Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Passion aside gentlemen, If you were Head Coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,454

Passion aside gentlemen, If you were Head Coach

Jun 11, 2020, 9:21 PM

How would you have handled Pearman?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Passion aside gentlemen, If you were Head Coach

Jun 11, 2020, 9:36 PM

I would accept his apology, make a note in his employee file and move on. When you work around someone for that long, you know who they are and what their character is. Some just want to be on the safe side of the issue and will say fire him, but most wouldn't in that position bc he was doing the right thing, but he just didn't handled it in the best possible way. I want people working for me that can admit when they have been wrong bc they will get it right most of the time!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo handled it the right way...

Jun 11, 2020, 9:36 PM

In house. In private. Everybody was good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. It's like most of the world wants to give him the

Jun 12, 2020, 10:03 AM

death penalty.

Jun 11, 2020, 9:41 PM

Pearman was correct in rebuking DJ. When he uttered the N word in his rebuke, he stepped across a sacred line--oops, semi-sacred invisible line.

His apology then gave the impression that he (Pearman) acknowledges being more wrong than DJ. That is not true. But today DJ views Pearman as the one who was wrong, because he apologized to DJ 'like 5 times that season'.

I think Dabo handled it correctly by instructing Pearman in how he should have done it. Pearman was morally right, but stepped on a land mine by being too direct. These are football players, men of action, not words; rebuking a player for a football action requires immediate attention. But rebuking someone, anyone in a moral way requires deliberate word choice that he didn't take time for.

He certainly didn't use the word pejoratively.

As all have said, Coach P learned how to do it correctly. You certainly don't want to fire him and have a less capable rookie make the same mistake again. I just hope DJ learned from it or has matured enough not to use the word any more, but I fear he didn't.

Jun 11, 2020, 10:18 PM

If I were head coach, I'd try really really hard to do everything exactly like Dabo Swinney. Dabo's not perfect, but he's about as close as you can get, so I'd copy every single thing he has done so far.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 1:25 AM

Do I understand the situation correctly?

My understanding was Coach Pearman was trying to teach his player (DJ Greenlee) that it is not okay to say the N-word. If he would have said "we do not say THAT" - then there is no issue? But instead of using a term like "that" he repeated the player's offensive language. So his "sin" was using the DJ's quote that included the N-word?

How does Tuttle fit into the situation? Was he involved, heard it when it happened but wasn't directly involved, found out about it later, something else?

Thanks for helping me understand the situation and context that led to the controversy.

The whole Pearman scenario is BS... He was doing the

Jun 12, 2020, 10:50 AM

correcting. If anything, it should have been Greenlee getting the scrutiny. As to Tuttle, trying to cause dissension isn't what a good "team player" does... That was purely a "look at me" move...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 10:55 AM

I would have told Pearman not to even repeat the word. Thats about it.

Jun 12, 2020, 11:18 AM

Dabo is the head coach. It has been handled. No need to keep bringing it up and trying to be a sideline quarterback. It is a DONE deal.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,454
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic