Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
November 22, 1963.....A date etched into
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

November 22, 1963.....A date etched into

Nov 22, 2019, 7:29 AM

the memories for virtually all of us older Tigers.

I was 16 and in my history class at Rock Hill High School, when news of President Kennedy's shooting broke, and afterward, I ran to my French class, which had one of the few B&W TV sets. My teacher, Mrs. Carolyn Connelly, and I rushed to the TV, and as other students gathered, we saw the famous Walter Cronkite announcement of the President's death. We took our seats, and we wept.

After class I literally ran the several blocks home and was surprised to learn that my Mother, busy with housework, had not heard the news. Upon telling her we watched the news with her crying, "Now everyone's going to hate Texas!" (She was raised in south Texas.) In a pique I yelled, "No they won't. They'll hate the son-of-a-b*tch" that killed him!" Which prompted a hand slap and warning about my language.

Our family, as did most other Americans, remain transfixed to TV sets over the next few days in a state of sadness and shock with one of the most poignant scenes being little John Kennedy, Jr. saluting his Father's casket.

And the Clemson/South Carolina football game, originally scheduled for Saturday the 23rd and to be televised regionally by CBS, was postponed late that Friday night until Thanksgiving Day. The Clemson team, which had travelled to the Midlands, returned to CU late that night immediately after the postponement.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: November 22, 1963.....

Nov 22, 2019, 8:25 AM

Remember it well

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was in grade school. The teachers came in after lunch

Nov 22, 2019, 8:35 AM

and made a special request for all us kids to pray for the President, that he had been shot in Dallas. By the end of the day, they knew he was dead, but they didn't tell any of us, we had to wait until we got home to find out for sure on the news. For our household, that was Walter Cronkite, the only newsman my father trusted to tell the truth.

And, there is no way on God's Grren Earth that Oswald acted alone, if he even actually got shots off himself. Truth.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: November 22, 1963.....A date etched into

Nov 22, 2019, 8:42 AM

My parents had picked me up early that day at school for the drive down to Columbia for the big game.

We did not have the radio on as we drove, so we got no news for a couple of hours.

We learned about the situation from my Grandmother when we arrived.

Shocking ... !

Of course the game was called off (postponed til the next week).

Nobody cared about Clemson or Carolina football that year ...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2019, 9:34 AM

I will never forget this date. I was a junior at Clemson, and was hurrying to finish some lab work. Then I was going to hit the "bumming line" and head home to celebrate my 1st wedding anniversary ( married Nov. 22, 1962). Today Nov. 22, 2019 makes 57 years for us.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congratulations on 57 years

Nov 22, 2019, 9:56 AM

You obviously found a keeper. Happy Anniversary.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2019, 10:13 AM [ in reply to Re: November 22, 1963.....A date etched into ]

Congratulations and continued blessings !!!!!!!

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2019, 10:35 AM [ in reply to Re: November 22, 1963.....A date etched into ]

Happy Anniversary! My mom and dad dated 2 years and were married for 62. Sadly she passed away the last of January of this year. It’s been very hard on my dad. I was so blessed to be brought up in a loving Christian home with 2 fantastic parents.

Nov 22, 2019, 10:30 AM

Like the post because I am a big history buff. Thank you for sharing this post and engaging others to add to your post.

I believe President Kennedy could have changed the course of this country. He was going to take away some of the CIA’s powers ( a very good thing ), limit other government agencies and had some very conservative views. His only weakness Women! His assignation unfortunately left us with LBJ.

I'm afraid fewer & fewer are interested now...

Nov 22, 2019, 11:11 PM

Those of us who were around have very vivid memories of the killing of JFK (and Oswald, for that matter). All of it was shocking.

What I can't believe is that 56 years have passed. Likely for folks in their 20s, 30s, even 40s, it gets harder to relate. Now too, there is less & less special programming on & around the anniversary date. I guess it just doesn't "sell" well anymore.

One problem that affects the lessening interest is - it's never been solved. I'm sure a few people know exactly what happened but won't say, which leads me to believe it must be pretty bad (like an inside government "coup"). If it was the Soviets, why not just say so now? If it was Castro, just say it - he's gone. If it was a mob boss or two, just say it - they're all dead now.

If none of those, we're left with the lone nut Oswald, and maybe he was the one, but hard to believe since he was silenced within 2 days.

I tend to think bigger people or agencies (closer to home) were involved since we still don't know with any kind of certainty. Someone or some "thing" too embarrassing to reveal. Like Hoover, LBJ, the FBI, CIA, Secret Service - or some combination of those. Otherwise, after 56 years, just tell us. If it was an inside job (coup) - we'll either never know or it won't be revealed until we're 100 - 150 years removed from the event.

So many strange things occurred during and right after (like the hurried & botched autopsy at Bethesda), we've been asked or forced to swallow a lot that doesn't add up. Now, this far removed from it, I'm not sure we'd believe whatever the truth is IF they told us.

Has to be CIA related

Nov 23, 2019, 6:22 AM

Like you said all the other theories would’ve been revealed by now. I remember learning about this growing up and finding it very odd how the teachers and book couldn’t give us a straight answer as to what really happened.

Has to be CIA related

Nov 23, 2019, 6:22 AM [ in reply to I'm afraid fewer & fewer are interested now... ]

Like you said all the other theories would’ve been revealed by now. I remember learning about this growing up and finding it very odd how the teachers and book couldn’t give us a straight answer as to what really happened.

Nov 23, 2019, 1:59 AM

I was having my 4th birthday . . and remember stuff going on watching TV.

Born in 87 so idk as much as most of you

Nov 23, 2019, 7:01 AM

But I do know it was one of the most despicable acts I have ever seen.

Handled even worse by the Warren Commission. Magic bullet theory.

In no way we this man a role model for me but he was our elected president and the way he was assassinated was sickening.

Did my thesis on Jack in high school and the information out there is so complex that it would drive an investigator crazy. Thanks Jim Garrisson for at least trying. Oswald was a Patsy just like he said he was.

Born in 87 so idk as much as most of you

Nov 23, 2019, 7:01 AM

But I do know it was one of the most despicable acts I have ever seen.

Handled even worse by the Warren Commission. Magic bullet theory.

In no way we this man a role model for me but he was our elected president and the way he was assassinated was sickening.

Did my thesis on Jack in high school and the information out there is so complex that it would drive an investigator crazy. Thanks Jim Garrisson for at least trying. Oswald was a Patsy just like he said he was.

0% chance it was Oswald

Nov 23, 2019, 7:33 AM

And it’s insulting to the intelligence of the American people that that was the pushed story

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic