Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
College football player stipends.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,498

College football player stipends.

Oct 9, 2020, 10:32 PM

I am surprised when the conversation about players not getting paid, they never mention the players stipends. This is money paid after Tuition, Room, Board, books, athletic clothes and suits, plus free healthcare, and includes 4-6 tix per player during normal years which they can offer to family, friends or sell at home games. This normal number is worth $45k-70k on average based on school and cost of living in the area.

But then there are Stipends paid to players that is free money. Tennessee currently pays the most at $630/mo for free expenditures. Florida St. is the highest in the ACC at about $600 per month, followed by Louisville, VA, then Clemson. Clemson is around $460/month. South Carolina pays more than Clemson which I think they rank around 10-12. Clemson is around 15-18th for monthly Stipends.

That said, I know we are in for huge change, very scared this will change College Football forever. Since it will be reimbursements for likeness, ads, social media reimbursement, etc., the schools with huge alumni association will give players huge income advantages. How could Clemson compete with schools like Texas, Texas A&M, Bama, or even a school like UCF that has the largest attendance of all public schools. UCF could become a recruiting Goliath or Nightmare overnight due to immediate return to players monetarily strictly due to Alumni numbers and not the schools with best coaches or potential futures.

I can see the tides swing immediately in 1-2yrs because you know when recruiting mentors talk about social media income influence, kids will make the wrong decisions when $ signs get flashed. I expect the whole experience to get so corrupt that we lose the game as we know it!!!

Fingers Crossed!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: College football player stipends.

Oct 9, 2020, 11:12 PM

I've been screaming that for years. And, that stipend is on top of what they receive from their Pell Grants (if they are eligible).

"Paying" these kids because they can't afford to buy a pizza is a lie of major proportions.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2020, 11:26 PM

Yes you can add as much as another $6300 per year with a Pell Grant on top of the stipends.

Oct 9, 2020, 11:41 PM

Don't forget to add in the access to state of the art training facilities and programs. Also, the value added from coaching, position, DC/OC and head coach.

Oct 10, 2020, 12:17 AM

You mention, but also include the paid for tudors.

But if their income moves forward, do they then have to pay taxes? If so, how many kids leave college owing thousands, how about the kids that are mid-tier and just want what is provided today but now they have to pay taxes, while the top kids leave with millions, mid-guys dont get drafted and they owe taxes for $50k per year. How are they gonna pay? It's gonna be a chit-show. Kids will need boosters to pay taxes. What about Baseball, soccer, and basketball. No way a basketball player at Clemson will get the attention of a player at Duke.

Huge problems ahead!

In marches the IRS.***

Oct 10, 2020, 12:21 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2020, 7:52 AM [ in reply to Re: College football player stipends. ]

Come on now. Taxes are witheld from checks for a reason. If all this nonsense actually starts I feel fairly certain there will be guidance or taxes withheld. Thus no "owing." And since there is no tax effect for current scholarships unless you receive said income there would be no need for taxation of income. I am most certainly NOT in favor of paying college athletes and since this seems to be typically focused on football I say put the onus on the NFL to create their own minor league system so players who want to make money can have that way. Or they can go to college and get what they are currently getting.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2020, 10:11 AM

Well, I agree that I wish NFL would create a minor league to help maintain the integrity of the student-athlete (college football). But to suggest that the "onus" is on the NFL? That will never happen for those reasons especially if kids can make money in college. The only reason NFL would make that venture is for revenue.

As far as taxes, as soon as kids make checks from alternative sources not affiliated with school, they will be responsible for taxes. If they are paid from Jersey sales, then I would have to assume the percentage comes from Athletic department, and if so you would think all other expenses would have to be taxed. Seems to me the Paw Journey will likely have another dept based around financial and tax education just to keep players out tax evasion.

Then add in Title IX laws. There is no way schools could promise gender equality when it comes to sports.

Just so many avenues for this to turn into bad scenarios.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,498
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic