Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dec. 7, 1941 & Dec. 7, 1946
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,328

Dec. 7, 1941 & Dec. 7, 1946

Dec 7, 2019, 12:31 PM

On Nov. 25, 1941, the war was raging in Europe but we were not yet actively engaged. Our industrial section was producing all sorts of items for England and other allies. Having reached the ripe old age of 20 on Nov. 25, per the law, I had to go down to the local Post Office and register for the draft. About six of us 19 or 20 year old guys had left the Univ. of Florida at the end of the spring semester and were working for the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad in Waycross, GA.

I had gone down to Florida on Dec. 5th. to visit family members. Returning to Waycross on Dec. 7, we were somewhere north of Jacksonville. The car radio was on and then the music suddenly stopped. Then came the announcement of the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor. That was some somber news. We knew immediately we were now actively involved in the war. In my case as well as my other 20 year old friends, we knew the draft would now affect us in the immediate future. And, indeed, it did. By the end of September 1942, all six of us were in military service.

Dec.7, 1946, was also an important date. The war was over and I had returned to the Univ. of Florida. I had dated a cute little girl who, later on, was a Navy WAVE during the war. She was now a student at FSU. I made contact with her and we began dating again, spending a lot of time on the road between Gainesville and Tallahassee. On Dec.7, 1946, while sitting on a park bench on the campus of FSU, I asked this young lady to be my wife and she said "YES". This time it was "happy" news that led to almost 66 wonderful years before her death.

So, I always consider Dec. 7 as being an important date in my life.

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Salute to Veterans***

Dec 7, 2019, 12:39 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dec. 7, 1941 & Dec. 7, 1946

Dec 7, 2019, 1:03 PM

Many thanks to you for your service. And to my father who was a veteran of the Normandy invasion and to all veterans everywhere. The world is a better place for your contributions.
T. Cary

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Greatest generation = Joe21

Dec 7, 2019, 1:26 PM

Thanks so much for your service. I love your stories Joe. A lot of them bring back memories of my Dad. Keep them coming.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Greatest generation = Joe21

Dec 7, 2019, 1:26 PM

Thanks so much for your service. I love your stories Joe. A lot of them bring back memories of my Dad. Keep them coming.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2019, 2:45 PM

December 7, 1787: Delaware became the first state to ratify the Constitution. Thus "The First State" on Delaware license plates and why December 7 is known as "Delaware Day."

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ClemTigs

Dec 7, 2019, 2:45 PM

December 7, 1787: Delaware became the first state to ratify the Constitution. Thus "The First State" on Delaware license plates and why December 7 is known as "Delaware Day."

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ClemTigs

Salute to you and your wife

Dec 7, 2019, 2:55 PM

Thank you for the sacrifice that allows me to live this great American life!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,328
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic