Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do any of you remember the 70's?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Do any of you remember the 70's?

Jan 18, 2021, 8:25 PM

Oh, not the years but points given up by Steele's Orange Bowl defense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yet another game I did not watch

Jan 18, 2021, 8:32 PM

which is why we lost, I do not know why that is, happens every time. I missed the Ohio State game because I fell asleep, woke up for a few minutes and we scored, then fell back to sleep.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do any of you remember the 70's?

Jan 18, 2021, 8:41 PM

We all remember that horrible night. Not only was the game bad but there was a small group of young guys from Easley who made me ashamed of wearing Tiger orange . There are many who witnessed their “performance” that night who have a very bad feeling for my university .
It’s amazing how the Tigers have emerged as one of college football best after that pitiful showing . Says a lot about mr Dabo and company. I hope this last game in the Sugar Bowl has a similar affect on the team. NO more of that!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2021, 8:41 PM

We all remember that horrible night. Not only was the game bad but there was a small group of young guys from Easley who made me ashamed of wearing Tiger orange . There are many who witnessed their “performance” that night who have a very bad feeling for my university .
It’s amazing how the Tigers have emerged as one of college football best after that pitiful showing . Says a lot about mr Dabo and company. I hope this last game in the Sugar Bowl has a similar affect on the team. NO more of that!

Jan 18, 2021, 8:42 PM

Jan 18, 2021, 9:01 PM

I just showed you my skills! Sorry about the triple post.

Jan 19, 2021, 10:34 AM

I just assumed you were trying to make your point.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2021, 8:51 PM

Ironically it was an offensive failure in the second quarter which started the deluge against us. Andre Ellington, a really good player, fumbled at the West Virginia goal line and it became a scoop/score. I think it became a two touchdown lead for the Mountaineers instead of a tie game. The rest of that game was just awful for Tiger fans. But, I'd say the next nine years have turned out fantastically well for the Tigers. Perhaps the loss to OSU will provide similar results over the next nine years.

Jan 19, 2021, 8:15 AM

Indeed, that one play seemed to break our back and spirit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everyone says the LSU game Turned our program

Jan 18, 2021, 9:15 PM

Around, but imo, it was that WV game.

Re: Everyone says the LSU game Turned our program

Jan 19, 2021, 8:14 AM

You're right. It was the painful WVU game that turned things around, but it was the LSU game that showed the world we'd turned the corner (less than one full year later...Jan 2012 and Dec 2012).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It showed the World , but more importantly it showed that

Jan 19, 2021, 10:18 AM

We belong and can compete with the élite and even beat them.

Jan 18, 2021, 10:35 PM

When the players quit, that is the result.

Tell 'em u6c coot

Jan 19, 2021, 7:36 AM

you would know quitting, mr.2-8

Oh, yes! I remember the 70-33 game - I was there.

Jan 19, 2021, 1:02 AM

1949 Gator Bowl Prelude

My late father (left Clemson his junior year in 1942 for WWII) and two of his brothers-in-law decided to catch the train from Greenwood down to the Jan 1, 1949 Gator Bowl against Missouri. All of the three wives were expecting and couldn’t travel in their “condition.” Clemson had a 10-0 season and won the Gator Bowl, 24-23, under legandary coach Frank Howard. The husband’s decided to buy the wives something “special” and bought each an aluminum orange juicer and some Florida oranges. Well, it may have been the hormones but the wives were, shall we say, less than thrilled. My dad bore the scar on his bald head the rest of his life as witness to my mother’s ire!

Fast forward to the 2012 Orange Bowl where my son (Clemson 2000) and I attended (at least until the middle of the 4th quarter!) in Miami. I brought my wife back an identical aluminum juicer! She was more understanding of continuing the tradition. Plus I knew to bring some additional and more appropriate gifts!

It’s a looong drive from the Lowcountry down to Miami but after the 70-33 drubbing the drive home seemed to take forever!

Footnote: I wonder if the Mountaineers would be willing to have lost that game 70-33, IF they could also swap records with Clemson since then? No brainer!

WVA record (2012-2020) 62-49
One 10 win season.

Clemson record (2012-2020) 111-14
At least 10 wins every season and two National Championships!

Go Tigers!

I remember one play, the goal line "fumble" that they

Jan 19, 2021, 7:38 AM

took the length of the field the other way. That was a perfect microcosm of that game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For some reason, parts of the 70's are kinda smokey, er

Jan 19, 2021, 9:15 AM

HAZY to me? Especially concerts, for some reason.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic