Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Criticism: we don't seem to smell blood well enough
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 904

Criticism: we don't seem to smell blood well enough

Oct 31, 2016, 2:11 PM

We came out against FSU unintimidated, focused, executing. Deshaun Watson showed the ice-water he has in his veins, throwing accurately and making clutch throws against an insanely pumped-up FSU defense and a frenzied crowd.

Two drives, two TD's.

And then came what we've seen too much of: seeming lethargy. We took our foot off the gas. We had not one but two possessions inside the FSU 50...and came away with zero points. One was a three-and-out that started with a Deshaun Watson deep ball to Cain that never had a chance of succeeding...Deshaun put it out of bounds, and Cain had no way whatsoever to make a play on it. Then we reverted back to what we always do when our first-down throw doesn't succeed (here's where Clemson could seriously afford to self-scout, because we're way too guilty of this): we ran Wayne Gallman up the middle for no gain. FSU had stacked the box and was duly waiting in the gaps for him, and it was stuffed for no gain. Then on third down Watson just sort of diffidently lingered in the pocket, got the ball swatted. Three-and-out. The next drive he threw an ill-advised pick trying to force the ball.

Zero points, no TD's.

At that point the game could have, and should have, been largely over. If we're up 21-0 or especially 28-0, the game starts looking a whole lot like the blowout FSU put on us in Death Valley in 2013...they're chasing the game, trying to make something, anything happen, the crowd is dead, and everything has gone sideways. At that point we need to make a couple stops, finish off one or two more drives ourselves, and the game's done and dusted.

Instead we let FSU back into the game. The crowd got back into it, the FSU team surged off the mat, and we were forced to come back and win - which we did, very definitively. Again, Deshaun's got ice-water in his veins; nobody would argue that, and the team has definitely taken on that aspect as well. When the game is clutch, he delivers. Almost always. The problem seems to be, we don't stick our boot down on people's necks quite well enough when it's easy.

The second quarter was disappointing, especially after seemingly pummeling the 'Noles senseless on both sides of the ball. While that's a trait that's been especially glaring this year, the fact is, we were guilty of that a lot last year too...most notably we let South Carolina and North Carolina hang around late in the season, and those could have cost us.

I'd really like to see us work on being a little more ruthless down the stretch. Build a lead, control the game, keep our foot on the gas, and get it over and done with. Get the melodrama out of some of these contests. When the other team is showing throat, stick the knife in. Because that lack of focus doesn't seem to be strictly Deshaun Watson's fault; you seemingly see everybody switch off too much during games - the defense starts sticking to blocks, the playcalling gets stale, conservative, and worst of all, predictable, and the difference in execution between drives can sometimes be night-and-day.

Some of that can possibly be attributed to the youth of this squad. Especially at the backup spots, there's a bunch of young guys who come in on the 3rd/4th/5th drives and that does tend to disrupt intensity and continuity. But we're at that point in the season where those young guys need to be picking it up, too. But we definitely need to be looking to amp it up another level down the stretch. We've been very good - at times. We've also been inconsistent, we've allowed far too many inferior opponents to hang around, and we need to start closing out games better. If we can fix that lack of nose for the opponent's blood we've shown thus far, though, there could well be a championship at the end of it.

Just my .02 worth. We're in the hunt...let's finish this thing this year, and that starts with finishing better in general.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was bad play-calling. We should have stuck with

Oct 31, 2016, 2:17 PM

run-first to get in a short yardage situation on 2nd and 3rd down.

Going for the big play is great, but continuing to wear their D down would be more fun!

Yep. These games coming up are critical.***

Oct 31, 2016, 2:19 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: Criticism: we don't seem to smell blood well enough

Oct 31, 2016, 2:22 PM

Need to start using Gallman more with pitches instead of those straight of the middle .
The play calling gets very predictable you are right.

Re: Criticism: we don't seem to smell blood well enough

Oct 31, 2016, 3:28 PM

Leading 14-0 with the ball and we have 2 chances to push it in for a 3 TD lead. 2nd and 3 and we proceed to throw it 2 times and then we're out. 3 and 1 and we again throw it and again we're out.. What are the co-OCV's thinking. Remember, these guys are young, have done a good job but still have lots to learn. If we contain this against even stronger teams we get beat. 3 and 1 is the jumbo package which has not been stopped yet. Until it is I use it.

Sure we're 8 and 0 but that does not mean that everything has been first rate because it clearly has not

up 14-0 our D gives us the ball twice at approximately

Oct 31, 2016, 3:33 PM

Midfield..if my memory is correct....squeeze their throat a little, and we're up 24-0 at the worst.....rout on!

Good observation ...

Oct 31, 2016, 3:59 PM

I always enjoy your post.

I however have come to believe, the Tigers just like to play with their food!

Actually thinking about making a shirt that says that or maybe... The Cardiac Cats?

I mean...do you really not expect FSU to make plays?

Oct 31, 2016, 4:03 PM

Sure, hindsight is 20/20 on playcalling but if Deshaun had not overthrown the WR on our third possession we look like geniuses.

If you didn't expect the noles to make plays on their side of the ball and climb back in the game then you haven't been watching college football for very long.

This isn't Xbox. We aren't going to score each time we have the ball, especially on the road. Deshaun had a couple overthrows and a couple bad decisions where the secondary fooled him. If he makes a couple of those throws or tucks it and runs we probably are looking at a wider margin of victory.

But again, Watson isn't a robot and to expect him to not make mistakes during the course of the game is unrealistic. I think we made great adjustments when we needed them and our offense executed them well. Was a hard fought game and the best FSU has played by far and we still pulled the victory out in a venue where it has been virtually impossible for us to win.

Not putting away Troy? Ok, i get that. But not sure playing the noles in Tally is good supporting evidence that we don't know how to put a team away early. I'm pretty sure almost zero teams have done that to them in the past several years at their place.

Replies: 7
| visibility 904
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic