Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coots going full out with Foghorn Leghorn statue
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Coots going full out with Foghorn Leghorn statue

Oct 4, 2017, 9:14 PM

A rendering of the 15- to 18-foot-tall bronze Gamecock statue USC will erect beside Williams-Brice Stadium.

Giant Gamecock statue won’t be ready for football season
BY AVERY G. WILKS
awilks@thestate.com
LINKEDIN
GOOGLE+
PINTEREST
REDDIT
PRINT
ORDER REPRINT OF THIS STORY
AUGUST 24, 2017 12:45 PM

A massive Gamecock statue the University of South Carolina plans to erect outside Williams-Brice Stadium won’t be installed in time for football season.

The 15- to 18-foot-tall bird is taking longer than expected to cast in bronze and assemble, the university says.

The school had hoped to place the $995,000 statue, paid for with private gifts, on Springs-Brooks Plaza before the Sept. 16 home opener against Kentucky.

ADVERTISING

The school now expects to install it just after the season ends.

“The Gamecock sculpture is a complex piece, and we don’t want to sacrifice quality by rushing the project,” USC spokesman Jeff Stensland said. “This will be an impressive sculpture that fans will be able to enjoy for many years to come.”

The giant Gamecock’s future home is a brick planter on the plaza at the corner of Bluff Road and George Rogers Boulevard, near the statue of USC Heisman Trophy winner Rogers.

The statue is under construction by John Hair, who has sculpted college mascots at Furman, Cincinnati, Wake Forest and Purdue.

Avery G. Wilks: 803-771-8362, @averygwilks

RELATED STORIES FROM THE ISLAND PACKET
VIDEO: USC honors George Rogers with statue
VIDEO: USC honors George Rogers with statue
A rendering of the 15- to 18-foot-tall bronze Gamecock statue USC will erect beside Williams-Brice Stadium.
A rendering of the 15- to 18-foot-tall bronze Gamecock statue USC will erect beside Williams-Brice Stadium. Provided by the University of South Carolina.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coots going full out with Foghorn Leghorn statue

Oct 4, 2017, 9:18 PM

Did you notice in the story that this was supposed to be completed for the Kentucky game? I guess we can add this to the long list of Kentucky week screwups. LMAO

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Oct 4, 2017, 9:20 PM

dont count your chickens before they hatch

So sad..pc popo needs to get'm

Oct 4, 2017, 9:31 PM

Why is the overly sensitive pc popo not all over USuCk for this blantant disregard for fowl life?! Shouldn't they have to change their name and mascot since it promotes animal abuse for the humanz entertainment?

For those who don't read sarcasm I could give two shillingz about their mascot....sucky is as sucky does is the dirtpeckerz way.

GO TIGERS!!!

Re: So sad..pc popo needs to get'm

Oct 4, 2017, 9:33 PM

They could probably borrow this one...

A Millie for a bronze chicken

Oct 4, 2017, 9:33 PM

I mean come on now. I'm sure they can find a more cost effective way to make one. Especially with 3D printing tech

Oct 4, 2017, 9:51 PM

That's quite an erection...

Oct 4, 2017, 10:04 PM

It looks like it's poooping a giant five-headed alien tapeworm .

Either that or tailfeathers , or whatever .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Bwahahaha... a million dollars?

Oct 4, 2017, 10:19 PM

They make it so easy to make fun of them!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

The good news is...

Oct 4, 2017, 11:55 PM

it will keep the rain off all the homeless vagrants over there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

That's the biggest #### I've ever seen***

Oct 4, 2017, 10:30 PM

foghorn leghorn ain't no stinkin coot***

Oct 4, 2017, 10:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Ah say, ah say...I think ya on to sumthin there boy..." Yep***

Oct 5, 2017, 8:08 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2017, 10:52 PM

looks more like Godzilla or rodan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: My girlfriend thinks it's

Oct 4, 2017, 11:14 PM

25 to 30 feet tall.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It looks like a chicken getting ready to take a massive dump***

Oct 5, 2017, 7:56 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

####, it's upside down, spur up!***

Oct 5, 2017, 9:34 AM

They couldn't figure out where to put the p e c k e r***

Oct 5, 2017, 9:35 AM

Re: Coots going full out with Foghorn Leghorn statue***

Oct 5, 2017, 10:00 AM

Oct 5, 2017, 10:13 AM

It totally befuddles me that they don't realize how absolutely stupid a statue of a 50 foot chicken looks.

Building stuff doesn't make you a good football program. They have never grasped that. They are all about bling and not about substance.

They better hope this chicken doesn't quit halfway through

Oct 5, 2017, 10:17 AM

the season next year after they erect a statue to honor it. We know how giant depictions of their idols has turned out in the past.

at least PETA will have a new place to protest

Oct 5, 2017, 10:26 AM

at "the statue that glorifies the brutal and inhumane bloodsport of cockfighting". And it does for sure. If that's not a rooster in a cockfighting pose, I've never seen one.

I can already visualize the headlines......Half-naked, fake blood-soaked women dressed as chickens.
Good job Gamecocks.

Chikin on a skewer, love it. Need some coals around the

Oct 5, 2017, 12:42 PM

bottom, and set to go!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2013, 3:11 PM

I'm willing to cast something in bronze for them, won't charge nearly a million, and it'll stink up the place as bad as their football team does.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic