Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
D@mn the ink barely dried on the dotted line..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

D@mn the ink barely dried on the dotted line..

Feb 18, 2021, 9:03 PM

And they're already leaving..
#UTDumpsterfire

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/cody-brown-parkview-hs-lilburn-ga-volunteers-4-star-signee-transfer-portal-2021/

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: D@mn the ink barely dried on the dotted line..

Feb 18, 2021, 11:14 PM

I always wonder why they include the line "Please respect my decision" in their message. What do they think any of us could do about it anyway, even if we wanted to?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2021, 1:23 AM

It's just the standard "I know you hate me now, but please don't give me any sh!t about it" response.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They committed to the university, not the coach.

Feb 19, 2021, 12:05 AM

I wish schools would stand up to players in these situations and not release them from their signed letters of intent.

These star recruits get attention from many coaches and programs as they work toward making a decision. They verbally commit and then they sign. You have no excuse not to know what you are getting yourself into.

With respect to these guys at Tennessee, surely they knew that there was a very good chance that the coach would be fired or “resign.” So I have zero tolerance for their change of heart.

Given the fact that players can so easily opt out of their CONTRACT with the school, perhaps we should make it a lot easier for schools to release players from their scholarships if they aren’t producing enough on or off the field.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: They committed to the university, not the coach.

Feb 19, 2021, 7:05 AM

Well said.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apparently not !!!

Feb 19, 2021, 8:03 AM [ in reply to They committed to the university, not the coach. ]

That said, while I do not disagree with you entirely, a head coaching change can be a major shake-up within a program and a compelling argument can be made that the program to which a kid committed is no longer the same as the one to which the original commitment was made.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

So, if Dabo left,

Feb 19, 2021, 9:22 AM

We should begrudge a signee being upset? Especially if TE and BV went with him (e.g., NFL)? Clemson's a great location, but if that were the sole selling point, Clemson would have more than three Natties. Treating kids like indentured servants is unsavory, at best.

Message was edited by: Salty55®

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you don't think...

Feb 19, 2021, 10:34 AM

Dabo and BV leaving wouldn't have a tremendous impact on recruits and their decisions to sign with Clemson, you're kidding yourself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Apparently not !!! the problem

Feb 19, 2021, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Apparently not !!! ]

is stuff like Tex and Tenn did. Fire the coach a few days after guys sign. Texas even said a month or so earlier Herman would be back. So they flat out mislead kids

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely !!!!

Feb 19, 2021, 11:37 AM

and when that happens, the kids should absolutely have the option to leave without penalty if they so desire.

Feb 19, 2021, 9:43 AM [ in reply to They committed to the university, not the coach. ]

Judge, I disagree with you here.

As far as I am concerned, UT broke their "contract" with these kids with their own misbehavior. Next, you point is that the students should know about "scam" side of things, I disagree too. Kids are not in on that level of administration. Unless the kid was accepting the McD bag, then it should be assumed that the kid was acting in good faith and the University's behavior was at fault. Even if it was last moment, maybe the kid shouldn't sign but you never know what the program was feeding the kid before that choice. Again, it comes down to faith in the contract. Right now, anything with most programs and the NCAA involved has little faith.

I think the schools should be on the hook for anything offered - including 8 semesters of full scholarships even if they kid never suits up once after signing the paper. The only way out for that scholarship would be fore a transfer. Getting a kid an education is the prime reason for Universities and we need to hold schools to this and create incentives for kids to graduate. This is one reason why I am extremely proud Tigers - our committment to education. I would also like to see the pump-and-dump programs hurt for not graduating kids. Take the Coots or Jawja. How many recruiting championships would Jawja have if they had to keep their commitment to graduating all their flunkies. I mean, holding a scholarship because the previous year that Jawja guy got arrested and he still has 7 semesters to go within the correctional facility will make programs more concerned about character. South Carolina will eventually have to nothing but walk-ons.... which might improve their product.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2021, 12:24 PM [ in reply to They committed to the university, not the coach. ]

There's a difference here though. I doubt he knew that some of the coaches were giving cash out to recruits in McDonalds bags......real stupid. So the school is clearly destined for serious probation, perhaps bowl ineligibility, loss of scholarships, probation. That's a little different from a coach likely to be fired for not winning enough.

Said by a Clemson grad and UT grad school grad. There's a dumpster fire at UT. How was he to know that? I'm with you on frivolous changing your mind, but this is different.

Feb 19, 2021, 1:22 PM [ in reply to They committed to the university, not the coach. ]

I wish schools would stand up to players in these situations and not release them from their signed letters of intent.

These star recruits get attention from many coaches and programs as they work toward making a decision. They verbally commit and then they sign. You have no excuse not to know what you are getting yourself into.

With respect to these guys at Tennessee, surely they knew that there was a very good chance that the coach would be fired or “resign.” So I have zero tolerance for their change of heart.

Given the fact that players can so easily opt out of their CONTRACT with the school, perhaps we should make it a lot easier for schools to release players from their scholarships if they aren’t producing enough on or off the field.

Sorry Judge, you're wrong on this one. Coaches do all the recruiting and sell themselves as part of the school. If you don't want coaches to be a part of the decision making for athletes, then have administration and the athletic department do all the recruiting. Such a weird post coming from you considering you know that an athlete's decision comes from many factors.

Feb 19, 2021, 12:37 PM

They must have closed the McDonald’s

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic