Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo's new contract makes him the target of all new articles
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,835

Dabo's new contract makes him the target of all new articles

May 30, 2019, 2:31 PM

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/article230976948.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These kinds of articles always play the "look how much

May 30, 2019, 6:07 PM

money someone else is making" card. Why don't these articles ever breakdown just how much these football scholarship amateur athletes are being compensated for their "talents". Lets take a look at the Clemson case:

In state cost of attending Clemson for one year (tuition, room, board, books etc..): $33,006
Out of state cost of attending Clemson for one year (tuition, room, board, books etc...): $54,760

University provided health insurance per year: $3,000

University provided academic tutor services: $15 per hour (estimate 4 tutor hours per week for 8 months = $2,160 per year)

Premium facility use (i.e. Football team gym, spa etc...): $300 per year

Scholarship athlete stipend: $4,000 per year

So...

Compensation for in state scholarship athlete per year: $42,466
Compensation for out of state scholarship athlete per year: $64,220

These numbers are just for the things I could think of off the top of my head that these athletes are provided for free. I imagine there are quite a number of other things provided for free to our scholarship athletes that would cost the average student a chunk of change... Additionally, if one were to look at some other Universities these compensation numbers more than double...

So from day one of their college experience, the "in state" scholarship amateur athlete is in fact making a little under the national average annual salary of a grad right out of college ($48,000). "Out of state" scholarship athletes are near the top of the pay scale of the national average for recent college grads (right up there with software developers and engineers...). In my opinion these athletes are fairly compensated for their amateur football talents by way of a debt free education that will follow them the rest of their lives - well after their football days are over.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you underestimated the value of the premium workout

May 30, 2019, 6:50 PM

facilities! I pay more than that to go to Gold's Gym twice a week!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think you underestimated the value of the premium workout

May 30, 2019, 7:36 PM

I think he's underestimating how much money schools and the NCAA is making off off athletes.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: These kinds of articles always play the "look how much

May 30, 2019, 7:38 PM [ in reply to These kinds of articles always play the "look how much ]

What about all the food they consume?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2019, 10:22 PM [ in reply to These kinds of articles always play the "look how much ]

My reply has nothing to do with athletic scholarships, or coach's salaries, or benefits and perks of any kind, but when I enrolled in Clemson, College of Architecture, in August of 1973, I wrote a check to the Bursar's office for a little less than $1,100.00 for room, board and tuition. And I was an "out of state" student (Binghamton, NY) paying TWICE the cost of an "in state" student enrolling at the same time. Times have certainly changed, but I got the best education the United States of America had to offer. And I am an Architect today and have been ever since, and that's all I have to say about that....

Go Tigers!!!

May 31, 2019, 2:39 AM [ in reply to These kinds of articles always play the "look how much ]

Clothing, stipend, laptops and iPads-all educational supplies-travel for families to the games (Dabo mentioned this in an interview), all healthcare including orthodontia if needed. That’s only what I’ve gleaned from casual reading.

Christian Wilkins saved more than $15K from his stipend/housing allowance in his 4 years at Clemson.

That's $110,000 per scholarship player per year in salary.

May 30, 2019, 8:14 PM

I bet these kids parents believe that's worth every penny looking after their boy. And how does that not factor in to the benefits these kids are getting in our program and many others like it? On top of the scholarship, room, and board?

It can run $40,000 / month for combine training and specialty pro workouts. Our set up and staff likely deliver similar to what's involved there and then some. And you can say the same for most FBS programs.

If anyone can handle the spotlight of Dabo's position right now in terms of pay, it's Dabo.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's $110,000 per scholarship player per year in salary.

May 30, 2019, 9:57 PM

I'll add, the players also get the benefit of great coordinators and position coaches, top notch nutrition plan, etc. The players get far more compensation than " just " cost of attendance.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,835
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic