Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cookie break @ Harcombe
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Cookie break @ Harcombe

Jan 18, 2021, 7:08 PM

Leaving the comfort of Johnstone to grab some warm cookies and chocolate milk. Now I have to go to the store and bake them myself. Maybe it’s the post college football season blues but I could go for cookie break right now.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I always went for the doughnuts myself. As far as the milk,

Jan 18, 2021, 7:10 PM

there were a LOT of kids who would be seen with EIGHT or more glasses on their tray at once. I liked milk as much as the next guy, but that was too much lactose for me!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I always went for the doughnuts myself. As far as the milk,

Jan 18, 2021, 7:12 PM

Yes! I may have been the guy with the Tupperware jug filling it with milk to take back to my room.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

AnyJuan remember the last-day-before-Christmas break food

Jan 19, 2021, 9:47 AM

FIGHTS in there? CLASSIC!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2021, 9:50 AM [ in reply to I always went for the doughnuts myself. As far as the milk, ]

I don't remember donuts at cookie break. Just cookies and maybe potato chips?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2021, 6:45 PM [ in reply to I always went for the doughnuts myself. As far as the milk, ]

I had a high metabolism and and was always happy about "All You Can Eat" at Harcombe!

So no joke, I filled 4 glasses of milk with every round of my meal (the glasses were what used to be called water glasses in restaurants. probably 6 - 8oz).

Each "meal" usually entailed getting one full plate of the entrée, vegetables and bread along with 4 glasses of milk. Followed by a repeat of every thing I had the first trip. So that meant 8 glasses with the "Main Courses". Then I'd go back and just get a little of whatever was best on the line or to try one the entrees that I didn't get with the main courses, and 2-4 more glasses to go with that. So that would be 10-12 glasses of milk. Finally, I'd go to the dessert bar and get another 2-4 glasses of milk to go with that. After dropping off my tray I had to get a soft serve to walk out with. So at a minimum, I drank 12 to 16 glasses of milk with every meal (3 times a day, 5 days a week) and a soft serve every time it was available.

I came into Clemson in 1976 in great shape at 6' and about 165lbs. After all I ate I left at about 175-180lbs and a lot more muscle (and if you're wondering, I had a 32" waist).

I'm glad can't eat like that now, but I did enjoy it at the time.

When My Dad would get on my case about the cost of sending me to Clemson, I would tell him:
"You may not be getting a great return on the academic part, but you're making a killing off of the meal plan!

Back then you could only go into Harcombe at certain times for each meal but the cost was about about $1.75 a meal. So I ate all that food for $2.15, and I rarely missed a mealtime at Harcombe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cookie break @ Harcombe

Jan 18, 2021, 7:11 PM

I was a chips and bug juice kind of snacker myself but I hear you.

I can't be the only juan that smuggled out a few

Jan 18, 2021, 7:23 PM

chicken fried steaks from that place, can I?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

I still remember the menu: Monday: Veal Cutlet

Jan 18, 2021, 7:25 PM

Tuesday: Breaded Veal Cutlet (Dreaded Veal Cutlet)

Or, as we liked to say, 1st Stage Mystery Meat, and 2nd Stage Mystery Meat.

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

same with hamburger patties... 1st day hamburgers, 2nd day

Jan 18, 2021, 8:16 PM

was "salisbury steak" which appeared to be just leftover patties swimming in gravy... or, another delicacy we called "chit under a shingle" which was a pattie draped over a scoop of something. LOL

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: I still remember the menu: Monday: Veal Cutlet

Jan 20, 2021, 7:58 AM [ in reply to I still remember the menu: Monday: Veal Cutlet ]

When I was at Clemson from 1970 to 1974, the food that looked the worst usually tasted the best to me. There was some gray colored rice pudding that I really liked. I also started liking chicken livers because they usually looked pretty bad at Harcombe.

Message was edited by: richmaja®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

Re: I can't be the only juan that smuggled out a few

Jan 18, 2021, 7:26 PM [ in reply to I can't be the only juan that smuggled out a few ]

Re: I can't be the only juan that smuggled out a few

Jan 18, 2021, 8:05 PM [ in reply to I can't be the only juan that smuggled out a few ]

guy on d-6 had a small refrigerator in his room,and we had access,so e took anything from the dining hall that was edible.no milk-lactose intolerant.could inflate the goodyear blimp,if i drank a glass.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I would take my old boy scout canteen under a coat and

Jan 18, 2021, 8:11 PM

fill it up with milk to take back to the room...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

I would kill for a bacon egg & cheese sandwich

Jan 18, 2021, 7:30 PM

From the old canteen.

Before they fancied it up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Re: I would kill for a bacon egg & cheese sandwich

Jan 18, 2021, 7:40 PM

I am from the early 70's and free food was always a pleasure. Only fast food place was Hardees across from Fike Field House. Seven day meal pass was the way to go if you did not go home every weekend. Cold pizza on a Sunday morning.

crushed a bunch of potato chips there ......

Jan 18, 2021, 7:41 PM

null

Met my future and always wife at Schileter Cookie Break our

Jan 18, 2021, 8:04 PM

sophomore year in 1982. Most expensive cookie break I ever attended and worth every penny I ever spent on Clemson!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or maybe Midnight Breakfast!

Jan 18, 2021, 8:13 PM

:)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Or maybe Midnight Breakfast!

Jan 18, 2021, 9:35 PM

I still like strawberries with waffles after all these years.

I remember drinking maybe 4 cups of coffee at midnight breakfast, returning to the dorm & sitting back down with my econ book, and falling asleep after less than half a page.

Jan 18, 2021, 9:15 PM

Do you remember the horrible seafood cutlet? Somehow it would always show up a few days after they served the whiting fish.
Yuk!!!!!!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jan 18, 2021, 9:29 PM

Awesome post!!! So many memories came flooding back not the least of which was the discovery freshman year I could eat all the dessert I wanted. The likely culprit for the freshman 15 that found me!

Jan 18, 2021, 10:04 PM

I gained 40 lbs my first semester at Clemson. I attended cookie break every day. My only regret was never having the stones to rush the soft serve machines with the RAs guarding them. That would have been a cookie break to tell my grandkids about.

OMG, how could I forget the soft serve machines?

Jan 19, 2021, 9:13 AM

Nobody was guarding them when I was there. Some guys had perfected the foot tall cone by the time we hit sophomore year. (I'd just make multiple trips, myself. No need to appear greedy.) :)

Jan 19, 2021, 7:32 PM

I hardly ever missed. We would plan our night around it.

Jan 19, 2021, 7:54 PM

Forgot all about cookie breaks. Ah the good times!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2021, 10:38 AM

...and there was always ONE person who would inevitably overheat their cookies in the microwave.

Does anyone still have a tray for snow days?***

Jan 20, 2021, 11:08 AM

Jan 20, 2021, 11:20 AM

I put on 30 lbs because of harcombe back in the day.

Jan 20, 2021, 11:51 AM

I remember being in line for midnight breakfast at Schilletter maybe 1980 or 81 and someone threw a dummy (the non-breathing kind) off the roof (or out of a very high level window?) of one of the high rises. That provoked a lot of different emotions to say the least!

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic