Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dem Rep says 75% of National Guard
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 664

Dem Rep says 75% of National Guard

Jan 19, 2021, 10:32 AM

"might do something"

“The guard is 90-some-odd percent, I believe, male,” Cohen said in a Monday interview with CNN’s Jim Sciutto. “Only about 20 percent of white males voted for Biden. You’ve got to figure that in the guard, which is predominantly more conservative — I see that on my social media, and we know it. They’re probably not more than 25 percent of the people that are there protecting us that are voting for Biden.

“The other 75 percent are in the class, the large class of folks, who might want to do something,” he added.

And you wonder why white males are so mad at the ruling class. You wonder why there is anger. Its the lefts war on America.

The CNN anchor even tried to help him walk it back and he didn't, he just doubled down.

"Sciutto expressed reservations about Cohen’s assessment. “I mean — to have voted for Trump does not make you an insider threat,” Sciutto protested. He nudged Cohen to reframe his argument, asking, “I’m curious, is there anything you’ve seen to substantiate just how broad this insider threat might be, if it exists?”

“Actually not, Jim,” Cohen replied. “Hm,” Sciutto responded, nodding and looking blankly on."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I agree, that was a dumb comment.

Jan 19, 2021, 10:46 AM

Especially the idea that if you voted for Trump, you're somehow part of the crazies. Only a small portion of those who voted for him are that.

Most Trump voters I know were very opposed to Jan. 6 violence and any future violence.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

very true

Jan 19, 2021, 11:02 AM

but out of a group of 25k mostly males, how many do you think are diehards, and how many quite possibly insane? I mean these are guys that choose to run around playing soldier in the woods on the weekends. There is a small chance something really stupid could happen. I am all in favor of doing this from inside the Whitehouse, being that trump has already vacated.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For that to happen...

Jan 19, 2021, 11:16 AM

There's going to have to be a coordinated effort by officers in charge who trust that enough troops will follow their lead. I don't see it happening.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

And perhaps more importantly, at some point the leadership

Jan 19, 2021, 11:22 AM

in Washington must make the comment that they are A) in charge and B) believe in the institutions that support the country. The optics and statement made by the POTUS inauguration being moved inside the White House because "Hey...most of the National Guard are white males (holy smokes, what a comment) and we're afraid they might try something" are absolutely horrible.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Agreed, and...

Jan 19, 2021, 11:28 AM

This inauguration needs to be outside in full view as a solid "#### you" to the nutjobs.

Re: And perhaps more importantly, at some point the leadership

Jan 19, 2021, 12:12 PM [ in reply to And perhaps more importantly, at some point the leadership ]

yeah, I guess I have to agree with that.

Re: For that to happen...

Jan 19, 2021, 12:12 PM [ in reply to For that to happen... ]

agree, impossible to organize, but you can never account for every lone lunatic.

There is no way...

Jan 19, 2021, 11:21 AM [ in reply to very true ]

if it does happen, then honestly, we were already screwed. Even the Guard guys train and train and train about chain of command and following orders. It's part of why our army is as lethal as it is. Each guy is taught to worry about 1) orders and 2) not ####### up and getting the guy next to you killed. If the NG has lost the ability to fulfill a mission that some of the troops may personally find less than ideal then we are already done as a country.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hopefully his constituents hold him accountable

Jan 19, 2021, 11:22 AM

for his words.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: hopefully his constituents hold him accountable

Jan 19, 2021, 11:44 AM

I left him a pleasant message on his office voice mail. I'm sure he would like to hear more (202) 225-3265. No cursing or threats were involved, but I do feel better.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: very true

Jan 19, 2021, 1:28 PM [ in reply to very true ]

Yeah, the Congressman's reasoning was absurd.

The chances of the Guard initiating anything are infinitesimally small. OTOH, they would be foolish & negligent not to look into the possibility in advance - especially given that it seems that at least a few of the Capitol police were less than strident in their protection of the Capitol 2 weeks ago.

You've got a point

Jan 19, 2021, 10:55 AM

It's extremely insulting to the Guard to insinuate some in their ranks might do the opposite of their job at the inaug. It's also insulting to be boiled down to a statistic.

But your wording is misleading: 18,750 Guardsmen aren't going to turn their rifles on the stage tomorrow; that's absurd, and obviously not what insensitive d-bag rep meant. I think he's insinuating there might be a Qanon or Proud Boy or something in the ranks. Two Guardsmen have already been removed from the security mission because of ties to far-right groups.

Still, Cohen is a d-bag. He could have easily made that point without p*ssing anybody off. That's what I take away from this; not anything about "the left's war on America". Control your overreactions.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no I won't

Jan 19, 2021, 10:56 AM

take any advice from you, but thanks for thinking that I would

Re: You've got a point

Jan 19, 2021, 1:34 PM [ in reply to You've got a point ]

Yeah, It seems that some reactionaries think that all of us on the left are in some kind of lockstep. But in reality, one of the things I say to myself the most often is, "Jesuschrist, I wish (this particular leftist #######) would stop and think about what he/she is saying before they pop off on camera.

I often tell my friends that every person running for office should hire a contrarian for their staff - a person whom you would run such stupid public statements by and their job would be to say - "no that is stupid and embarrassing - you can't say that in public.

I am sure some of you guys on the right sense the same feeling when one of your guts says something stupid.

More bridge building by a Democrat. Wow. We can't trust

Jan 19, 2021, 11:23 AM

our own National Guard because they are mostly white males.

null

I hope they don't attempt to build a SINGLE bridge with

Jan 19, 2021, 11:32 AM

Trump deplorables.

You can't be a piece of #### for 4 years and then all of a sudden want "unity". That's not the way this is going to work. The sooner you realize that, the better off you'll be.

Re: I hope they don't attempt to build a SINGLE bridge with

Jan 19, 2021, 11:54 AM

The country will definitely benefit from your advice. Yep, we definitely need more polarization with no attempt to understand one another. Your advice would have been awesome following the actual Civi War. If our ancestors had not recognized the need to try to "bury the hatchet," we would have ultimately lost the Union. What you propose is sure to lead to more discord. Not a good plan, but certainly a stubborn one.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would mean more if you had been posting this for 4 years.

Jan 19, 2021, 12:20 PM

But, you haven't so it doesn't.

Here you go

Jan 19, 2021, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope they don't attempt to build a SINGLE bridge with ]

Post image

I like your funny words magic man

Re: I hope they don't attempt to build a SINGLE bridge with

Jan 19, 2021, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope they don't attempt to build a SINGLE bridge with ]

ron,

I agree with your call to unity. EVERY President should make that a priority in their administration. They are the President of ALL Americans, not just the ones that voted for them.

Still, it is a bit ironic that the supporters of the most divisive President in my lifetime are now making unity their #1 rallying cry. Where was this unity talk for the last four years ?

I don't think we need to try to understand...

Jan 19, 2021, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope they don't attempt to build a SINGLE bridge with ]

The extremist white supremacist/neo Nazi contingent of his base. We know their mission statement, and it's neither changing nor does it work well with kindness and understanding.

Message was edited by: Catahoula®

I feel confident that we should all be on the same side on

Jan 19, 2021, 2:31 PM [ in reply to I hope they don't attempt to build a SINGLE bridge with ]

this one and so I invite you for a retake.

I would argue (and invite your counterargument) that there were pieces of #### on all sides over the past four years. I would also like to be clear on who the Trump "deplorables" are that you prefer to avoid bridging to? Is it white males? Is it anyone of the 70 million Americans who voted for Trump? Because what Cohen just said was that people who volunteered to be a member of the national guard cannot be trusted...because the majority of them are males...and white males overwhelmingly supported Trump. Is this something you're getting behind?

"The way this is going to work" is going to be the way we choose, or tolerate, that it works...unless you live in the zero-sum world that Trump was so derided for living in.

null

He should be impeached.***

Jan 19, 2021, 11:42 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

I trust our military personnel

Jan 19, 2021, 12:34 PM

to do their jobs, regardless of political leanings, just like I trust the same of law enforcement, judges, health officials, etc.

Re: I trust our military personnel

Jan 19, 2021, 1:44 PM

The National Guard will comport themselves in a way that will make us all proud. i have no doubts about that.

However, let's cut some of these politicians just a little bit of slack. They have found themselves in a position that they could have never imagined. The Congress men and women have experienced, first-hand, an insurrection that was unthinkable to them. Many have responded well. And some have reacted not so well.

This congressman has reacted poorly and he was wrong in his thinking, but he was being human and letting the moment overwhelm his better instincts.

Replies: 25
| visibility 664
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic