Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coots & Muschump in SI article
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Coots & Muschump in SI article

Dec 30, 2020, 8:47 AM

Pretty scathing assessment of college football, but interesting that he references the coots:

"In December of 2010, Will Muschamp, a man with zero head-coaching experience, agreed to lead Florida for $2.75 million per season. He went 28–21 in four years, got canned, and took a $6 million golden parachute for his trouble. Inexplicably, Muschamp’s market value went up: In December of ’15, South Carolina hired him at $3 million per year.

"Muschamp went 15–11 over his first two years in Columbia, and administrators were so impressed that they bumped his salary past $4 million. This season, with Muschamp’s South Carolina record at 28–30, the school paid him $13 million to go away.

"For nine seasons of mostly losing SEC games, Muschamp collected $49 million. But at least the schools that cut those checks, Florida and South Carolina, got to show how much they care about winning.

"After firing Muschamp, South Carolina administrators accepted a bid to the Gasparilla Bowl in St. Petersburg without asking players if they, you know, wanted to play. Interim coach Mike Bobo explained: “There’s no vote in the SEC. When you come to play in the SEC, you come to play ball.”

"South Carolina ultimately turned down the bid because of COVID concerns." (funny how no one seems to mention the initial reports that the players themselves voted and opted out of the game)

There's a lot I take issue with in that article, but I have the same concern with how colleges are paying these coaches - everything up front and failure is actually REWARDED! The chase for success seems to blind a lot of these AD's to the realities of the game, the many variables that go into a winning team, and even to the resume/history of these coaches that find themselves on the market after getting fired for poor performance. The coots seem to be the epitome of this, with the exception of a few lucky years they got from Spurrier.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Link

Dec 30, 2020, 8:48 AM

https://www.si.com/college/2020/12/29/global-pandemic-exposed-ncaa-inc

Re: Coots & Muschump in SI article

Dec 30, 2020, 8:51 AM

Very interesting. To me it's odd how college AD's more often than not escape the results of a poor HC hire.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2020, 8:57 AM

Schools & AD's have thrown away - absolutely wasted - a LOT of money trying to catch lightning in a bottle. We've been extremely blessed and fortunate with Dabo. His situation is a rarity among rarities in college football.

Dec 30, 2020, 10:03 AM

The money in college athletics is just so absurd these days.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic