Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any chance Cornell Powell comes back?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

Any chance Cornell Powell comes back?

Jan 3, 2021, 5:34 PM

Powell's another guy who stands to make himself some serious money coming back, IMHO. I know he'd be entering his sixth year and that's a long time to be in college but he's our only natural 2-man receiver and would be the likely focus of the offense next year...we've watched 2-man receivers put up monster numbers in Clemson's offense before and Powell could well be the best of them, especially with DJU's ability to throw the deep ball.

He comes out now he's probably a late-round pick if he's drafted; if Powell emerges as The Man at Clemson - and I think he likely would next year - and Powell could legit aspire to fall somewhere between Michael Crabtree - who went 10th overall - or Anquan Boldin (who went early 2nd round) in the draft; he's very similar to those guys.

Anyone know his plans?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any chance Cornell Powell comes back?

Jan 3, 2021, 5:42 PM

God I hope he comes back along with Skalski.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Jan 3, 2021, 6:10 PM

I am not sold on Skalski, he is a good to great player however he lost credibility with me after TWO ejections in consecutive playoff games. Both times, it was not even close, clearly a HORRIBLE decision on his part so maybe we need to move on to other guys who won't leave the team hanging in the most important game of the year.

Jan 3, 2021, 9:39 PM

That's a bit unfair.

Jan 3, 2021, 10:31 PM

I wouldn't say so. I don't agree with those that say Skalski is a dirty player. He loves hitting and is violent, exactly what you want in a LB. I also think targeting is an idiotic penalty and that it takes away from the game. Also, his style of hitting is how a lot of us were taught to tackle.

That said, Skalski has a few targeting ejections, including in 2 of the 3 biggest games he's played in. He's a team leader, and owes it to his team to minimize the risk of ejections, because his leaving in a game destroys the entire defense. If he's not going to work on improving his technique, I don't think its unfair for a fan to suggest putting in younger, athletic backers who might not repeat those mistakes (notice I said athletic. I do not mean Jake.)

Ffs, "lost credibility" w/ you? PLZZZ! foh****

Jan 5, 2021, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Any chance Cornell Powell comes back? ]

He is our best player on Defense

Jan 5, 2021, 3:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Any chance Cornell Powell comes back? ]

so there's that.

He arrived in NOLA with $5k suitcase...guessing no.

Jan 3, 2021, 5:43 PM

He would be a huge vet to get back and compliment Ross. Filling Amari's role will be very difficult.

Dabo hugged him on senior day. Has anyone ever returned

Jan 3, 2021, 5:45 PM

from that?

I don't see him duplicating his numbers with our wide receiver group next year. Probably not enough up side in returning to justify the risk at his age. Time to move on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2021, 5:49 PM

I see the benefit to Clemson, but where is the benefit to Powell? He gets another year older -- a 24-25 year old college receiver? But he gets no faster and receives no new route running techniques with the same coaching staff. And what's to say DJ does not prefer faster Ngata, Ladson, or stonger/faster Ajou that he has worked with on scout team or best friend Collins that he has thrown to for years?

Sounds risky to me. After 5 years on campus, IMHO Powell either has NFL skill sets or he does not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2021, 5:52 PM

Benefit to Powell is in the draft possibilities after another year...

This is a deep WR draft.

Powell was arguably our best WR this year. I don't get why people keep posting that Ladson and Ngata are going to get all the reps next year. They haven't even proven they can stay healthy, much less that they can produce on the level Powell did this year.

Powell took off when DJ started. They seem to have a really good on-field rapport, and DJ obviously trusts him.

6 years is a long time to stay in school, but a big 6th year could make Powell a lot of money in the draft next year.

Jan 3, 2021, 7:01 PM

Both Ngata and Ladson had more yards than Powell in 2019. It's a possibility they could surpass Powell again when healthy. It's doubtful Powell would see as many snaps at the very least.

Jan 4, 2021, 11:13 AM

They aren't the same kind of receiver.

Powell's a natural 2. The others are those big 9-man types. The 2 in Clemson's system usually is sort of a WR/RB hybrid who gets dealt the ball short and then does a lot of damage after the catch, and if you look Powell is extremely thick and strong and very hard for a lighter DB to get on the ground...how many times did you see Powell just truck a corner trying to tackle him? It's almost unfair.

Even more unfair is that Powell's got the ability to turn that slant or out into a go and roast you downfield; we really haven't had that since Sammy Watkins played the 2. I dunno how fast he'll time in the 40 but he's more than fast enough, and more importantly he doesn't seem to slow down in pads.

Powell is really talented and brings something the bigger longer pure vertical receivers like Ladsen/Ngata/EJ Williams don't. He'd just never really put it together until this year and I suspect he can shoot up the draft boards with another year to showcase his talents...even Clemson fans don't really seem to quite appreciate just how talented this guy actually is. We definitely don't have another equivalent talent on the roster.

Getting him back would be big. For us, and I suspect, for him.

Jan 5, 2021, 11:56 AM

I think he already has shot up draft boards with his performance this season. He made Wade look bad in the Sugar Bowl, and Wade was a projected first rounder. Powell goes into the draft, and he will be picked in the 3rd round is my guess. Another year is unlikely to improve that draft position because there will always be faster and taller receivers that will be drafted higher.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah but they have yet to show they can impose their

Jan 5, 2021, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Any chance Cornell Powell comes back? ]

will on a defender like Powell did this year. They're big enough just not confident enough yet. they need a mean streak added to their repertoire.

Jan 4, 2021, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Any chance Cornell Powell comes back? ]

Don't forget incoming Beaux Collins who played on DJ's high school team.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

i like that he's 6-5.***

Jan 5, 2021, 3:13 PM

Jan 3, 2021, 5:55 PM

He’s not coming back otherwise why would he accept the Senior Bowl Invite.

I think he will be drafted higher than some on this board think. Particularly if he runs a decent 40. He had huge games in Clemson’s biggest games which had a lot of eyes watching

Jan 3, 2021, 7:12 PM

There it is Moondog. Speed is the question, and another year won't make him faster. If he runs a 4.6 or higher, it doesn't matter. If he runs a 4.48-4.55 or lower, he will have interest. He can catch and run routes.

My take is Powell would gain more in earnings, experience, and retirement funds by being on an NFL practice squad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2021, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Any chance Cornell Powell comes back? ]

His accepting an invitation to the Senior Bowl indicates to me he is not coming back.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2021, 5:56 PM

I really think he should. He was just starting to make a name for himself, and he seemed to have a lot of chemistry with DJU.

Jan 3, 2021, 6:31 PM

Powell did have a great chemistry with DJU! I feel he is a middle tier WR in the Draft(3-5th round), he needs to test well and have a good Senior Bowl. I feel he is a slightly better version of Jaron Brown who has had a nice NFL career.

Jan 3, 2021, 6:26 PM

is he going to walk on, what is the scholarship count at this point, and can Venables' boys pay their own way to make this happen? the 85 limit obviously did not change due to CoVID, which will force a lot of coaches to make some difficult choices.

Next year should be one of the most competitive in recent history with coaches having an option on 5th and 6th year players.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2021, 6:43 PM

NCAA still haven't informed the coaches how the extra year will be handled. They may not actually count toward the 85 limit.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2021, 6:47 PM

next year would be legend then. Winning ten games in any conference would get a whole lot harder.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2021, 6:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Any chance Cornell Powell comes back? ]

I thought true seniors who decide to return don’t count against the 85... not sure though.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2021, 9:52 PM

^^^^yep!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2021, 9:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Any chance Cornell Powell comes back? ]

Jesus, with the money we are paying BV, surely the Venables boys can pay their own way - for the good of the team.

Jan 5, 2021, 2:12 PM

Never understood that myself. Never will-

Jan 3, 2021, 6:32 PM

Excellent question. I think it comes down to confidence. Does Powell think he can have staying power in the NFL being drafted mid- to late-rounds? Or does he think he can show more versatility and boost himself into higher rounds with one more season?

I’d bet on the former. He has observed talented, 1st round, guys pass him up before. Go out while your stock is high. I think he could prove a bit more and earn himself a higher draft spot... maybe even high enough for a signing bonus.

Jan 4, 2021, 11:23 AM

It took him longer, but the dude is actually more talented than a lot of other guys we've had who've gone on to the NFL.

He doesn't have great height, but I really like his strength, his explosiveness, his physicality, and his vicelike hands. He really reminds me, like I said, of a Crabtree or a Boldin and I think he could easily post 75+ catches...and keep in mind he was averaging 16.6 yards per catch from the 2-man spot this season. That isn't "good", that's epic. Last year from the 2 even Justyn Ross was just averaging 13.3ypc and the year before Amari Rodgers averaged 10.2 from the same position...in 2017 Ray Ray McCloud was at 10.3ypc. Artavis Scott - who I think we all agree can play - was at less than half of Powell's average at 8.1ypc.

The dude can ball. My point is that even a lot of Clemson fans don't seem to appreciate just how much.

I think he goes. If Ross comes back and IF Ngata and Ladsen

Jan 3, 2021, 8:12 PM

stay healthy, there's going to be a lot of folks fighting for snaps. He does seem to have good chemistry, so maybe that's a reason in the stay column. He's had a good year, so I think he goes. And it may depend on if he gets a combine invite. If he does and shows out, may be up there in the draft. But will they even have a combine?

On the receiver front, still can't wonder why Jaron Brown hasn't stayed on a roster this year. Signed and cut twice. Go figure...........

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With the guys that we have coming back healthy next year, I

Jan 3, 2021, 8:15 PM

think Powell's playing time would vanish. His draft stock is as high as it will ever get. I still say he will only be a undrafted free agent.

Re: With the guys that we have coming back healthy next year, I

Jan 3, 2021, 8:56 PM

I think he will be drafted. How high will depend on how he practices at the Senior Bowl and the combine if he is invited. The Senior Bowl practices can get the attention of pro scouts.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2021, 9:47 PM [ in reply to With the guys that we have coming back healthy next year, I ]

If he is going to be an undrafted frre agent, might as well stay and play another year. he can always be an undrafted free agent next year. And he might want to get more education since a pro playing career seems a long shot.

This brings up the part of the answer that so many here have neglected. Where do the pros have him projected in the draft. That will be the deciding factor.

Jan 4, 2021, 4:07 PM

If he stays another year, he'll be fighting for playing time. If he goes to NFL as a UDFA, he will at minimum make a practice squad. He'll receive an income, great coaching and exposure, and will always be within 1 week of making a game-day squad.

I think he's shown as much as he can at the college level after his great performance this year. It's time to go. He's also not getting younger, and the average career length of an NFL WR is only a couple of years.

Jan 3, 2021, 9:43 PM

No one improved more that Cornell did this year. He was absolutely awesome. However, I don’t see him coming back. He’s been here 5 years. I imagine he will move on.

Jan 3, 2021, 9:46 PM

The young man had a great time at Clemson, use your degree & go get a job. Got no chance in the league.

Jan 3, 2021, 9:48 PM

Then stay and get a Master's degree - and maybe another Natty.

Which would you rather do - go get a job or play football at Clemson.

Jan 3, 2021, 9:51 PM

I think he returns as did Amari (granted from season ending injury), but I liken the two because they both have tremendous upside, heart and work ethic.

CP comes back!!!!

Jan 4, 2021, 11:17 AM

I doubt he can top what he did this year with the group we will have next year taking some of his targets. I say he strikes the draft while hot.

Jan 4, 2021, 11:28 AM

My own opinion is he'd be by far the best WR on the roster next year unless Justyn Ross comes back. Maybe EJ Williams would be close if he continues to come on.

Powell was a late bloomer at Clemson but he is really talented.

Jan 5, 2021, 9:37 AM

If he's the best WR on the roster, and he's 5 years in, he's ready for the NFL.

I think he goes pro.

Jan 5, 2021, 12:03 PM

I think he's unlikely to get as many touches next year with the guys we have coming back. His stock now is as high as it's likely to be. With a good showing at the combine, he could play himself into being a mid-round pick.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jan 5, 2021, 12:43 PM

Late round NFL draft picks are not invited to the Senior Bowl.

No, he accepted senior bowl invite

Jan 5, 2021, 1:07 PM

Highly doubt he would come back after that. NFL coaches and draft analysts usually pick those guys up and he should show out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic