Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo Sweeney > Danny ford
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 3,996

Dabo Sweeney > Danny ford

Jul 28, 2017, 7:47 PM

Yes?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This should go well.***

Jul 28, 2017, 7:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Dabo Sweeney > Danny ford

Jul 28, 2017, 7:52 PM

Who is Dabo Sweeney? Is he Dabo Swinney's evil twin?

Yes.

Jul 28, 2017, 7:55 PM

In more ways than not.

Re: Dabo Sweeney > Danny ford***

Jul 28, 2017, 8:03 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Your spelling < third grade***

Jul 28, 2017, 8:08 PM

"Sweeney" really?

Jul 28, 2017, 8:08 PM

Go strait to jail

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2017, 8:10 PM

YOU don't want to goooooooooooo there!!!

Re: Use compairing Apels to oringes***

Jul 28, 2017, 8:56 PM

What a dummy

Jul 28, 2017, 8:58 PM

That's all...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sweeney or Queenie no

Jul 28, 2017, 9:00 PM

But I reckon Swinney has surpassed Ford

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Jul 28, 2017, 9:16 PM

Got the coop part of your handle right

I was enrolled during the early part of

Jul 28, 2017, 9:32 PM

the Ford era including attending the national championship. I have friends who played during that era and friends who were on the coaching staff and IMHO our coach now has a better system in place, has made better hires and while very different and it was a different time I would give the edge to Dabo with the expectation that he will widen the gap over the next few years.

Jul 28, 2017, 9:52 PM

Born in 83. So yes, Dabo has given more to me than Ford, but, those born before myself, I'm not sure. Without Ford, would we have a Swinney?

80's mall Chick-fil-a > today's Chick-fil-a

Jul 28, 2017, 10:06 PM

Y'all know what I'm talking about...

Re: 80's mall Chick-fil-a > today's Chick-fil-a

Jul 29, 2017, 7:54 AM

Same great sandwich , now with even more national brand recognition

Jul 29, 2017, 8:09 AM

I actually had something interesting to say regarding the subject of your post. Your spelling however turned me off and I'm done here.

Dabo=Danny

Jul 29, 2017, 8:13 AM

At least right now anyway. Dabo has a lot more resources at his his disposal but a lot of those resources and support for the program exist because of what Danny did for the program. What I'm saying is do you think there would be as much support for the program Dabo stepped into if Danny's teams did not accomplish what they did in the 80s? They set the standard at Clemson that all of us long time fans wanted back. I do think Dabo will surpass Danny as the GOAT but right now I view them as equals and love what they've accomplished at Clemson.

Re: Dabo=Danny

Jul 29, 2017, 10:35 AM

^ this is the best answer and well reasoned.

Jul 29, 2017, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Dabo=Danny ]

My favorite Clemson coaches have been Frank Howard, Danny Ford and Dabo Swinney. I sat in the stands and watched a couple of Coach Howards teams, saw most of Coach Ford's team's games live, and I've seen most of Coach Swinney's teams live for most of their games.

I am glad Coach Howard laid the foundation, took our program to the point of national recognition and was completely loyal to Clemson Univesity.

I was there in the spell from 68-76 when we posted 8 losing seasons in 9 years and often looked bad while doing it. I recall when The Hill was empty for most games and the cops tried to make the hippies stop playing frisbee during the games because they got larger cheers than the football team.

I was there for the rise under Charlie Pell and all of Coach Ford's tenure. Coach Ford casts a long long shadow. He was a football coach's football coach and he was much beloved by his players and his fans. I love it that the players on the 81 team have been such loyal Clemson fans, followers and boosters for so long. I love it that so many of them have lived completely laudable lives, contributing immensely to Clemson and to their home communities. Ford's National Championship made our past relevant and our future possible. For many years I was sure I could never like a coach more than I like Coach Ford. I love it that he remained loyal to Clemson despite an administration and a board of trustees who were not loyal to him.

No one can or should forget that between 1975 and 1993 Clemson was cited for rules violations 5 times in 2 sports. Our program broke the rules, got caught at it and suffered huge embarrassments for our misdeeds. (Our sins were more or less just like those of Florida, Alabama, Auburn, FSU, Georgia, South Carolina, Miami, and so on ad naseum. But that doesn't make what happened then right.)

Coach Swinney has constructed a program at Clemson that has won more big games than any coach who preceeded him. Coach Swinney's program has been ranked higher, longer than any Clemson coach who preceeded him. The sport of college football is bigger now than it has ever been and the competition is better and more uniformly better than it has ever been. Coach Swinney's teams are riding a streak of 6 consecutive ten win seasons and they have won almost all the really big games for a long term. Last years National Championship was a dream come true and was in no way an upset. Heck, we shoulda/coulda won two titles in the last two years. No streak of Clemson teams has ever been better than the current streak of Clemson teams.

Finally, Coach Swinney has raised the academic standards of the athletes at Clemson and his graduation rate is unprecedented in the modern era. Coach Swinney has been a sports media star of the first order, attracting all sorts of positive attention and impact for our University. I love it that Coach Swinney has such an unswerving focus on academics, character and excellence in life. I love it that he's been a driving force in bringing a great many former Tiger greats who left school without a diploma back to school to complete their education.

It's clear to me Dabo Swinney has already been the best football coach AND the best university spokesman Clemson has ever had. Nationally the profile of our football program and our university has never been higher. Thanks Coach Swinney.

Coach Howard was a unique figure from a different era and he cannot be compared in any way to Coach Ford or Coach Swinney, but it is clear he did not win at the rate both later coaches achieved.

Dabo>Danny

BTW, I was not in favor of the Swinney hire.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2017, 4:37 PM

Good response. Enlightening. I was born in 1980 and became a fan in 1986. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic because of the impression Clemson football laid on me as a kid. As I wrote the response above I had the violations in the back of my mind but I didn't think they were as major as they were made out to be. Keep in mind that I may have it wrong when I say this but wasn't the 82-83 probation over a couple of guys who never set foot on campus? Anyway, the reason why I view then as equals at this point is because double digit win seasons were harder to come by because we played less games back then. The probation set Danny back in the mid 80s. Again Dabo has more to work with because of what happened while Danny did. Everything you said about Dabo is true but to me it's apples an oranges. This is just a different time than the 80s. I don't think Danny would work today nor do I think Dabo would work then. I know I'm a youngun' compared to you so I'm here to learn and not be contrary. Feel free to add to your point or correct my perception of the 80s.

Thanks, Harley....another classic.***

Jul 29, 2017, 8:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo=Danny ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2017, 10:35 AM

It's hard to compare the two. I grew up with Danny and he'll always be special.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a public service announcement !

Jul 29, 2017, 2:07 PM

A troll alert has been released for this thread! The originator of this thread may be trying to engage in conversation while exhibiting signs of cootitis. Please be careful of contact. Signs of infection may include but not limited to misspelling Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney, and yelling Boom at inappropriate moments. We now return you to normal TigerNet programming.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is a public service announcement !

Jul 29, 2017, 7:00 PM

I think most of us know but this has been a good topic for me to see different and reasonable perspectives even if they are few and far between. Thanks for looking out for us though.

Jul 29, 2017, 2:08 PM

1. Yes

2. Whys it matter? Conversation? Where's 105.5 when ya need it

@kellygramlich

Jul 29, 2017, 2:18 PM

I'll always love Danny Ford and he is among the football saints in my eyes, but this race ain't even close - Dabo by a mile. I was a student during the Ford years ('84 - '88) and the program was nowhere near the elite level it is today for which Dabo deserves a lot of the credit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A hundred times YES. Ford had some "baggage"

Jul 29, 2017, 2:39 PM

that Dabo doesn't appear to have. Plus, no probation at this point. The mid 80s were brutal with bowl and tv bans... that being said, getting a natty out of it was worth it

Yes. Dabo has accomplished more against better competition,

Jul 29, 2017, 2:41 PM

and he's done it without the background noise.

I love Danny Ford. I went to school during (4) 10-win seasons in a row. But...

Jul 29, 2017, 3:02 PM

What does it really matter they both put CLEMSON on the Map.
Right now it's pretty close only time will tell if Dabo is better than Ford.
This season is a big one for the CLEMSON program.
Do we have staying power or was it all DW, I say after the Auburn game.
We will have a better understanding

disrespectful to both clemson's goat coaches***

Jul 29, 2017, 6:52 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

I'm sorry but I must ask......

Jul 29, 2017, 10:09 PM

How is anything said in this thread disrespectful, and how can you have two "greatest"?

There can be only one greatest, and stating that Dabo has already reached that pinnacle is not being disrespectful.

Pretty clearly***

Jul 29, 2017, 6:58 PM

Replies: 32
| visibility 3,996
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic