Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo was dead wrong about Ohio State.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Dabo was dead wrong about Ohio State.

Dec 23, 2020, 9:08 AM

Playing half a schedule should not be held against them. Younger guys may be unaware, but it's not a unique situation. I remember that time in the 60s when Jack missed the first 2 rounds of the Masters, but was given a pass into Sat & Sun, and he almost won. Petty once had car problems at the Daytona 500 and they let him join the field after 250 miles... even put him up front on the first row. It made perfect sense, given his reputation and past performance there. And I cannot recall the details right off hand, but wasn't there a MLB team a while back that had a beef with their owner and refused to play? They got everything ironed out and started right after the All Star break. Only played half a season, but the Commissioner awarded them the division title and they had home field for the playoffs...

Dabo needs to chill, and maybe do a little research into sports history before spouting off.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: Dabo was dead wrong about Ohio State.

Dec 23, 2020, 9:09 AM

Playing half a schedule should not be held against them. Younger guys may be unaware, but it's not a unique situation. I remember that time in the 60s when Jack missed the first 2 rounds of the Masters, but was given a pass into Sat & Sun, and he almost won. Petty once had car problems at the Daytona 500 and they let him join the field after 250 miles... even put him up front on the first row. It made perfect sense, given his reputation and past performance there. And I cannot recall the details right off hand, but wasn't there a MLB team a while back that had a beef with their owner and refused to play? They got everything ironed out and started right after the All Star break. Only played half a season, but the Commissioner awarded them the division title and they had home field for the playoffs...

Dabo needs to chill, and maybe do a little research into sports history before spouting off.

EXCELLENT

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2020, 9:14 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't recall any of that

Dec 23, 2020, 9:18 AM

but I am old.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Google is your friend, it's only a search away.***

Dec 23, 2020, 10:19 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2020, 9:19 AM

What about the marathon runner allowed to start half way to the finish?

Dec 23, 2020, 9:21 AM

Talk about spouting off !!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great narrative . . you hit the nail on the head!***

Dec 23, 2020, 9:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo was dead wrong about Ohio State. ]

she died.

Dec 23, 2020, 10:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo was dead wrong about Ohio State. ]

https://nypost.com/2019/08/08/rosie-ruiz-famed-boston-marathon-cheater-dead-at-66/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Let's NOT forget UNC - They let their athletes

Dec 23, 2020, 9:23 AM

skip all the required classes and just start right where you get your degree.

null

Re: Let's NOT forget UNC - They let their athletes

Dec 23, 2020, 9:36 AM

Like North Carolina's basketball players!

Umm, yeah, exactly.***

Dec 23, 2020, 10:31 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2020, 9:23 AM

True, but those things all irritated me at the time as well.

Me too, man. Not saying it's right, but there is precedent.***

Dec 23, 2020, 9:30 AM

You just said it yourself.....precedent does not make it right.

Dec 23, 2020, 9:56 AM

Coach Dabo can say whatever he thinks about this situation....he actually has a dog in the fight.

Me, I think beating Ohio's State will make for a great New Years!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True, but he should at least make an informed comment and

Dec 23, 2020, 10:21 AM

not look so silly. That's not too much to ask, is it?

Dabo's comments were well informed and correct - just

Dec 23, 2020, 12:04 PM

because people do stupid things does not make it right or correct.

He needs not mention or footnote the stupidity of choices made by others

null

Re: Me too, man. Not saying it's right, but there is precedent.***

Dec 23, 2020, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Me too, man. Not saying it's right, but there is precedent.*** ]

LOL. This thread is great! Classic T-net.

Well, in the case of NCAA football, this has never happened.

Dec 23, 2020, 9:33 AM

The biggest difference in your example is that the Masters is for professional golfers, not amateur college athletes. Every golf tournament is independent from the one the previous weekend or the next weekend. In the case of the current NCAA football situation it is extremely different than your golf example. Two teams playing in a playoff where one has played 11 games and the other has played 7 games. Not only is the number of games different, the Big 10, not surprisingly, modified their conference rules for positive testing by cutting the delay to play again from a positive test from 21 days to some lesser number, I assume 10 days.

Dabo is 100% correct. Unfortunately, Ohio St. is the only team in the CFP and the remaining bowl games that is playing with only a 7 game season that includes the conference title game. Ohio State only played 2 teams with a winning record, Indiana and Northwestern. Not exactly the "who's who" of college football.

Having said all of that, Clemson will hand Ohio State a beating similar to the 2016 CFP game. Ohio State's defense is a shadow of last year's team, and Fields has struggled all season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well, in the case of NCAA football, this has never happened.

Dec 23, 2020, 10:45 AM

The biggest difference in your example is that the Masters is for professional golfers, not amateur college athletes. Every golf tournament is independent from the one the previous weekend or the next weekend. In the case of the current NCAA football situation it is extremely different than your golf example. Two teams playing in a playoff where one has played 11 games and the other has played 7 games. Not only is the number of games different, the Big 10, not surprisingly, modified their conference rules for positive testing by cutting the delay to play again from a positive test from 21 days to some lesser number, I assume 10 days.

Dabo is 100% correct. Unfortunately, Ohio St. is the only team in the CFP and the remaining bowl games that is playing with only a 7 game season that includes the conference title game. Ohio State only played 2 teams with a winning record, Indiana and Northwestern. Not exactly the "who's who" of college football.

Having said all of that, Clemson will hand Ohio State a beating similar to the 2016 CFP game. Ohio State's defense is a shadow of last year's team, and Fields has struggled all season.

Just for the record OcryO State played a total of 6 games not 7. The changed their rules to let them play in conference championship with only 5 games played. B10 has lost all credibility

Dec 23, 2020, 9:36 AM

Dabo has never been wrong about 31-0. Called them out before and was spot on.

Collegiate sports =/= professional sports. Next, NASCAR (and Petty) is and has always been about the sponsor $$$$. Petty's spot was just about product placement as anything, even back then the France(s) were astute about that - they are just a lot more money grubbing today.

Can't argue that. The Masters needed Jack for ratings too.***

Dec 23, 2020, 10:24 AM

Dec 23, 2020, 9:39 AM

I wish I could skip potty training my kids and go straight to them wiping their own #####

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am 82 year old and spent 46 years

Dec 23, 2020, 9:44 AM

in broadcasting, much of in sports reporting and I can't recall any of that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The sar-chasm is great indeed this fine morning........

Dec 23, 2020, 9:46 AM

:)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love the smell of downvotes in the morning... it smells like.....

Dec 23, 2020, 9:54 AM

victory.

Let their Naivety flow... I heard the "WHOOSH!" from here.***

Dec 23, 2020, 10:25 AM

FELT it, too ! ! ! Refreshing !***

Dec 23, 2020, 10:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

C'mon, Guys (and Gals). I can't believe any of you fell for

Dec 23, 2020, 9:59 AM

this finely trolled chum in the water. The Moo has almost filled his boat with people flopping around on the deck because their sarcasm detection meter was obviously off line or just plain broken, and they swallowed the hook. :(

Can I borrow your

Dec 23, 2020, 10:09 AM

Time machine? How can you possibly know that he is wrong or right until we play the game? All you have here is a subjective opinion shaped by some previous experiences that have little to no applicability in the current era. Yet you throw it out there like some quantitative fact.

Let's reserve judgment until it can be based in data. Tigernet.com is #2 but doesn't act like a major media outlet. We don't believe things just because people say so...

Message was edited by: TeachingTiger13® for Bengaline

Wrong...Tnet is #2 in the whole USA!***

Dec 23, 2020, 10:26 AM

Edited as requested.

Dec 23, 2020, 11:03 AM

;)

You failed to mention New England being allowed to miss the entire first half

Dec 23, 2020, 10:18 AM

before letting Tom Brady and the starters play once the score was 28-3. Atlanta has it in the bag before commissioner made his decision lol ??

Dec 23, 2020, 10:53 AM

IKR, I am surprised they let jack play, being that all the other golfers were probably nursing knee, shoulder, and ankle injuries, yet he came in fresh. Same goes goes for race car drivers, the toll that sport puts on their body can linger for months.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2020, 11:25 AM

Can you confirm which year Jack did that at the Masters ...... I've gone through all 60s tournaments and can't find any evidence of him missing the first 2 Rounds. Thanks.

Dec 23, 2020, 11:32 AM

Although I did note that this year he was allowed to hit his drive on the 1st tee, and just pick up, presumably putting a 1 for his round's total ....... I'm surprised he withdrew from the tournament at that point, given that he was 71 under par at the time.

No, Dabo doesn’t need to “chill.”

Dec 23, 2020, 11:43 AM

He’s not worked up about it. He’s not overreacting. He simply stated that he doesn’t think Ohio State’s season compares to teams that have played almost twice as many games. And he’s right.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

LOL. OK.***

Dec 23, 2020, 11:57 AM

All right, normally I'd just let this hang out here until enough

Dec 23, 2020, 12:04 PM

people "got it". But I'm walking out the door and will be gone for a few days. The whole point of this sarcastic post was to show what a huge break OSU was getting. Of course none of those other things happened. That's ridiculous. No team or individual that I can ever remember has been granted a freebie spot to play for a championship, having not participated in the entire event and earned it. So of course Dabo was right. Get it? Jeez, I'm almost embarrassed that I had to explain it...

Merry Christmas everybody, and Go Tigers.

Dec 23, 2020, 12:25 PM

100% on Dabos side on this. His is dog is in the fight and has been in the fight. Ohio state is still in the dang kennel.

Dec 23, 2020, 12:47 PM

All three of those situations are total BS, but two of them are individual sports, And that’s assuming race car driving is a sport, and all three are professional! This is college football!

And all of those were wrong!

Four wrongs don’t make a right!

And to be honest only one of those is even remotely similar to this years situation, but playing 31 baseball games is still a heck of a lot more than six football games. It’s a better sample of the team and their performance.

And get off Dabo’s ###! Reality is everyone except Ohio State fans agree with Dabo and Kelly. Dabo is not the only one that’s been saying it remember?

I think it’s hilarious that he keeps making the comments about Ohio State, ranking them 11th, saying it’s only gonna take half as much time to prepare for them, it’s fun! Coaches never say things like that. It shows you how much confidence Dabo has and how he is firing up our team by saying we’re gonna kick these losers ### and then we’re going to go play Alabama! I love that it’s pissing off Ohio State people and the media!

Dec 23, 2020, 3:11 PM

You must be on the political left ... fact-checking someone's opinion. Good grief!

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic