Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Colts GM gushes about WR Deon Cain
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Colts GM gushes about WR Deon Cain

Jul 25, 2019, 6:54 AM

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player-news/headlines/9140781

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Colts GM gushes about WR Deon Cain

Jul 25, 2019, 7:00 AM

He is going to be a great one. He would have been a first or second rounder if he would have had someone who could throw the deep ball.

No he wouldn’t have

Jul 25, 2019, 7:20 AM

Between the weed and drop issues, he would be a Day 3 pick. Not enough college production, still a work in progress, some off field concerns, and unsure hands.

He can still be good in the NFL and the longer he spends as a WR the faster he will improve, but all of those factors wouldn’t have significantly improved his draft stock.

Re: No he wouldn’t have

Jul 25, 2019, 7:28 AM

He didnt have the college production due to KB. The weed one time deal would have been a non factor. He is a stud. He would have been a lock for the 2nd round with a better QB who could throw the deep ball. When it was his time to be the man, he had KB at the helm. It was the polar opposite of what he needed.

With or without KB at QB

Jul 25, 2019, 7:38 AM

He’s still not a 1st or 2nd rounder. He would’ve been a project WR with plus athleticism that still needed a good bit of development.

Martavis Bryant was a 3rd rounder if memory serves correct and he was more athletic, more polished, and had more production. Zero chance Cain would go before Bryant even with TL as a QB year 3.

Re: With or without KB at QB

Jul 25, 2019, 7:46 AM

You're clueless. You will watch him shine in the NFL.

Success in the NFL has no bearing on when he would be drafted

Jul 25, 2019, 7:50 AM

He was a converted HS QB who was raw as a WR and needed a lot of development but had good upside. That’s why he was drafted at all.

I’m very confident I know more about the NFL draft and scouting process than you are and you’ve yet to refute any points I’ve made with actual facts instead of a hypothetical of what if he didn’t have KB as his QB.

Re: Success in the NFL has no bearing on when he would be drafted

Jul 25, 2019, 7:52 AM

He was a 5 star recruit and the number 2 WR in the nation out of HS. Youre clueless.

And all 5 stars turn out to live up to their potential, right?

Jul 25, 2019, 7:56 AM

I can assure you NFL scouts care very little about HS rankings

Re: And all 5 stars turn out to live up to their potential, right?

Jul 25, 2019, 8:18 AM

Yep they look for performance. Hence why I said that KB killed him. Deon will end up being the number 2 WR next to TY Hilton within a year. He was a stud whose talents were hidden due to a QB who ran too much and couldnt throw the deep ball.

Re: And all 5 stars turn out to live up to their potential, right?

Jul 25, 2019, 8:53 AM

KB completed 65% of his passes in 2017 (same as TL in 2018), for 2800 yds and 7 YPA. Those are solid college numbers. He wasn’t the best passer but he also wasn’t completely incapable and there were plenty of stats to be had for what you say is a top 2 round WR.

Cain caught 50+ balls for 750 yds and 6 TD’s as a junior. That’s also decent production.

For reference, Tee caught 59 balls for 950 yds and 12 TD’s last year.

Before you say “well Tee is going to be a first rounder!” Tee is also a much more prototypical receiver body and has a lot more polish.

Jul 25, 2019, 8:33 AM [ in reply to With or without KB at QB ]

Martavis was also behind Sammy and Nuk.. Deon would have been the main guy.

Jul 25, 2019, 8:50 AM

Yep, and he carried a little luggage from his time at Clemson. He was in Dabo's dog house on and off his entire college career.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2019, 11:38 AM [ in reply to With or without KB at QB ]

MB was not any more athletic or polished. He was doing really good in the NFL until his immaturity got the better of him. Both MB and DC were overshadowed by great receivers. MB had Sammy and Nuk) whereas DC had Mike Williams and a legit TE in Jorden Leggett. Now I would say had they both waited another year MB would have gone up to at least to the second round because he would have been the primary target because of Mike Williams injury to start the season. If I recall MB was a 4th round pick as it was not a 3rd round pick. But I also believe that Deon would have gone up as well because he would have been the primary receiver last year at least initially.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This just isn’t true

Jul 25, 2019, 11:57 AM

MB beat or matched all of Cain’s combine results except a slightly slower 3 cone with an extra 2 inches and 10 pounds.

Let's just declare you right...

Jul 25, 2019, 12:04 PM

And move on. You're not accepting anyone's opinion other than your own.

That said...pretending KB-like abilities at QB would ensure Clemson's continued 'crown' of WRU, is simply absurd. 80% of his completions were within 5 yards of the LOS. I exaggerate, solely to make the point. Regardless...you're right...carry it with you.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2019, 7:53 AM [ in reply to No he wouldn’t have ]

Although I do agree with you about his drop issues, remember kelvin Benjamin led the NCAA in drops the year he declared and he was a first rounder. Brashaud perriman led the NCAA in drops the year he declared and was a first rounder, and Sammie Coates led the NCAA in drops the year he declared and was a third rounder.

Those are fair stats

Jul 25, 2019, 7:58 AM

But drops are about all you can compare Benjamin and Perriman to Cain for. Both were much higher producers in college. Benjamin was even downright dominant in that 2013 season (he caught a TD right in my face that was thrown way too high in a game I prefer not to speak about in 2013).

Coates is probably the best comparison and he was still a 3rd round pick.

Jul 25, 2019, 8:27 AM [ in reply to No he wouldn’t have ]

Just stop with the "weed" thing. What pick was Sammy? Oh that's right

Comparing Sammy as an NFL prospect to Cain

Jul 25, 2019, 8:40 AM

is equivalent of comparing Dabo as a football coach to myself. They’re not even in the same stratosphere. Their only common traits were a pot incident and they played at Clemson. That’s pretty much where the comps stop

Re: Comparing Sammy as an NFL prospect to Cain

Jul 25, 2019, 8:47 AM

You're missing the point, bud. You are arguing that the weed thing hindered his draft stock. I simply pointed out that Sammy Watkins also had a weed incident, mind you he was even ARRESTED. Deon failed a drug test. But Sammy was still selected as #4 overall so your argument immediately went down the drain

I said the weed thing was part of it, chief

Jul 25, 2019, 8:56 AM

Combine that with how raw he was, decent not great production, lack of route tree, drop issues, and you get a late round draft pick. But thanks for playing anyway. Maybe that’ll get your pulse above 60

Re: Comparing Sammy as an NFL prospect to Cain

Jul 25, 2019, 12:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Comparing Sammy as an NFL prospect to Cain ]

Sammy has a weed issue? I was thinking it was a couple of pills that he used to keep him awake. For the drive home to Fl when school was out. Something along those lines. Am I mistaken?

Siding with BAT here. Cain was pretty much a one trick

Jul 25, 2019, 8:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Colts GM gushes about WR Deon Cain ]

pony with drop issues and some off-the-field issues. His ceiling was mid-rounder.

Jul 25, 2019, 8:32 AM

He will be a stud. He was hindered by KB.

Deon and Ray Ray both had better stats as back ups w/ Deshaun throwing the ball then they had w/ KB as featured WR's

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2019, 8:48 AM

Hilton and Cain will give the Colts and Luck a lot of yardage and TDs over the course of their time together in Indianapolis .
Funchess will be gone at the end of next season and Cain is a better WR and o erall athlete than Parris Campbell .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jul 25, 2019, 9:00 AM

Agreed and let's summarize this debate by the subject matter. He's healthy, and in position to have a nice pro career.
Go get em Deon! Add another Tiger WR to the list of current pro success.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic