always fight on race.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kindly sir...Keep my name outcha

Feb 7, 2019, 9:42 PM

Also, thanks for proving my point. Next soccerkrzy will show up and start threatening me.

There is something wrong with tou

Feb 7, 2019, 9:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Kindly sir...Keep my name outcha ]

I rarely post anymore. This is true. And i do respond to issues one race...and gender...and at times sexual orientation because no ###### else o this board is a member of those groups like i am. I figured i could offer up an alternative point of view. If you consider this race baiting, so be it.

But you will also note that also post on lounge, the main board as well. I just have a life and can't spend every free moment on here like you apparently do.

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Re: There is something wrong with tou

Feb 7, 2019, 9:50 PM

So confused and misunderstood. I get it. Have a nice evening.

Do you not want to hear different perspectives?

Feb 8, 2019, 11:35 AM

At least 3time is respectful and sober, unlike you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you.......

Feb 8, 2019, 9:10 AM [ in reply to There is something wrong with tou ]

do you have pictures of your category?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Trust me A she is not even close to .............

Feb 8, 2019, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Thanks Isis.*** ]

being a racist.

tigermanac®

3timeTiger

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have to wonder, liberals with white children...

Feb 7, 2019, 4:29 PM

Particularly white male children....Is any of this anti-white rhetoric starting to bother/worry you? Typically when one particular demographic is scapegoated for everyone else's problems, things don't go so well for that group.

Seems like a good way to make those White Supremacists/Nationalists an actual threat, too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I ever actually feel scapegoated

Feb 7, 2019, 4:33 PM

I'll get back to you. I'm in no way afraid of my whiteness ever being a handicap, but maybe someday you'll get to say you told me so. Keep on paranoia-ing on, brother, the struggle is, well, real isn't the right word.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure you're not

Feb 7, 2019, 4:37 PM

Because it'll more likely be your kids getting rekt by this stuff.

Nothing to see here though, I know. Just keep pretending these people don't hate you for being white.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Okay***

Feb 7, 2019, 4:46 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't find this piece a little nuts?

Feb 7, 2019, 4:38 PM [ in reply to If I ever actually feel scapegoated ]

She's literally surveilling white people, in particular, just in case they ever become prominent people so she can try to diminish their careers with something that offended her from college. This does not mean that being white is some kind of handicap (nice rhetorical ploy, there), but that this particular behavior is ridiculous. You ought to at least be able to acknowledge that without trying to make some argument about aggregate advantage.

This is also somebody who writes a regular column for the Yale student newspaper, which makes it likely she's going to end up as somebody with some degree of influence.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

I wrote some weird #### in college too man***

Feb 7, 2019, 4:46 PM

She seems to be writing from frustration

Feb 7, 2019, 5:37 PM [ in reply to You don't find this piece a little nuts? ]

I don't like the emotional bluster of the article and think in the long run it's not a healthy outlook, but she seems to be talking about a certain type of "white boy" (I hate that terminology) that gets advancement in life even though they are a racist/sexist/awful person simply because they are a well-educated white man (in her opinion). She points to Kavanaugh as the typical type she's speaking about.

She seems to mostly be talking about putting action to belief and not letting awful people continue to gain places of powerful office by speaking up when they see these injustices. Now, I would disagree about limiting that focus to "white boys" but I do think we should do a better job at picking the people we place in power.

Perhaps, but it seems like we're fast approaching an

Feb 7, 2019, 5:59 PM

unattainable standard of expecting perfection throughout one's life as a prerequisite to public service.

Now the governor klan pic....clearly over the line, but the Atty General of VA dressing up as a rapper in college for a Halloween party with no other evidence of racism in his past? Kavanaugh getting flak for drinking a lot of beer in college? C'mon, those are insane as reasons to write of any and everything else someone has done in their lifetime.

Like they say----Making Good decisions comes from having good judgement. Having good judgement comes from making bad decisions. We're going to have a nations of drugged up stressed out neurotics pretty soon if all our kids are walking around thinking they don't get a second chance for anything, ever.

I knew a few people in college who probably emerged from school without a single skeleton in their closet--they're generally not the people I want governing me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I pretty much agree with all that.

Feb 7, 2019, 6:17 PM

Kavanaugh's issues were more than just his drinking though...

To play devil's advocate:

It's interesting about the examples of the blackface with the Gov and Atty General as I'm not sure either have any other evidence of racism in their recent history (assuming they don't for argument sake) but because we can see one of the pictures (and the context with the KKK member) it seems to step over the line, but should it? You point to a line that the Gov crossed (and I'd agree) but should he not get the benefit of the doubt if there's nothing else in his recent 30 year history to point to him being racist? Or at least a 2nd chance?

there’s a huge difference, IMHO.

Feb 7, 2019, 7:57 PM

It’s possible to dress up like a rapper in blackface as a goof and be ignorant that you are slighting others, and unaware of the racist connotations. In other words, bad judgement stemmimg from ignorance, and absent any malice. If someone has a clean history otherwise I don’t see why they wouldn’t get the benefit of the doubt and another chance.

When you appear in a picture in blackface with someone dressed as a klan member, you don’t get that benefit of the doubt. Regardless of which one in the picture you were, you were purposely injecting hatefulness and racism into the occasion, and you clearly knew it and were ok with it. You may be forgiven later in your personal life by others, which is the essence of grace, but I doubt you win an election with that on your record or maintain the trust and confidence of your constituents if it comes out while you’re in office.

Just my .02....sadly, I don’t make the rules....they don’t even call me for my opinion anymore.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, but that's a very charitable interpretation

Feb 8, 2019, 11:26 AM [ in reply to She seems to be writing from frustration ]

It looks to me like she's making partisan, racist assumptions that would prejudice the way she looks for "injustices." I also just generally don't agree with treating something somebody interpreted as mean in college as disqualifying 20-30 years down the line.

The term "white privilege", as generic term describing

Feb 7, 2019, 4:42 PM [ in reply to If I ever actually feel scapegoated ]

anyone who passes for white having some advantage on everyone else is a racist term that has gone mainstream, that many seem to believe for whatever reason.

I can think off two jobs in my life I didn't get because I was white that I was blatantly told so in one, and it was certainly hinted at on the other.

I have been told (by HR) that when hiring if I encountered to two equally qualified applicants to choose the minority. Isn't that racist, and therefore wrong?

White privilege? Personally, I haven't been given that benefit of the doubt.

In the context of a society where

Feb 7, 2019, 4:50 PM

for many years, an extremely qualified black person would be passed over for a marginally qualified white person, I really don't have a problem with a business showing a preference for a black candidate.

If it was a company that was already predominantly black then I would be more inclined to be upset maybe. But most places I have worked and most places I have been for work were not predominantly black or even proportionately black as far as I could tell.

Is that even what we're talking about here?

Feb 7, 2019, 4:55 PM

The piece is about putting "shiny-brown haired white boys" under increased scrutiny so that people can try to wreck their careers in case they become prominent and the scrutinizers disagree with them. What we'd think of as extremely creepy, vindictive behavior normally is supposed to be OK because it's a "white boy" with non-progressive views.

I don't know how that behavior is supposed to make life better for minorities, although it might fill some sort of psychic need for revenge at perceived disadvantages.

I was responding to Lakebum's question

Feb 7, 2019, 4:56 PM

I'm really not even talking about the piece.

Wasn't this Lakebum's question?

Feb 7, 2019, 5:01 PM

"Is any of this anti-white rhetoric starting to bother/worry you?"

Your answer seems to be that no, it doesn't bother you that people would act this way because of things other people may have done in the past (even when those things apparently so disadvantaged a person that they've got a regular column in the Yale newspaper).

No, its not I diverted because the term "white privilege"

Feb 7, 2019, 4:56 PM [ in reply to Is that even what we're talking about here? ]

really gets under my skin.

It's not my favorite either***

Feb 7, 2019, 5:04 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You certainly seem to be using it today***

Feb 7, 2019, 5:05 PM

I'm not saying it's a false concept. I just don't care for some of the

Feb 7, 2019, 5:06 PM

buzzwords. Might just be cuz I'm getting older.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not white privilege, so much as it was

Feb 7, 2019, 5:23 PM [ in reply to The term "white privilege", as generic term describing ]

you hitting the diversity ceiling in that particular career.

Re: I have to wonder, liberals with white children...

Feb 7, 2019, 4:38 PM [ in reply to I have to wonder, liberals with white children... ]

No. Being white and male is like winning the lottery.

How does that work when it's all people at Yale?

Feb 7, 2019, 4:40 PM

Do you not think the dynamics become a little different depending on where you are?

Thankfully we live in a vacuum where things never change

Feb 7, 2019, 4:41 PM [ in reply to Re: I have to wonder, liberals with white children... ]

I've always been hesitant to worry too much about it, but the rhetoric is becoming impossible to ignore, and it's becoming mainstream.

I'm not saying white guys are going to be piled up in mass graves in the next decade, but if I had a young kid, the increasing acceptance of this kind of rhetoric would be worrisome.

Really?

Feb 7, 2019, 4:44 PM [ in reply to Re: I have to wonder, liberals with white children... ]

Where's my check?

I'd like to count those decimal places that being white has provided me as I work day 12 straight tomorrow (or tonight, at 10 pm while I work again, like lastnight and the night before).

Speaking only for myself...

Feb 7, 2019, 6:18 PM [ in reply to I have to wonder, liberals with white children... ]

I have never experienced nor heard with my ears any "anti-white" rhetoric.

Why would you only ask liberals the question?

Because it's their side that's supporting the rhetoric***

Feb 8, 2019, 11:27 AM

As a pretty pasty white male...

Feb 8, 2019, 9:06 AM [ in reply to I have to wonder, liberals with white children... ]

I don't find there to be any "anti-white" rhetoric attacking me. I feel just fine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Not sure if this is willful ignorance...

Feb 8, 2019, 11:29 AM

and you may simply not care, which is a good attitude to have (most of the time). But if you pay attention to SJW rhetoric at all, it's often anti-white, and not just in an intellectual way. If you live in places where there are a lot of people who look differently than you, you're likely to hear some of those thing repeated. If you interact with people and institutions where this ideology holds sway, it's more likely to affect you.

I thought you had a journalistic background, so I would be surprised if you haven't come into contact with this kind of stuff.

Re: Not sure if this is willful ignorance...

Feb 8, 2019, 12:29 PM

Throughout my journalistic experience, the cases of whites targeting minorities were far more prevalent than the other way around. That's working in the Upstate, Charleston, and the DC/Maryland area. But perhaps it can be different elsewhere. I just don't see it, and I've never felt any anti-white sentiment. It appears worse the other way around to me.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

I'm not comparing prevalence

Feb 8, 2019, 1:58 PM

This isn't about relative prevalence, but right and wrong in specific instances. Just about everybody knows that white racism is wrong, but in many cases, anti-white racism is lauded.

For some reason, whenever stuff like this is brought up, people want to focus on how much prejudice certain groups have received, as if it's a zero sum game where a certain amount of prejudice is allowed if you've faced a certain amount of prejudice.

Maybe it'd be good for white folks to find out what it's like***

Feb 7, 2019, 4:45 PM

I know this is hard for some of y'all to believe....

Feb 7, 2019, 4:50 PM

But not all white people grew up in the picturesque Suburban neighborhood with two overly friendly parents and a private school education.

I certainly didn't***

Feb 7, 2019, 4:51 PM

Even if they did, it doesn't justify what she wrote

Feb 7, 2019, 4:51 PM [ in reply to I know this is hard for some of y'all to believe.... ]

Especially given that she's a Yale student who likely had many advantages herself, and will be among the most privileged people in the world after graduation.

Maybe

Feb 7, 2019, 4:52 PM [ in reply to I know this is hard for some of y'all to believe.... ]

but the ones that grew up that way sure are vocal about unfair life is getting to be for white folks.

Interestingly enough, I find it to be quite the opposite

Feb 7, 2019, 4:56 PM

The guilt is strong, which explains the unwillingness to acknowledge the hateful rhetoric being aimed at them.

You're a white lawyer, right? You realize this piece was basically directed right at you?

Oh no! I hope it doesn't affect me!***

Feb 7, 2019, 4:57 PM

I'm sure it won't...Unless you're really concerned about

Feb 7, 2019, 5:00 PM

all that "being on the right side of history" stuff.

I certainly hope it won't

Feb 7, 2019, 5:05 PM

Fordprefect seems like a decent guy, but that probably wouldn't bother someone like the girl who wrote the piece I linked if she felt the need to mess with him.

I mentioned on here one time that a grad school classmate of mine made a comment about me being a "casual racist" because I disagreed with her about something on Facebook once. I'd never made any comments to her to that effect, and we'd been good friends before that. I was even invited to her wedding. It made me wonder what people like her would do if I were ever in a position where she could hurt my career.

I always thought Ford was black.

Feb 7, 2019, 4:57 PM [ in reply to Interestingly enough, I find it to be quite the opposite ]

I'm not sure why.

He was in the movie***

Feb 7, 2019, 5:37 PM

no, retarded***

Feb 7, 2019, 9:09 PM [ in reply to I always thought Ford was black. ]

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

What difference does how they grew up make?

Feb 7, 2019, 4:57 PM [ in reply to Maybe ]

Do you think singling out a particular race and sex for special scrutiny in order to ruin their careers later on is an OK thing to do? Is it OK because some black people were treated unfairly in the past?

He's done a pretty fair job of trolling the last few days.

Feb 7, 2019, 4:59 PM

I'd suspect his contrary opinion to pretty much everything is just for that.

I think the answer to that is overwhelmingly "Yes"

Feb 7, 2019, 4:59 PM [ in reply to What difference does how they grew up make? ]

And in 20 years everyone will still be all "Why cain't we all get along herp derp?!".

I wonder if they realize the reaction they're producing***

Feb 7, 2019, 5:04 PM

Who's producing?***

Feb 8, 2019, 2:01 PM

The SJW ideologists***

Feb 8, 2019, 2:04 PM

I'm more saying I don't care enough

Feb 8, 2019, 1:59 PM [ in reply to What difference does how they grew up make? ]

to argue about the content of her writing. I don't see this becoming a movement in a society where most people forget what they are outraged about every twenty minutes and have to move on to a new thing because outrage is what they like to feel.

Seems it already is

Feb 8, 2019, 2:03 PM

And the goldfish mentality is part of the problem, because it pushes people not to take how they treat other people very seriously.

find out what is like?

Feb 7, 2019, 4:55 PM [ in reply to Maybe it'd be good for white folks to find out what it's like*** ]

working my ### off no apparent increase in pay, stature, or upward mobility? Being passed over for promotions due to the social structure in place at where I work?

Being discriminated against due to my physical stature, outward appearance, or age, with no consequence given to my credentials, education or experience?

Please..I'd like to know more about this, so I compare to how much more #### I'm going to have to swallow in my career.

I bet the cops are friendly when they pull you over at least***

Feb 7, 2019, 5:12 PM

I don't get pulled over. At least I haven't in a while.

Feb 7, 2019, 5:19 PM

They don't know if I'm black or white, due to my tinted windows.

I don't drive at night, much if at all. When I go out at night normally I'll Uber/Lyft.

And since I'm old, I drive like an old man, driving a pickup truck, during the day. I'm not really a target.

Both my comments were intended to be tongue in cheek

Feb 7, 2019, 5:41 PM

I always thought tinted windows were a cop magnet, though.

“Some Girls” by the Rolling Stones has some timeless truths

Feb 7, 2019, 8:44 PM

in the lyrics.

yeah, Black girls

Feb 8, 2019, 9:42 AM

just wanna get fucked all night

Mick changed this line up last time I saw them at Bobby Dodd stadium

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Anyone who doesn't recognize this as extremely racist

Feb 8, 2019, 3:18 PM

and hurtful to our society is a complete fool. Full stop.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "I'm watching you, white boy"

Feb 9, 2019, 12:52 PM

Those are all good points, and we've become the outrage society. Look at Liam Neeson. He admitted on TV that 30 years ago a friend of his was raped by a black guy. He was outraged and came to hope that he could find some black guys to take it out on. He admitted it was wrong, stupid and had gotten help from a priest to overcome is illogical displacement of natural rage onto a whole group of people. He apologized for it.

The next day, they started coming out of the woodwork to condemn what he said in spite of his apologizing for it, seeking help for it and holding it up as an example of how people shouldn't behave.

But roast him they still did.

Replies: 69
| visibility 973
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic