Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did anyone watch this "town hall" on CNN?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 605

Did anyone watch this "town hall" on CNN?

Feb 23, 2018, 4:52 PM

If so, what do you think about this evaluation of it? I wonder, because the kinds of things said seem extreme and not very thoughtful. That's somewhat to be expected in the wake of a majorly traumatic event, but this is perhaps why we should be a little more hesitant about sticking cameras in survivors' faces immediately after a traumatic event:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/02/cnn-town-hall-gun-control-debate-bias/

"It was an event where a student could compare Senator Marco Rubio (R., Fla.) to a mass murderer and question whether NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch truly cares about her children, without ever being challenged.

Between all the demonizing, heckling, sophistry, gaslighting, platitudes, and emotional appeals, members of the crowd — people who should never be the target of conspiracy theories or ad hominem attacks but shouldn’t be exempted from a real debate either — booed a rape survivor’s story and cheered at the idea of banning “every semi-automatic rifle in America.”...

So a real divide exists in America, not between those who want to “do something” and those who don’t, but between those who believe there is a natural right to own and defend oneself with a weapon — preferably a semi-automatic weapon — and those who do not. The latter position seemed to be prevalent among the young people at the town hall, and certainly among their cheering section. While I feel great sorrow for these kids and worry about my own, I have no moral duty to be on their side politically.

More immediately, events like the CNN town hall go a long way in convincing gun owners that gun-control advocates do have a desire to confiscate their weapons. The advocates can’t confiscate weapons right now, so they support whatever feasible incremental steps are available to inch further toward that goal. We don’t know how this plays out in the long run. In the short run, though, it does nothing to stop the next school shooting."

I do think Harsanyi is wrong that the only solution offered by the left is to ban (certain, or all) guns. In fact, I was at a meeting this week where a Democratic congressman offered a bill intended to treat gun violence (and, really, all violent crime) more like a public health crisis than a problem for law enforcement. I'm somewhat skeptical of that approach because I think it's too deterministic (a doctor who heads up a group called "Cure Violence" was the ideological driving force behind the bill, and his theory is that violence is a disease just like physical diseases), but nobody on the panel even really referred to gun control. In fact, the first person who talked about banning guns was somebody from an advocacy group in the audience.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There will probably be strongly divided sentiment

Feb 23, 2018, 5:02 PM

on this issue and many others as long as the MSM remain so strongly Leftist. You literally have only one media outlet (and media is a stretch) in FoxNews as the balance to the Left.

The MSM has gotten too enamored in being News Hollywood Celebrities....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There will probably be strongly divided sentiment

Feb 24, 2018, 1:26 PM

bengaline said:

on this issue and many others as long as the MSM remain so strongly Leftist. You literally have only one media outlet (and media is a stretch) in FoxNews as the balance to the Left.

The MSM has gotten too enamored in being News Hollywood Celebrities....

I think this will continue to be a devisive issue in spite of the media. I remember the country being deeply divided by Civil Rights and the Vietnam War. They were inherently divisive just as guns are.

You can blame it on the media but I think that is just too short sighted.

We have a history of division in the country and we've always figured out a way to overcome it given enough time and common sense.

Fox News is to the right what MSNBC is to the left. There will always be opposing ideologies in media, there have always been. We probably would never have gone to war in the Philippines had it not been for William Randolph Hearst's editorials.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

7***

Feb 23, 2018, 5:19 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reason #4,561,210 why I could never be a politician.

Feb 23, 2018, 6:16 PM

Just from seeing the clips, I'm impressed Rubio didn't knock a few teeth out the way folks were talking to him. People in general have just gotten incredibly coarse over the past few years and think rules of civility shouldn't apply to them. It's like the worst elements of the P&R board showed up to that thing to actually speak.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess people weren't willing to "buy into his agenda"***

Feb 23, 2018, 6:22 PM

I have no issue with the disagreements they had with him.

Feb 23, 2018, 6:30 PM

Civil debate is healthy and should lead to productivity. Showing up to hoot and holler and make an ### out yourself is pretty counterproductive, IMO, and leads to each side digging in and reaffirming why they are right, instead of listening to each other.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree in general

Feb 23, 2018, 6:37 PM

but I'm not sure how productive town halls are generally to make things any more productive. And many of these types of things tend to happen at "town halls," it's why you rarely see congressmen hold them on unpopular subjects back in their home state.

What I do know is I sense more momentum behind the gun issue right now than after the Vegas shooting or even Sandy Hook and I think that's directly because of the leadership and emotion shown from these kids and the public support behind them. Saying that, Republicans are firmly entrenched on this issue and control Government so there is little to no chance anything will probably be done on the issue. (I'd wager there's a better chance that MORE guns will end up in schools as absurd of an idea as that is...)

Re: agree in general

Feb 26, 2018, 3:57 PM

Give it a few weeks.....this will be forgotten until the next school shooting. Mid-terms will come up. The same repubs that say they are out there "listening" will be the same ones saying that the dems want to take all of our guns away. It will all go back to the way it was where nothing ever changes and we continue to kill each other. Meanwhile, other countries look at us and just shake their heads.

Re: I have no issue with the disagreements they had with him.

Feb 24, 2018, 1:27 PM [ in reply to I have no issue with the disagreements they had with him. ]

Civil debate is healthy and should lead to productivity. Showing up to hoot and holler and make an ### out yourself is pretty counterproductive, IMO, and leads to each side digging in and reaffirming why they are right, instead of listening to each other.

I guess you didn't see Trump's speech at CPAC the other day?

Terrible disregard for true victims Rubio and Loesch....

Feb 24, 2018, 8:58 AM

People were mean to them, and you should be outraged.

The survivors were totally out of control and puppets of CNN - who are the lowest scum bags to ever walk the earth.

Thanks for your extremely stupid take

Feb 26, 2018, 1:06 PM

Being a victim doesn't justify everything a victim does or says, and not everything a victim does or says is helpful.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#### no. CNN is a propaganda machine.

Feb 24, 2018, 9:47 AM

They prove it everyday

https://imgur.com/a/Gl9Wz

Replies: 12
| visibility 605
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic