Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do we want DRad to become new ACC commish?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Do we want DRad to become new ACC commish?

Aug 14, 2020, 11:11 AM

Or do we want him to stay as our AD?
Which would we benefit from more?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do we want DRad to become new ACC commish?

Aug 14, 2020, 11:28 AM

I want DRad to stay. He has been good for the university. I believe the next ACC commissioner will be more from a business background rather than a sports background.

A non-tobacco road commish would be nice***

Aug 14, 2020, 11:51 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Flame away, but he killed GT athletics and has rode Dabo's coattails here

Aug 14, 2020, 11:51 AM

Very overrated imo.

Completely agree*******

Aug 14, 2020, 12:03 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To be fair, he has a nice head of hair.***

Aug 14, 2020, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Flame away, but he killed GT athletics and has rode Dabo's coattails here ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Flame away, but he killed GT athletics and has rode Dabo's coattails here

Aug 14, 2020, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Flame away, but he killed GT athletics and has rode Dabo's coattails here ]

His personnel moves have been mediocre at best.

He inherited Pennley, both soccer coaches, and Dabo - so all he had to do was maintain.

His best hire was letting Dabo bring in Thad Turnipseed and any coaches that he wants.

He gave Brownell extensions that didn’t allow us to make a move financially and was ill prepared to be in the market after the Oakland NIT debacle. He let Jack Leggett fundraise an entire building, but made him a lame duck coach his final year never allowing Jack to use his new building. Monte - the jury is out since he needs to win a regional ASAP. The first women’s golf coach was a disaster. The married couple he hired for volleyball after pushing Hoover out was a disaster. The women’s basketball moves before Butler were a disaster. I cannot speak to tennis at all.

Softball appears to be in a good spot, but they’ve played half a season.

Re: Flame away, but he killed GT athletics and has rode Dabo's coattails here

Aug 14, 2020, 2:35 PM

Or maybe he chose to not be "in the market after the Oakland NIT debacle" because, I don't know, he thought we'd be a good team the next year. I'd say it worked out pretty well.

Aug 14, 2020, 11:54 AM

This guy might be good for either role and he hired Jeff Scott I guess.

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/2018/06/30/in-michael-kelly-usf-hired-one-smooth-operator/

Aug 14, 2020, 12:30 PM

I feel like he would go out of his way to avoid any appearance of Clemson bias...so it would hurt us instead of helping. It would be Swoffie in overdrive.

Message was edited by: The Mole®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2020, 12:42 PM

I don't know about that but who knows? I think DRad is a pretty sharp guy and would make a great ACC commissioner.

The commissioner has far less power than people think.

Aug 14, 2020, 12:47 PM

I know the perception around here is that the ACC hates Clemson and favors UNC, but a lot of that is based on rumors about our football probation in the 80s. For years, Swofford has been criticized for somehow making Clemson's probation worse, but multiple people who were involved then said that Swofford had nothing to do with our penalty from the conference.

I like DRad and think he's done a very good job as our AD. I would like for him to stay at Clemson, because I believe it will benefit us more than if he becomes AD. But if he is ACC Commissioner, it would be nice to know that we have a Clemson guy in the position who understands the conference well (due to his experience at Clemson and GT).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: The commissioner has far less power than people think.

Aug 14, 2020, 12:56 PM

I am guessing you are not very old with the remark about Swofford.

I'm happy to consider valid information about Swofford

Aug 14, 2020, 2:07 PM

showing that he hates Clemson and/or has made decisions that hurt Clemson in the past. Thus far, the negatives I've read have been based on rumors and he-said, she-said from decades ago, rather than any hard evidence. In fact, people directly involved in our probation in the 80s have said that Swofford DIDN'T have anything to do with the extra year.

Again, please share any legitimate info you have.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I'm happy to consider valid information about Swofford

Aug 14, 2020, 2:45 PM

Well tell me this who pushed for the extra year of probation? Danny Ford? If I remember correctly Wake Forest, Clemson and Maryland walked out of the conference meeting back then but not sure.

Re: I'm happy to consider valid information about Swofford

Aug 14, 2020, 4:41 PM [ in reply to I'm happy to consider valid information about Swofford ]

I am waiting on the answer on who pushed for that extra year of probation? Wake, Clemson and Maryland walked out of that meeting in protest. Who was it?

Aug 14, 2020, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Re: The commissioner has far less power than people think. ]

There is a TNET/David Hood article which debunks the long repeated rumor about Swofford pushing for the extra year of probation.

Just because something is repeated a million times on a sports message board, it doesn't mean it is necessarily true.

https://www.tigernet.com/story/What-really-happened-with-Swofford-and-the-extra-year-10615

Aug 14, 2020, 2:25 PM [ in reply to The commissioner has far less power than people think. ]

You hit the nail on the head. Odd how few people know/believe how the league works. The Commissioners of the Big 10, SEC, and the former Big East have/had a lot more personal power and have sometimes acted like dictators of their leagues. I like the ACC model where the Schools act like the BOT and fairly strongly govern what the Commissioner does and can do.

I say that even while Clemson was the red-headed step child of the ACC for many years. In the past the ACC has had commissioners with very strong connections to Wake, UNC, Virginia. Those commissioners included:

James H. Weaver 1954-1970 (Wake Forest Head Coach)
Robert James 1971-1987 (Maryland Football Player)
Eugene F. Corrigan 1987-1997 (Duke Lacrosse Player)
John Swofford 1997-present(UNC Football Player)

A guy like DRad with connections to both GT and Clemson at least has a shot at the opening.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2020, 12:57 PM

Just my take,but if Swofford was a UNC guy,why not have a Clemson man to run the Conference for a change.
I definitely think he would be more fair,over all to the Conference than John Boy( no not that John Boy).
We can still find us a good AD.

Aug 14, 2020, 2:39 PM

Good night, John Boy.

Aug 14, 2020, 2:01 PM

The ACC needs to find aa new commissioner with NO PRIOR AFFILIATION with any of the member schools.
To date, all commissioners had a relationship with one of the members prior to accepting the job. To avoid an appearance of favoritism, get an individual that is void of that background. Swofford still is dressing in light blue underwear.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2020, 2:40 PM

We have the best linkage from top to bottom, from Coach to AD to Pres to Board of any program in the country. DRad is a part of that chain, and I am not in favor of breaking it and inserting a new link that could weaken it.

Aug 14, 2020, 2:37 PM

Would be a nice salary bump for DRad.

Article from 2018 says he makes $950k. Assume he is possibly above $1M by now.

Swofford is making $3.5. DRad probably wouldn't get that much out of the gate. Entry level Sankey makes $2M in the SEC.

So, getting this job would probably double his pay and he will never again have to deal with hiring and firing decisions of coaches. He could just sit up in Greensboro and count his coin.

Aug 14, 2020, 3:04 PM

I know it is blasphemous to say anything nice about Swofford, but I'm going to take the risk.

First, I agree it is best that a commissioner not have any direct ties to member institutions. Even if the person is completely above-board and honorable, there will also be concerns about favoritism.

Swofford fought for the CFP. This has benefited Clemson. He was late to the dedicated TV network game, but we finally got there and are in a better position than the Big 12 and Pac 12 in that regard.

Basically, he has done nothing to discourage the rise of Clemson football back to prominence under Coach Swinney. Swofford is not responsible for our success, but certainly hasn't done anything to hinder it and seems genuinely happy to have Clemson as a football elite as it is good for the league.

I didn't like Swofford at all when Tommy Bowden was coach. Now with Dabo, I don't mind him so much. Funny how that works.

To me Lenny Wirtz, #### Paparo, Jamie Luckie, Duane Heydt, the 1985 Maryland game officials and the clock operator in Cameron Indoor Stadium circa 2007 are the biggest villains in ACC history.

I hope he takes it...

Aug 14, 2020, 4:57 PM

Would be nice to bring in someone who wants football to still be on tip" but wants to win in basketball big. Like Florida, Michigan and Texas.
After facilities he has ridden Brad as almost far as he can get us. Brad doesn't win big this year and next the program will be going down the slope for sure ...

Re: I hope he takes it...

Aug 14, 2020, 5:23 PM

And for those who think that Clemson shouldn’t win more in basketball, Rivals Southeast Recruiting Evaluator Dan McDonald just recently ranked Clemson the 8th best job in the ACC. He makes a good argument in his comments. I’d say we should be winning more, don’t you?? See Link:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/ranking-the-best-basketball-jobs-by-conference-acc

Aug 14, 2020, 9:51 PM

We want to keep DRad. He would be wasted on the rest of the ACC, though Ga Tech would most likely be glad to have a share of his attention again.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic