Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Methodists and Casseroles
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Methodists and Casseroles

Feb 22, 2021, 3:11 PM

Most of you are probably familiar with the old story about the teacher who asked her students to bring to class something related to their religion. Several students had already made their presentation when the teacher told Johnny it was now his turn. Johnny arose and in his hand he held a large covered dish. He faced his class mates and said, "I'm a Methodist and this is a casserole".

Do any f you guys and gals remember those covered dish suppers?

Well, I'm a Methodist and I just finished putting together an eggplant casserole. This casserole is not going to any church supper, it's going to stay right here at my abode. I do love an eggplant casserole. The only bad thing is I dirty up so many dishes and utensils putting the ingredients together. Takes me about 1.5 to 2 hours to put it together and clean up the mess I've made. I have an angel food cake and some strawberries for dessert but I don't know what else will be on the menu. I'll let my daughter make that decision.

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Methodists and Casseroles

Feb 22, 2021, 3:27 PM

That sounds delicious, Joe!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2021, 7:11 PM

gays and gals Joe? ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2021, 3:32 PM

I've been Baptist and Methodist and we both do that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Baptist AND Methodist...dang.

Feb 22, 2021, 5:14 PM

Reminds me of an old joke...why don’t Baptists have ‘relations’ standing up? Because someone might see them and think they were dancing.

Methodists are the Great Value version of casserole makers

Feb 22, 2021, 3:34 PM

compared to Baptists.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2021, 3:51 PM

As a Methodist, God Bless Tigernet, you and your family. Prayer before communion.

Going to the Methodist Church in Clemson back when

Feb 22, 2021, 3:52 PM

I might have sampled one or two of Joe's casseroles. I can remembers the ladies of the church would put out their finest cuisine in the fellowship hall which was located underneath the sanctuary.

Feb 22, 2021, 4:12 PM

I loved the covered dish suppers at St. John's Methodist in Fort Mill, but if had come across an eggplant casserole back at that young age, I'm sure I would have lost my religion.

BTW, my wife makes an excellent egg plant parm these days

Thanks Joe!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2021, 4:28 PM

Everyone also had their person in their church whose casserole you did not want to eat or even try !!
Am I right ?

Feb 22, 2021, 4:31 PM

Baptist vs. Methodist covered dish lunches, that would be one fantastic meal. We still do those at the Baptist Church!

Feb 22, 2021, 4:58 PM

Joe,
I had not heard that one but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also remember casserole church dinners and I am Presbyterian. Thanks for sharing .

When I was just a little 76er growing up, my mom would

Feb 22, 2021, 5:17 PM

occasionally fix what I thought was a great delicacy: Fried Eggplant and Grits. I still love it on those rare occasions that I make the trek to the grocery store with the wife and see an eggplant on the shelf.

Sometimes the simple pleasures in life are the best. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When I was just a little 76er growing up, my mom would

Feb 22, 2021, 8:43 PM

if you have a BJs nearby,look for michaelangelo's brand fried eggplant.very close to homemade.comes in a bag and makes any recipe a lot easier to prep.grew up around a large italian population(almost married one)and was exposed to a lot of their cuisine.good stuff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

We would have grits almost every morning for breakfast

Feb 24, 2021, 9:05 AM

when I was growing up. Another "delicacy" mom would sometimes make to accompany the grits was fried salmon patties. Those two things went really well together.

In later years, my Dad, as part of reliving his own youth, bought several old gristmills, and got one of them back in working shape. Henceforth, we ground our own grits with it. Yellow grits puts white grits to shame tastewise.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen on missing the simple pleasures

Feb 22, 2021, 8:45 PM [ in reply to When I was just a little 76er growing up, my mom would ]

Nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

worst part of a covered dish supper, couldn't eat enough!***

Feb 22, 2021, 6:04 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Difference between Methodists and Baptists?

Feb 22, 2021, 6:16 PM

Methodists will say he to you at the liquor store.

Re: Difference between Methodists and Baptists?

Feb 22, 2021, 8:24 PM

I am Methodist. I grew up with this one. The difference between a Methodist and Baptist.

Methodist go in the front door at the Red dot store, but Baptist go in the back door.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So will the family from India because they own it. ??

Feb 22, 2021, 8:48 PM [ in reply to Difference between Methodists and Baptists? ]

Sorry but that’s the way it seems

Feb 22, 2021, 6:20 PM

I just came in from feeding the horses and sat down a couple minutes before the next chore when the better half (a Methodist) started talking about casseroles. There's something to that story Joe.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2021, 6:49 PM

New wave bud

Joe I recall those summertime covered dish suppers

Feb 22, 2021, 8:41 PM

and church volleyball and softball before and after we’d eat. Man I miss those days. Thanks for good memories!

Garrison Keillor on Methodists

Feb 22, 2021, 9:00 PM

And before you read it, yes, I am also Methodist.

COVID has changed the way we practice of few of these things but certainly not the spirit with which we do them.

I think it's (mostly) spot on. Hope you enjoy!

We make fun of Methodists for their blandness, their excessive calm, their fear of giving offense, their lack of speed, and also for their secret fondness for macaroni and cheese.

But nobody sings like them. If you were to ask an audience in New York City, a relatively Methodist-less place, to sing along on the chorus of "Michael Row the Boat Ashore," they will look daggers at you as if you had asked them to strip to their underwear. But if you do this among Methodists, they'd smile and row that boat ashore and up on the beach! And down the road!

Many Methodists are bred from childhood to sing in four-part harmony, a talent that comes from sitting on the lap of someone singing alto or tenor or bass and hearing the harmonic intervals by putting your little head against that person's rib cage.

It's natural for Methodists to sing in harmony. We are too modest to be soloists, too worldly to sing in unison. When you're singing in the key of C and you slide into the A7th and D7th chords, all two hundred of you, it's an emotionally fulfilling moment. By our joining in harmony, we somehow promise that we will not forsake each other.

I do believe this: People, these Methodists, who love to sing in four-part harmony are the sort of people you can call up when you're in deep distress.

*If you're dying, they will comfort you.

*If you are lonely, they'll talk to you.

*And if you are hungry, they'll give you tuna salad.

*Methodists believe in prayer, but would practically die if asked to pray out loud.

*Methodists like to sing, except when confronted with a new hymn or a hymn with more than four stanzas.

*Methodists believe their pastors will visit them in the hospital, even if they don't notify them that they are there.

*Methodists usually follow the official liturgy and will feel it is their away of suffering for their sins.

*Methodists believe in miracles and even expect miracles, especially during their stewardship visitation programs or when passing the plate.

*Methodists think that the Bible forbids them from crossing the aisle while passing the peace.

*Methodists drink coffee as if it were the Third Sacrament.

*Methodists feel guilty for not staying to clean up after their own wedding reception in the Fellowship Hall.

*Methodists are willing to pay up to one dollar for a meal at the church.

*Methodists still serve Jell-O in the proper liturgical color of the season and think that peas in a tuna casserole adds too much color.

*Methodists believe that it is OK to poke fun at themselves and never take themselves too seriously.

And finally,

+ You know you are a Methodist when: it's 100 degrees, with 90% humidity, and you still have coffee after the service.

+ You hear something funny during the sermon and smile as loudly as you can.

+ Donuts are a line item in the church budget, just like coffee.

+ When you watch a Star Wars movie and they say, "May the Force be with you," and you respond, "and also with you."

+ And lastly, it takes ten minutes to say good-bye!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Garrison Keillor on Methodists

Feb 22, 2021, 9:07 PM

Ok, I just saw my parents some and my sister a lot in this description. But I must say after spending the first half of my life as a Methodist and the more recent decades as a Baptist, I have to plead guilty to "And also with you!"

Feb 22, 2021, 9:40 PM

Since there has been several Methodists who have responded to my original post, I'll dig out one of my Methodists stories about singing and post it in a day or two. And not to show any favoritism, I'll post a story about the Baptists.

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 23, 2021, 5:13 PM

I well remember pot-luck socials in our church's fellowship hall, during the 60's. My sisters and I were required to wait patiently and go to the end of the line. It was a hardship because we knew our mother's dish, and grandmother's dish would be empty by the time we got to the food. The only dishes left were from, what everyone in the congregation knew were bad cooks.

We also had to settle for the Kool-Aid provided, while our friends got the 5 cents (later a dime) needed for the coke machine. We also sat as a family and were expected to converse with our elders. Our friends sat at a 'cool' kids table.

We learned a lot at those dinners, and I can't thank my parents enough. RIP

Feb 24, 2021, 11:44 AM

Thanks for sharing such a great memory. 74TIGER is right. The Methodist and the Baptist are always looking for a reason to have a covered dish meal. I loved those gatherings growing up. You could get some great food. Also, my mom turned me in to a food tester when there was something we could not identify. If I liked it she and my Dad would try it.

Today’s Kids do not really know how great life was and how much fun church get togethers were and how much fun family reunions could be.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic