Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do Y'all Remember Zack As Tiger Mascot?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Do Y'all Remember Zack As Tiger Mascot?

Jun 2, 2020, 9:08 AM

Back around 79-82 or so, The Tiger mascot used to get away with murder. He would march in the other team's band at halftime, mock the referees, get into fights with the other team's mascots, and I even remember him laying on a lounge chair in the other team's end zone while they had the ball on the other end of the field.
Can y'all remember any funny Tiger stories?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Yes, "those were the days..."***

Jun 2, 2020, 9:20 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do Y'all Remember Zack As Tiger Mascot?

Jun 2, 2020, 9:29 AM

Zach was awesome!!!! We were televised one game (not as many back then)). The Tiger showed up in a tux and setup a tv and chair in the end zone. Wanted to be dressed for the occasion and see himself on tv. That was during my student years. We were always looking to see what he would do next.

Jun 2, 2020, 9:42 AM

Zach sounds like a funny guy. My buddy was the Tiger Cub from 2005-2007. My favorite memory was when we played Miami in 2005. He went over to Miami’s mascot with a bag of bread and nonchalantly started throwing handfuls of bread in his face. Whoever was in the suit threatened him to get back on his sideline and my buddy slowly backed away, still throwing handfuls of bread. It was hilarious.

Jun 2, 2020, 9:34 AM

He was awesome. Just there my freshman year in 79. Started the push up thing and used to antagonize the #### out of the other team and fans. He's a vet in Duluth GA now. I think the name of his clinic is Tiger Tails.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He made the Deamon Deacon do 82 pushups

Jun 2, 2020, 9:36 AM

I knew him in college. He was a super guy.

Anybody know where he is now?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: He made the Deamon Deacon do 82 pushups

Jun 2, 2020, 9:38 AM

I played football with him in Greenville if it’s Zach Mills?I graduated in 73 and he was several years younger than me.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. Couldn't think the last name. Think he was class of '82***

Jun 2, 2020, 12:04 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Jun 2, 2020, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Do Y'all Remember Zack As Tiger Mascot? ]

I could be mistaken, my memories become increasingly foggy with each year. But I believe that Ricky Capps was the tiger in ‘81 season. Zach Mills, I believe, was the Tiger before Ricky.

Jun 2, 2020, 9:45 AM

I seem to recall the Tiger carrying around a huge bottle of champagne one time. He would literally get kicked out of school if that happened now in this politically correct world.

Jun 2, 2020, 9:50 AM

I think it was Zach Mills.

Couple things I remember.

I didn't see it, but we were playing as the homecoming opponent on the road in the ACC. As the homecoming court came onto the field and the Queen was announced, Zach walked through the band and gave the Queen a hug. The crowd went crazy. I read this story as told by our AD at the time that THAT was the most worried he had ever been with Zach. He saw him walking through the band and immediately knew what he was going to do, and didn't know how the crowd would react.

Against Maryland, close game, coming out of a timeout, MD had a couple free throws to shoot. No one was paying attention and the MD player suddenly points at the goal and it slightly shaking. Zach had spent the time out shaking the goal post back and forth and had it moving (attached to the floor back then). Lefty Driesell went bonkers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2020, 10:08 AM

I was at the freezing cold Peach Bowl when Zack decided to wrestle with the Baylor Bear. The bear won.

Zack vs Bear

Jun 2, 2020, 12:57 PM

Before the game started at the '79 Peach Bowl, the Baylor bear was in the end zone sitting on his rear drinking a Pepsi. When he finished, he stood and saw Zack the tiger standing in the other side of the end zone. The bear took off, jerking the chain from the handler, and he hit the tiger with his front paws and knocked him 20 feet through the air and was on him before he hit the ground. Bear 1 Zach 0

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2020, 10:09 AM

At the roach he climbed up and sat on the goal post with rubber chicken and was in the act of choking it if you know what I mean. :) probably the 79 game there.

Great mascot, one of the best ever.

Would get in between the NC State marching band members while they were marching at half time an use his tail as a fake trumpet.

Jun 2, 2020, 10:20 AM

I coached Zack and his brothers in high school. You probably remember Jeff Mills, who was a fine tackle at Clemson
playing for Charlie Pell.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2020, 10:28 AM

Didn't know that.

Jun 2, 2020, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Do Y'all Remember Zack As Tiger Mascot? ]

Yes I remember Jeff. Practice one day he didn’t see me coming and I pancaked him. Jay Lunsford was line coach and went off about me putting him down. Rest of practice was awful.I was 170 pound guard and Jeff was around 230 at the time.

Jun 2, 2020, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Do Y'all Remember Zack As Tiger Mascot? ]

I graduated with Doug.So you coached me too.

Jun 2, 2020, 10:29 AM

Zack was the best!

https://clemsonwiki.com/wiki/Zack_Mills

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Yes, I do. I was a either in high school or my first year

Jun 2, 2020, 12:31 PM

in college at Tri-County Tech. He was great! Nothing was shy about Zack! Going to the games back in the late 70's and 80's was just so exciting. So many other schools was the envy of Clemson especially road games! Great times!

Jun 2, 2020, 2:18 PM

Remember the time the Tiger dress in orange overalls and a "feed bag". He walked through the U of SC players as they warmed up throwing feed on the ground. How he survived no one knows!!

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic