Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A playoff hypothetical...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,527

A playoff hypothetical...

Sep 16, 2020, 1:02 PM

Let's assume somebody like, say, Cincinnati were to go undefeated, run the table to 11-0, then win their conference championship game, and finish 12-0. Along the way they'd get wins against teams presently ranked like Army (#22), Memphis (#16), and UCF (#14), and maybe a fourth win against a ranked team as well in the championship game.

In this hypothetical situation - which does seem entirely possible given how this year could play out - does a Group of 5 team with some quality wins on its slate deserve that last playoff spot ahead of a B1G team that only played 8-9 games and would probably have even fewer ranked wins on its resume?

If it's about resume, I'd have a real problem with that if I was a Group of 5 team getting left out this season. And I'm really reluctant to reward a B1G that's only playing 2/3's of their season, starts literally five weeks later than we do...and then expects us to hold their spot for them.

Why would we?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A playoff hypothetical...

Sep 16, 2020, 1:07 PM

This is how the argument will work in favor of the Big10.

If Ohio St is the undefeated BIG team: Eye test and pretend nothing else matters.

If it's a team other than Ohio St: How can you leave out a team that beat Ohio St on their way to an undefeated season.

I think there is a better chance of arguing the Group of 5 team in over a 2nd place SEC team or a 1 loss Big 12 champ.

I am sticking by what I am saying in every thread that playing games is harder than not playing games so 11-1 is better than 9-0. The BIG should have a major disadvantage when being compared to teams who have played 2 or 3 more games than them, but sadly I don't believe those with a loud voice will look at it my way.

Unfortunately The Real Eye Test Says O310 Can't Win Big Game***

Sep 16, 2020, 1:39 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sure looks that way.***

Sep 16, 2020, 1:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Couldn't agree more, Quoz.***

Sep 16, 2020, 1:09 PM

Since the PAC is not playing I have no problem...

Sep 16, 2020, 1:10 PM

if the remaining four power five get a seed for their conference champs. I'd rather see a team which wins its conference play than one which doesn't.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Since the PAC is not playing I have no problem...

Sep 16, 2020, 1:14 PM

8-1 Wisconsin or 8-2 Oklahoma St who each won their conferences in over 11-1 Clemson who beat ND regular season but lost to ND in the ACC title game while missing a handful of starters?

That's a hypothetical obviously but I would want Clemson to get a couple weeks to get all players back on the field and have a shot in the playoffs over the other 2 options.

If that Big10 team is OSU, I think we all know they ain't

Sep 16, 2020, 1:12 PM

getting left out in the cold.

Is that fair? No. But it wasn't really fair when they leapfrogged Baylor and TCU to get in in 2014 and got in in 2016 even though Penn St beat them head-to-head AND won the Conference...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With the money lost this season by sports as a whole,

Sep 16, 2020, 1:16 PM

you can bet your last buck that the college fb playoffs this year will be about TV ratings even more than it already was the last several years. They're going to want the biggest, most watched teams for ratings purposes. I agree with everything Q is saying but all of this is a moot point. Just my 2 cent.

Sep 16, 2020, 1:18 PM

Sports Media will demand OSU if they played 5 games

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2020, 1:18 PM

I agree. Leave them out and put Cincinnati in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honestly, I'm not even expecting the B1G to get in 8

Sep 16, 2020, 1:43 PM

games with no open dates. If they do manage to do so, there's a good chance some of those teams are going to have a week or two where they have to put A LOT of 2nd and 3rd stringers out there on the field.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,527
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic