Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
College football and draft
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 990

College football and draft

Jul 28, 2020, 1:26 PM

I have heard that the nfl would not change their draft to accommodate college football if we play in the spring.

IMO if we played in the spring they would if the season went into late June. I don’t see at least 224 sitting out for the possibility of the draft. And those would have to be the top 224. Yes , of course TL16 and ENT might but they would be the exception. Many players need this seasons body of work. Would LSU gb sit out if this was last year?

Maybe the nfl would do what baseball does. They draft during the World Series and players finish the season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: College football and draft

Jul 28, 2020, 3:41 PM

Not everyone who thinks they'll get drafted will sit out, but most of the so called "first round locks" would likely sit out. Would be good for the younger guys to get experience on the top teams, and would probably create some parity and upset potential during the season. IMO, to make it work, the NCAA would have to grant waivers to allow players to play and be drafted, even if the draft were to happen before the end of the season.

Some guys that I think would sit out a spring season:
Clemson: Trevor and ETN
Ohio St: Justin Fields, potentially Olave/others?
LSU: Ja'Marr Chase
Oregon: Penei Sewell
Bama: Patrick Surtain, Dylan Moses, Jaylen Waddle/DeVonta Smith?, potential handful of others
Penn State: Micah Parsons

and probably 15-20 others across the country... Guys like Chuba Hubbard who had a great year last year, and would probably get just as much value out of training hard for 8 months leading up to the draft, than running all over the defenseless Big12 again, and risking injury.

Hard to say, but I think it would really water down the NCAA season, especially for the top teams.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2020, 3:50 PM

I don't think the NFL would change their draft based on a "what if" situation of college football possibly changing their season. I do think though that if the college football season were played in the Spring and ended in May or June that the NFL would change their stance on moving the draft.

As far as how that would impact players sitting out games. I personally don't think a star player on a playoff contender would sit out the season. I could see a situation similar to Bosa a few years back where a star player gets hurt and is going to miss 2-3 months anyway and decides to just shut it down. I do see players expecting to be drafted in the 1st round perhaps deciding to shut things down once their team is out of the title picture which would mean a record breaking number of players sitting out bowl games.

Jul 29, 2020, 7:17 AM

I agree that the NFL has no reason to respond to “what ifs”

But let’s play this fall!

Replies: 3
| visibility 990
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic