Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo on Playoffs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Dabo on Playoffs

Dec 12, 2020, 10:28 AM

I think that this is perhaps the first time I am not agreeing with Dabo.

If we lose twice to ND, we should not be in the playoffs. If you cannot beat ND (or any playoff bound team), which is considered the weakest team compared to Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State, in two tries you don't deserve a birth in the playoffs. Give another team a chance to show what they can do.

We better be focused on beating ND and not worry about what happens if we lose to ND a second time. I am surprised that these statements (a two loss Clemson should be in the playoffs) are coming from Dabo who is usually just focused on the NEXT game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo on Playoffs

Dec 12, 2020, 10:36 AM

In what world would a man paid millions of dollars a year to lead a team make a public statement saying his team isn’t good enough to do anything. While you may disagree with his “public statement” He’s the friggin head coach. Did you really expect him to say anything different?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2020, 11:04 AM

I expected him to avoid the question and simply say that we are focused on the next game.

I'm sure Dabo would agree with you in a one-to-one

Dec 12, 2020, 10:36 AM

but he's making the case for his team when we're in a league that changes the rules to fit the agenda. Plus, controversy generates $$$. If a 2 loss CLemson was int he playoffs, the web and media would blow up with drama, drama, drama = $$$$$

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: I'm sure Dabo would agree with you in a one-to-one

Dec 12, 2020, 10:40 AM

If we were too lose but I don't believe we will,
wouldn't we go to the Orange Bowl?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2020, 11:17 AM

I agree with you; I don't believe we will.

Dec 12, 2020, 11:19 AM [ in reply to I'm sure Dabo would agree with you in a one-to-one ]

There would certainly be drama - that's for sure!

Dec 12, 2020, 10:40 AM

I doubt Dabo or the team is sitting around mad just thinking about losing to notre dame and not making the playoffs. He was simply saying he feels both us are two of the four best teams no matter what happens...he's probably right but I agree you can't put a 2 loss team in that lost to the same team twice.

A two loss Clemson that lost to ND 2x > tOSU team that has

Dec 12, 2020, 10:57 AM

played 6 games and only beaten two teams with winning records.

There is a lot of risk to playing a full schedule, especially this season. Very, very difficult with COVID-19 to play a full season.

Teams that do complete a full season should be rewarded over teams that do not, especially this season.

Dabo is spot on.

I would put a one loss Miami, Texas A&M, or Florida in over tOSU. I would also put a two loss Clemson in over them too (there might be other two loss teams that have better wins than tOSU and played a full season).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Re: A two loss Clemson that lost to ND 2x > tOSU team that has

Dec 12, 2020, 11:10 AM

Putting Ohio State in the playoffs is another discussion; there IS a strong argument that they should be in the playoffs. The discussion is not about Tigers making the playoffs over Ohio State with two losses to ND. It's about should we make the playoffs.

Re: A two loss Clemson that lost to ND 2x > tOSU team that has

Dec 12, 2020, 11:15 AM

I meant to write that there is a strong argument that Ohio State is NOT in the playoffs.

Dabo is just planting the seed. Sooner or later, there

Dec 12, 2020, 11:05 AM

will be a year where circumstances align to make a two loss team look good enough to the Committee to allow them into the Playoffs. Dabo is trying to cover the bases so that we are that team, should we lose to the team now rated #2 in the land, again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo is just planting the seed. Sooner or later, there

Dec 12, 2020, 11:13 AM

I think losing twice to the number two team in a season, or even losing to the number one team in a season, gets you out of the playoffs. Why should the Committee not give another team a chance to see what it can do. Let's say the Tigers had beaten ND the first time and were still No. 1. Then they beat ND a second time, again as the No. 1 team. Do you think ND will have any case of being in the playoffs?

I actually do, the two losses in that instance are less than

Dec 12, 2020, 12:11 PM

important than "is this one of the four best teams?"

Both Clemson and ND are two of the four best teams in the country this year.

ND is a really good team this year, make no mistake.

They have been knocking on the door of Clemson, Alabama, tOSU for sometime now (very good record past 3-4 seasons), very close, but not quite.

They could be the best team in the country this year. I do think that ND and Clemson are the two best teams that I have watched compete and I believe the combined W/L records of their opponents is better than Alabama's, Florida's, or A&M's. And waaaayyyyy better tOSU's

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Re: I actually do, the two losses in that instance are less than

Dec 12, 2020, 12:21 PM

That may be so, but do you think that a team should be given three chances to beat a team. Let's say that ND beats us next week and we are both in the playoffs. Let's say in the playoffs we beat ND. What does that prove - we still have a 1-2 record against them. In my opinion, the only way one can justify a two-loss Clemson team in the playoffs is if you throw away the first loss because TL and other key players did not play. But, it will be hard to throw away that loss if ND again beats us - this time WITH TL and the other defensive players.

I can't believe I am arguing so hard that Clemson does not belong in the playoffs with two losses.

:)

I guess, for me, it comes down to what I have seen thus far

Dec 12, 2020, 12:38 PM

and what can be backed up by statistical evidence.

We know what the records are and what the stats say (games played, opponents W/L record, etc.) about Clemson, ND, Alabama, Florida, and A&M.

After that, we are *guessing* or worse *assuming* what tOSU, the real USC, or whoever else *might* be able to do in a playoff.

Not to mention that they are essentially being given an advantage by not playing a full season (risking COVID-19, risking injury, risking the chance of losing).

Would all our defensive players be hurt had they not played a full season this year? Would we have lost at ND had TL16 and those defensive players been in the game?

We will never know, but we took that risk and we shouldn't be punished for trying to play the season out.

More risk = more reward.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic