Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Convenient Excuse. Opting Out! Money!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 1,532

Convenient Excuse. Opting Out! Money!

Dec 11, 2020, 10:49 PM

As a football fan - I have to be honest - I watch more than My Tigers! I like the bowl games and I watch other teams play.
Very bummed to see all the teams opting out of bowl games! The way I see it - try and make it as normal as possible. A few of the bowls won't be putting them on - which I can understand. No crazy-loyal fans buying up suites for a week to support their team ahead of the bowl game going on. No tickets sales and restaurant boom that week or weekend!

I read on another site someone saying they felt kind of guilty enjoying the game when the players are "risking so much to entertain us"! My response was: "when did it change, because they have always risked so much to entertain us. CTE, broken bones, soft muscle tears, you name it! Like a car crash happening on every play! Difference now is that a virus that they routinely get tested for is in the mix.

How many more do you all think will cancel? With no clear financial gain - will they just say - nothing but the CFP? It wouldn't surprise me. You?
It also will not surprise me to see kids who "just don't want to do it"! Especially if you are say a Pac 12 team that's only played a handful of games! Their mindset would probably be like - "Why"! So, even if the bowl games go on - it could be a very watered down version of what it use to be. Covid-19 being the reason given. Many of the kids with NFL aspirations will not play - some had opted out of playing bowl games previous to Covid-19, but this year it will likely be 70% of draft eligible players "with a chance" that won't play in those games. Which will be a shame! Agree with me or are you all more: mehh, whatever?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Convenient Excuse. Opting Out! Money!

Dec 11, 2020, 11:37 PM

Most schools lose money when they go to bowls due to travel expenses, so I'm not at all surprised to see teams deciding not to go bowling.

Finances are really stretched at just about every school this year. I don't think many ADs want to lose more money by going to a low level bowl.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 1
| visibility 1,532
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic