Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on Trevor & the team's "activism"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Thoughts on Trevor & the team's "activism"

Sep 9, 2020, 9:45 AM

* Saying "black lives matter" is not the same as supporting "Black Lives Matter." One can support the concept without supporting the organization.

* Trevor's experience is not the same as any of ours. He's spent the bulk of his life on a team where there have likely always been more black kids than white kids. When these events have happened - whether it's Trayvon Martin, George Floyd, or whomever - Trevor has had a front row seat to how these things have impacted his black teammates. His experience has been significantly influenced by their experiences, which is likely very different from the experiences of most of us. He's not supporting the organization "Black Lives Matter" or any other organization. He's supporting his teammates - his friends.

* Like it or not, the team IS planning on making some sort of statement Saturday night. Many may think it's unnecessary or too much, and some may think it's not enough. But to these kids who are all - while they're on the team, anyway - in a position of influence and privilege, they're simply trying to use their platform to affect change and make a difference. I can argue with their reasoning, their logic, or how they choose to express themselves, but I can't argue with them wanting and trying to make a positive difference in their community. While some others of their age are out protesting, looting, rioting, toppling statues, skipping work and school, etc, these kids are trying to better themselves, better their team, and - here's a novel thought - better their community.

* I've never been in fear of anything when the blue lights light up behind me. I've probably gotten as many warnings as I have tickets (which thankfully have been few!). I've not grown up seeing my neighbors arrested, houses searched, and crime scene investigators on site. I can't relate to what that's like and how that can frame someone's perspective on the world. Trevor may not be able to do that first-hand either, but he definitely can and does through the eyes of his teammates.

* I trust our coach to trust his players. Simple as that. They are well led, well taught, and very well influenced. I may not agree with all of it or any of it, and it really doesn't matter if I do or not. I trust our coach to trust his players, and I'm proud of how they're conducting themselves and verbalizing their concerns and hopes. When so many kids their age are pursuing the next beer binge, the next party, or their desired six-figure salary, these kids are trying to make a difference. It's not going to be perfect, but they're giving it a shot. I can't and won't fault them for that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ Very well said & I’m with you on this call o2nclemson about TL16 & Team.

Sep 9, 2020, 9:56 AM

Yes, i am very upset about the slick Marxist Anti-American Revolutionary Organization that basically took a great meaning & super wording and put a Logo (BLM) on it for their political purposes and many don’t know or understand what they’re up to in wanting to radically & non-peacefully destroy ALL LIVES as well as this wonderful Republic called AMERICA.

So..GO TiGERS, beat Wake!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you even know what any of that means?

Sep 9, 2020, 10:16 AM

Good lord, Trumpkins have lost their minds.

You, especially.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not only does he not know what that means, he also

Sep 9, 2020, 10:22 AM

doesn't even know that Trevor Lawrence has not one single time stated support for BLM the organization, at least not that I've seen.

Another thing he doesn't know is that not one single player has indicated they will be supporting the BLM organization on Saturday.

On top of all of this, he likely doesn't even know what day it is. Ask him what "Marxism" is. Ask that of all of the dummies spewing that rhetoric. NONE OF THEM can answer.

Re: Not only does he not know what that means, he also

Sep 9, 2020, 10:52 AM

You're awfully sure of yourself, aren't you?

Re: Not only does he not know what that means, he also

Sep 9, 2020, 2:31 PM

twill,

Prove him wrong.

Re: Thoughts on Trevor & the team's "activism"

Sep 9, 2020, 10:06 AM

Great post which sums up many of my own thoughts much better than I could've said. I think most people who post on here are intelligent, but somehow many on here act as if supporting the overall idea of a movement means that you're supporting 100% of everything that every person who is behind that movement stands for.

Even if you can't agree that blacks are targeted more by police or oppressed or whatever, I'd still say that most people in support of the movement want good things, and also aren't part of the actual organization in the first place.

I'm going to guess that many on here are supporters of the Confederate flag. I think we can all agree that racist organizations such as the kkk use that flag. Are you supporting the kkk whenever you argue to keep a Confederate monument, or wear something with the Confederate flag on it? Or can the flag mean something different to you than it does to the kkk?

Sep 9, 2020, 10:17 AM

Separate BLM (the movement) from BLM (the organization). That should satisfy 99% of the people who disagree with BLM. It would satisfy me.
The example using kkk is not a valid one. There is no separate KKK (the movement) from KKK (the organization). I can't imagine someone supporting the KKK movement, but not the organization. That would be rather contorted logic, wouldn't it?

Sep 9, 2020, 10:12 AM

Thank you for your post. These young men are not being political or trying ram their opinions down people’s throats. They just want everyone to come together and recognize that we can all do better. In our current tribalistic society, we talk at each other instead of just taking the time to listen. We’re all trying to be right.
I was at the demonstration back in June, just to hear what the players had to say. They were humble, genuine, and well spoken. I was proud to be a Tiger and we should all be proud of them, on and off the field.

Sep 9, 2020, 10:14 AM

Well written Sir - thoughtful - making an effort to understand both points of view and trusting our coaches and players.

There's definitely something a little ironic about

Sep 9, 2020, 10:14 AM

a group of kids thinking they have to say "black lives matter" when each of those kids is receiving a free education, free housing, all the food they can eat, specialty clothing, and free little trinkets just to play a game...and most of them are black.

Re: There's definitely something a little ironic about

Sep 9, 2020, 10:19 AM

I think it was Rencher who said Saturday on GameDay that it's true, while they're on a college football team, they have little to worry about. He (or whomever it was, maybe a Texas player) said that as long as he has his team colors on when he goes out, he has no real worry of being pulled over or stereotyped or whatever. He said that his concern was how things will happen once he's out of college (and we all know that very few go on to the NFL and fewer still make it there). He also said that his concern was for those coming behind him who were still in school, and those who couldn't get to college on scholarship. Yes, they are, for the time-being, privileged, but for most, that won't last. They're not speaking out for themselves. They're speaking out for all of their peers who aren't as fortunate as they are.

I support equality for all. I like end racism/equality for all slogan vs BLM

Mainly because of what the BLM organization believes in and their hiding behind the slogan to fund their Marxist agenda. I can’t support anything anti-American and anti-police. Please stay away from associating with that organization.

Also, I’m for actions not just optics. That’s what causes change not something painted on a field or a patch on a jersey or helmet that fades away. The action items that were put out Sunday are something I can get behind.

I support equality for all. I like end racism/equality for all slogan vs BLM

Mainly because of what the BLM organization believes in and their hiding behind the slogan to fund their Marxist agenda. I can’t support anything anti-American and anti-police. Please stay away from associating with that organization.

Also, I’m for actions not just optics. That’s what causes change not something painted on a field or a patch on a jersey or helmet that fades away. The action items that were put out Sunday are something I can get behind.

According to Homeland Security, staffed mostly by GOP,

Sep 9, 2020, 11:14 AM

have found that White Supremacists groups are causing most violence and even now sadly international. Boogaloo, Proud Boys, and possibly Patriot Prayer groups are domestic terrorists.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: According to Homeland Security, staffed mostly by GOP,

Sep 9, 2020, 11:20 AM

Got a link or anything to support that?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-minneapolis-police-protests-extremist/us-assessment-finds-opportunists-drive-protest-violence-not-extremists-idUSKBN23A1KU

Sep 9, 2020, 12:42 PM

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/04/white-supremacists-terror-threat-dhs-409236

google is your friend.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2020, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Re: According to Homeland Security, staffed mostly by GOP, ]

o2bn.

Here you go:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/white-supremacy-is-most-persistent-and-lethal-terror-threat-in-the-us-according-to-dhs-report-draft/ar-BB18RDVb?li=BBnbcA1

LOL

Sep 9, 2020, 12:56 PM [ in reply to According to Homeland Security, staffed mostly by GOP, ]

If you think the Dept of Homeland Security is “staffed mostly by GOP” you have no clue. Yes the political appointees are GOP (as are most all of them throughout the federal government) but I certainly wouldn’t say that was the case with the staff. There is a reason why DC, Maryland, and Northern VA are a bastion of democratic voters - because lots and lots of government workers vote that way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic