Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Commentary: Dabo Not Right Fit for Tigers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 79
| visibility 1

Nov 28, 2008, 11:34 AM

Dabo Swinney is a rising star in the coaching ranks, and will one day be a very good head coach for somebody. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FINALLY SOME GETS IT!! BOB STOOPS TO CLEMSON...

Nov 28, 2008, 11:39 AM

;)
JUST KIDDING.

GREAT ARTICLE MR. HOOD!!

THIS MESSAGE BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE NODABO ’09 CAMPAIGN
CHAIRMAN: KNIGHTIGER
VICE-CHAIRMAN: SOUTHERNFRIEDTIGER

... why post this "article" the day before the rivalry game?

Nov 28, 2008, 11:40 AM

Crump? Bmiest? Please say this a ploy to inspire our boys to play harder because if not Im severely disappointed in Tigernet for sponsoring this.

Opinion pieces are great, but this???? before Carolina??? are you serious?????

If an OPINION article has so much magnitude, that it changes

Nov 28, 2008, 11:46 AM

the way we play or the outcome, then we're in big trouble. Lighten up man.

ALL OF US want to beat the crap out of uSuCk. That's a given...

He brought it up today because of the people who believe that tomorrow could decide Swinney's fate....

I personally don't think it will.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

It will have no bearing on the game. A 'hire" Dabo article

Nov 28, 2008, 12:03 PM

wouldve been just as ridiculous.

I was hoping we could at least have the illusion of total support.

To sponsor this sort of article the day before arguably the biggest game of the season????

Im glad Im not a donor of this site and now I know I never will be.

With friends like this who needs enemies

why do you think they "sponsor" it???

Nov 28, 2008, 12:07 PM

I don't think they "sponsor" or "promote" everything that is posted. It was a BLOG they posted.

Crump may not always agree with Mickey...but he doesn't stop running his blog.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

...its on their site, therefore they are (by default)

Nov 28, 2008, 12:16 PM

endorsing it.

I dont disagree with the opinion. Agreeing or disagreeing has nothing to do with it. Its the timing.

Posting this kind of opinion on a Clemson ran site, for Clemson fans the day before our rivalry game???? Like I said a "Hire Dabo now!!!" article wouldve been just as ridiculous.

Right now the contributors for this board should be breaking down the Carolina D, predictions of the game or dare I say pump sunshine in our butts.....what they shouldnt be doing is pushing their own personal agendas that undermine our current coaching staff.

Like it or not Coach Dabo Swinney will be leading our boys onto the field tomorrow.

This is just irresponsible ... but I guess I shouldnt be surprised. THis whole coaching staff has brought out the worst in this fan base. I'll be happy when it is over.

staff=search***

Nov 28, 2008, 1:21 PM

Re: It will have no bearing on the game. A 'hire" Dabo article

Nov 28, 2008, 12:09 PM [ in reply to It will have no bearing on the game. A 'hire" Dabo article ]

Don't let the door hit you in the .

your originality is amazing.***

Nov 28, 2008, 12:17 PM

I completely agree with you

Nov 28, 2008, 11:46 AM [ in reply to ... why post this "article" the day before the rivalry game? ]

It's not a bad opinion piece, but save it for Sunday - why post this today?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what effect does this article have on the game?

Nov 28, 2008, 11:50 AM

Does it have any effect at all. Do you want all media outlets...newspapers, tv, etc.. to not talk about the search b/c we are playing USC this week?

This opinion has absolutely no bearing on tomorrow's game. I'm not gonna cheer differently b/c I read it.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: ... why post this "article" the day before the rivalry game?

Nov 28, 2008, 12:06 PM [ in reply to ... why post this "article" the day before the rivalry game? ]

Amen

word.point.***

Nov 28, 2008, 12:17 PM [ in reply to ... why post this "article" the day before the rivalry game? ]

I can't believe someone who DOESN'T sponsor Crump

Nov 28, 2008, 5:16 PM [ in reply to ... why post this "article" the day before the rivalry game? ]

or Bmeist with their money would have the FREAKING NERVE to talk to them about content on THEIR SITE??????

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BEAT USC

Nov 28, 2008, 11:40 AM

And talk about this stuff later.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Commentary: Dabo Not Right Fit for Tigers

Nov 28, 2008, 11:46 AM

And the answer is - I have no clue...... You could have stopped right there

Hood is SPOT ON with this....

Nov 28, 2008, 11:47 AM

I like Dabo and think he has done a good job... but if he were to be hired, it would get real ugly the first time he lost to someone he shouldn't next year.

I think TDP is going to try and quickly hire someone from outside the program that will energize the fanbase

logic? is that you?

Nov 28, 2008, 11:51 AM

The sad things about this is he may be right.....

Nov 28, 2008, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Hood is SPOT ON with this.... ]

So it's not a good idea to hire Dabo, even if he will be the right man for the job in a year or two. It's better to go with someone else that will probably take a year or two to get settled in. The reason.....the fans?!?!?!

So we will make a coaching decision based on the fans? And not a firing decision which can be justified by lack of support in attendance, giving (basically money), but a hiring decision?

If this is the case, then TDP never should have interviewed Kiffin, given his dad and Danny. Never should consider Leach, cause I think Mormons are crazy! Don't consider anyone other than Saban or Stoops because I might not by tickets next year without them!!! (check your meter on that one)

I trust TDP to make the right decision on this hire, but please don't tell me he'll make the hire based on what message boards might be saying after three games next year. If you do that TDP, you have lost my confidence!!!

Re: Hood is SPOT ON with this....

Nov 28, 2008, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Hood is SPOT ON with this.... ]

I like Dabo and think he has done a good job... but if he were to be hired, it would get real ugly the first time he lost to someone he shouldn't next year.

are you kidding me? we are Clemson University...it's going to get ugly the first time we lose to someone we shouldn't no matter WHO is the coach...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you are kidding yourself if you think that....

Nov 28, 2008, 12:12 PM

If we lose to someone we shouldn't early under Dabo... the outcry will be FAR greater than if we lose to someone earlier under a "new hire from outside"...

I'm not saying it is justified... just that it is likely to happen. The fanbase is split more on the Dabo issue than they would be on a new hire.

And the reason for that is?

Nov 28, 2008, 6:05 PM

Because those that support Dabo are generally more positive about any move that Clemson makes? That's basically what you are saying... the Dabo supporters would be more ok with hiring someone else than the non-Dabo supporters would be with hiring him.

Interesting point. The only thing I'm not sure about is how opinions would turn when we lose additional recruits/players if Dabo is not hired.

With friends like this, who needs enemies?***

Nov 28, 2008, 11:53 AM

Hood, you hit it right on the head.......

Nov 28, 2008, 11:56 AM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A Seering Comment on the Fanbase

Nov 28, 2008, 11:57 AM

My conclusion after reading this is that it's not so much a commentary on Dabo but on the fanbase. And it's not an inaccuarte one. My feeling is that a thin majority of Clemson people would be happy with an average of 3 losses per year, a middlin' bowl game, and maybe once every 5 years a conference championship. But there are those of us out there who feel that's selling Clemson University short. There are those of us who believe this program can return to the elite of college football and be a national player almost every year. We just need the right guy that can direct us in that direction. Is Dabo that guy? My intellect tells me no, my heart says "I'd love it if he WERE that guy". But to me, that's a huge gamble. My loyalty to Clemson will never fade no matter who the head coach is. We've not had the exact right hire since Ford left. I hope we're gonna get one this time.

You are right...

Nov 28, 2008, 12:01 PM

A loss to someone we shouldn't lose to would be magnified if Swinney were HC... as opposed to someone outside the program who fans want to "give more time"...

justified or not... that is the truth

the reason is everyone will basically be seeing the same

Nov 28, 2008, 12:06 PM

system being run as Tommy with only slight differences. So basically they won't be seeing much difference b/w him and Tommy except that he's more personalible.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why do you think his system would be the same as Tommy's?

Nov 28, 2008, 12:39 PM

Just becuase you were someone's subordinate does not mean you would make the same decisions/do things the same way as your superior if you were put in charge. If you would, you are likely not qualified to lead.

Re: why do you think his system would be the same as Tommy's?

Nov 30, 2008, 8:23 PM

I agree. I also think that a good developing head coach can identify those things that he sees as successful and positive in a head coach and just as important, what he sees as misguided, stubbornness, and outright negatives. He develops his own formula for success and modifies the plan based on successes, player strengths and abilities, and assistant coach input. The key to long term success is to realize that you may not always have all the answers and must be willing to change, develop new football concepts/plays, and trust your football instincts. TB and Rob S never realized that a bubble screen and two 5 yard pass plays does not create a pass offense to balance a great running game. I think Dabo gets it!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

totally agree and I'd go even further

Nov 28, 2008, 11:59 AM

and state if Dabo is hired, since he is such a wildcard and still will basically be running the same offensive system, he should be hired HC as maybe a 2 year deal instead of anything further. If we hire Dabo, I don't think we can afford to let keep him long term if he doesn't perform.

If we hire any other coach, you kind of have to give them time since its a whole new system.

Message was edited by: xtiger®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: totally agree and I'd go even further

Nov 28, 2008, 12:03 PM

2 year deal would hurt recruiting though.

a good coach is more important

Nov 28, 2008, 12:04 PM

we see where good recruiting got us without good coaching.

Yes it would...

Nov 28, 2008, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Re: totally agree and I'd go even further ]

recruits have seen the mess that has went down this year.

Recruiting will suffer if we do an experiment hire of 2 years with Dabo. Players want to be under the same coach for the time they are in the program.... they don't want a guessing game with the coaching situation.

Exactly!!!***

Nov 28, 2008, 12:01 PM

Nov 28, 2008, 12:10 PM

I certainly would not like to say in a few years that "I sure wish we had hired Dabo" after he has become a great coach somewhere else and becomes a highly respected coach which everyone keeps saying he will be. We just are an impatient people and want it now ! How many people look back and see how impatience has cost them dearly.
It is not like we have never made a mistake before in selecting our coach. If fact, the only good decision Clemson has made on a coach has been one that nobody knew.
Well, one guy knew him well and reccommended him..... None other than Bear Bryant.
Now, one of Bear's favorite son's is recommending Dabo and we won't listen..... we want a name.... one like the coach so hot Alabama hired him and then lost him to
Texas A&M. I wonder where he is today?
I think the gut feeling is there for Dabo and I hate to think we are going to pass on him for a name that will be added to the others since Danny Ford.
Don't think you won't hear some "I told you so" on Dabo.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bingo!****

Nov 28, 2008, 12:12 PM

Nov 28, 2008, 12:13 PM

Finally!You hit it right on the head.I wish more Clemson fans thought like this.

wow, what great timing you have

Nov 28, 2008, 12:18 PM

what a nice article, one day before the biggest game of the year...way to go!!!!

Being afraid to make the "right" hire because of fan

Nov 28, 2008, 12:18 PM

reaction is asinine.

TDP is being paid to make these decisions because he knows more than the average fan. Why should he let them dictate who he hires when they don't have 1% of the information he has about potential candidates?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that doesn't matter at all

Nov 28, 2008, 12:21 PM

whether you like it or not its all about the benjamins and a divided fan base is not good for Clemson........

So do you think TDP would hire rob Spence if he thought rob were the best candidate?

hell no cause the fans would go ape ####...

If the next coach wins, it won't matter what his name is

Nov 28, 2008, 12:27 PM

You're always going to have a fringe element, but even Hatfield didn't lost the majority of the fanbase until a 5-6 season. People had concerns following 1991, but he'd probably still be here if he was dropping 2 or less games per year (in a league which would have included FSU).

at least you are making a valid argument... and not saying

Nov 28, 2008, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Being afraid to make the "right" hire because of fan ]

"Oh no... the day before the USC game.. how can you post this!!"

David Hood is a #########

Nov 28, 2008, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Being afraid to make the "right" hire because of fan ]

what a ###### article to write the day before the game. Write that article the day AFTER the game.

Crump, please cancel my donation, I don't want $.01 of my dollar going to that garbage.

Screw Oil, burn Lungers

Re: David Hood is a #########

Nov 28, 2008, 1:56 PM

If you'll look carefully, you'll see the word 'commentary' in the headline.

Guys, come on, it's one man's opinion.

I don't know this writer, nor do I necessarily agree with all the points he's trying to make, but lawd.

Yeah, it's HIS opinion

Nov 29, 2008, 8:31 AM

and if you're-read the lucid responses that take issue, it's THE TIMING of posting his opinion that folks are pissed about.

Now, he's hearing others opinions. We think he screwed up and shows crappy judgement on his timing and are letting him know it.

If David Hood can't stand the heat he's generated, maybe he'll learn something. If Brian or Crump approved posting the article at this time, same for them. Their consumers are speaking. Will they listen?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. I'm glad TDP won't cave to the vocal minority.***

Nov 28, 2008, 10:33 PM [ in reply to Being afraid to make the "right" hire because of fan ]

You are

Nov 28, 2008, 12:19 PM

a TOTAL JERK for posting this the day before the game and slapping Dabo in the face. Too bad you did not read Larry Williams article. You are no where as classy as LW is and will never be.

you can't be serious...***

Nov 28, 2008, 12:20 PM

Re: you can't be serious...***

Nov 28, 2008, 12:22 PM

unfortunately she is... serious and 12 from the looks of it

HAHAHA. Please explain why he's a jerk?***

Nov 28, 2008, 12:27 PM [ in reply to You are ]

I dont know if he is a Jerk, but certainly has no concept

Nov 28, 2008, 1:11 PM [ in reply to You are ]

of "timing"....couldnt an opinion piece undermining Dabo wait till 3:30 tomorrow??? 5 pm at the latest????

The contents of the opinion piece arent the question, its purely the timing

lmao!***

Nov 29, 2008, 6:58 AM [ in reply to You are ]

Go Tigers...Ignore David Hood....he is a rookie***

Nov 28, 2008, 1:38 PM

Props to Hood..gutsy article considering the audience.***

Nov 28, 2008, 1:28 PM

David, this may be the stupidest argument I've ever seen.

Nov 28, 2008, 1:57 PM

We shouldn't hire Dabo because we have a bunch of idiots as fans.

I'm speechless.

It's "Up the proverbial tributary without

Nov 28, 2008, 3:51 PM

the customary means of locomotion"

Rather patronizing isn't it. Let's save Dabo from himself.

Nov 28, 2008, 5:39 PM

Is that what you are suggesting?

Mr. Hood

Nov 28, 2008, 6:08 PM

"If he remains, and does struggle, attendance might lag, and the message boards will be lit up with a radioactive heat as fans try and figure out how they can get Cowher or whoever is their new choice"

Mr. Hood, you can put any name that is in our list of possible head coaches and could say the exact same thing. This is an example of a bad excuse of why Dabo shouldn't be the next head coach. Whoever the coach is next year, if he struggles, attendance would lag...........

Freakin AWFUL timing. Great.***

Nov 28, 2008, 7:38 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Nov 28, 2008, 9:25 PM

I don't know who David Hood is, but he certainly doesn't speak for me! Big Tiger fan? Predicts a loss and bad mouths DS. My old man was a "doom and gloom" guy too. Never happy or positive about CU football. Dabo has made me feel better about the football program than I have in a long time!

All In!

TC

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

David-believe you seriously P O'd some people

Nov 28, 2008, 10:54 PM

You're in a position to make commentary but in doing so you must also make a judgement as to when it is appropriate. Looks like you blew it on this one. I can't say I disagree with your stance one bit but this is when we should be focused upon our mortal enemy the USuC #####. Lead article on a high profile Clemson site decrying our coaching woes by restating the obvious is inappropriate for such a time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo has already been hired, fwiw....pointless article***

Nov 28, 2008, 11:27 PM

Mr David Hood....

Nov 29, 2008, 12:13 AM

Letting go of the Tommy Bowden Era started when Dabo fired Rob Spence. I'm in favor of Brad Scott getting the boot as well, however, cleaning house in the middle of the season was just not an option.
Let's say he gets the HC position...I don't see BS being at Clemson next season.

Bottom line...Your commentary was very premature especially the day before the BIG GAME. I personally feel embarrassed for anyone to read that on the main page about our current HC.

I agree, add David Hood's embarrassing commentary down there

Nov 29, 2008, 7:45 PM

with Walt Dipula's ESPN played after CTB's firing. Can't we in Tigertown get some good people in these positions? Thanks goodness for Will Merritt and the boys.

thank you for telling the truth!!!***

Nov 29, 2008, 12:50 AM

Very Weak

Nov 29, 2008, 8:44 AM

This argument is as weak as the flipside, which many are making (paraphrased) "if we don't hire Dabo, and he goes on to win someone else, we will be a laughingstock"

The simple reality is that TDP has a job to do. His job is to hire the coach who gives us the best chance to win while doing so with integrity while fitting into Clemson. That is all he needs to focus on.

Articles like yours are useless.

null

You sound like Obama on abortion, "Not my pay grade.! If

Nov 29, 2008, 8:58 AM

you're not taking a side, then guit using up so much space. I, personally, don't think there should be sides. All of us should want whatever is best for Clemson to happen. I think that is what TDP has in his head. The rest of the people need to get on board before this train wrecks! I like Dabo,, but I'm not second guessing who our new head coach will be. I hope our Tigers go out and kick a$$ today and let the dust settle where it may!

'Nuff said!

so Stoops isn't coming to Clemson?***

Nov 29, 2008, 10:50 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Nov 29, 2008, 11:50 AM

Please excuse my ignorance, but who is David Hood?

Crump not right fit for commentator either.

Nov 29, 2008, 2:30 PM

Dr. Lou is better than this.

TIME TO EAT CROW!!! Mr. Hood!***

Nov 29, 2008, 4:17 PM

WRONG ON GAME PICK, WRONG ON COMMENTARY.***

Nov 29, 2008, 5:25 PM

Nov 29, 2008, 5:51 PM

Who cares if he hasn't been a coordinator, all that is an extra few years of experience, obviously he can coach , he turned this season around and since we are now going to a bowl game. But all you want to do is waste money on a "big name", money the university cant afford since they are cutting jobs and puting people on mandatory unpaid work weeks...so yes lets waste milliions to get a coach who doesnt have any beeter chance to even get us to the ACC or BCS game...yeah good call...

Nov 30, 2008, 12:13 PM

I would suggest that your conclusion to many good points could well go the opposite way in Dabo's first year. It could well become the reality check Clemson fans needed to realize it's not the just head coach that is/was the problem. Maybe Dabo survies what you outline as a huge challenge because Clemson fans become more realistic. That's not to takeaway hopeful but to compliment it with realistic. We want to be competative in every outing and should be with a healthty team but we must take a hardlook at what being a sustainable top 20 team means for a University of Clemson's size and graduate base located in South Carolina. Maybe Dabo brings that and your unfortunate possibilities for Dabo do not materialize and your counter is that is true for anyone that gets the postion except one with whom great expectations come. I say Dabo may have an easier chance that a big name coach. What ever the guy in the hotseat will be the offensive coordinator IMO.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

CUTIGERTIM. very good post!***

Nov 30, 2008, 1:42 PM

Nov 30, 2008, 4:53 PM

It would make no sense for Terry Don to fire or let Tommy Bowden quit just to turn around and hire Dabo. This is practically the same staff. Why pay such high buyout just to keep the same staff. With that said, I feel that allowing Tommy to quit or firing Tommy in the middle of the season was a big mistake. This team might be playing for the ACC title had they not had to deal with the turmoil and uncertainty that goes along with a head coaching change. Therefore, it just may be true that the only way to mitigate the mid season disaster of letting Tommy go would be to keep Dabo. This would at least restore some confidence and reduce the level of uncertainty that seems to be lingering. The only way I see that not hiring Dabo would be a good move is if we replace him with someone extraordinary. I don't mean some could be great assistant somewhere or some just simply good coach at a second tier school. I mean someone who has a proven record of success. If Clemson doesn't keep Dabo and then doesn't go after and get the best coach that college football has to offer, then Terry Don should be fired. Oh and by the way, Les Miles is NOT proven. Butch Davis IS though.

Think you made one to many phone calls back @ BSA***

Dec 1, 2008, 9:36 AM

http://americayouaskedforit.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/draft-herman-cain-for-president-2012-1024x293.jpg%253Fw%253D300

Dec 1, 2008, 9:45 AM

I think the biggest problem with this article is how right you are about the fact that the fans will not give him time. It is ridiculous to think that a "proven" big hire should be allowed time to right a the ship but someone that is promoted internally, but was not in charge before, does not receive the same treatment. I think Dabo will do well next season, as I read this article after it as announced he would be the new HC, but if he doesn't make it to the ACC championship game next year then that will be very much ok under the circumstances. I am glad TDP hired him because if we didn't we would loose to him in the future.

Dec 2, 2008, 10:06 PM

i THINK DABO HAS DONE A GREAT JOB AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO. HE IS YOUNG WITH A LOT OF GREAT IDEAS AND EAGERNESS TO DO A GREAT JOB! WHO WANTS A WASHED UP LEGEND. THE GAMECOCKS GOT ONE AND HE HASN'T DONE ANYTHING GREAT FOR THEM.

Replies: 79
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic