Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
College Athlete's Compensation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

College Athlete's Compensation

Mar 17, 2014, 11:39 AM

Well now we have one of our own involved in the discussion about proper compensation for "Student Athletes".

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/10620388/anti-trust-claim-filed-jeffrey-kessler-challenges-ncaa-amateur-model

I say revoke his scholarship, since it is renewed yearly. Then lets see if he has a problem with compensation!

I have no sympathy for them. They are getting a free education, housing, and meals. What else should they receive? I came out of college with $45,000 in student loans. This while working 30+ hours a week and doing a work study.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They get private tutoring, and a small stipend as well.***

Mar 17, 2014, 11:42 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

They get neither. Both of those are NCAA violations.***

Mar 17, 2014, 7:22 PM

Yes they get special tutoring and extra one-on-one time than

Mar 18, 2014, 1:34 PM

a normal student, and it isn't an NCAA violation.

They also get stipends for room & board...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Revoke his scholarship? Seriously?

Mar 17, 2014, 11:45 AM

That wouldn't come back to bite us at all.

They are actively suing...***

Mar 17, 2014, 11:50 AM

And that would be actively retaliating***

Mar 17, 2014, 11:53 AM

Re: College Athlete's Compensation- WOW

Mar 17, 2014, 11:51 AM

nice try coot. Quit trying to tell us what to do though

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's what you dirtpeckers

Mar 17, 2014, 12:05 PM

do in cootville...

Re: That's what you dirtpeckers

Mar 17, 2014, 1:48 PM

Great response! Glad you could add some insightful information. Dumbazz!

By the way...My grandfather, father, brother, myself, and wife went to Clemson so don't try and question my loyalty. Unless you are in your late 40s - 50s, I probably have forgotten more about Clemson sports than you have ever known. How about your lineage?

Re: That's what you dirtpeckers

Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 PM

f off moron.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Compensation

Mar 17, 2014, 12:08 PM

Also, many atheletes receive Pell Grants in addition
to their scholarships.

Re: Compensation

Mar 17, 2014, 2:36 PM

We gave out lots of "Pell" grants in 1977-78 or so ... ;)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is nothing wrong with asking your boss for a raise***

Mar 17, 2014, 12:09 PM

Try suing your boss for a raise***

Mar 17, 2014, 2:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't believe the point is that they get nothing...

Mar 17, 2014, 12:23 PM

I'm sure they would not argue that they get nothing.

The point is that they only get an extremely small fraction of the amount of money that they generate for the university (which can be in the millions).

Also, they are not allowed to generate any revenue on their own related to their own talents and image.

I'm sure it ties to Jenkins' being an aspiring musician

Mar 17, 2014, 12:33 PM

He isn't currently allowed to sell any of his music or be paid to perform

And that is patently ridiculous, and un-American, IMO.***

Mar 17, 2014, 12:40 PM

Until some booster finds a loophole

Mar 17, 2014, 1:52 PM

and (insert rival schools best player here) can't carry a tune in a bucket but (insert rival school booster name here) gives him a $500,000 advance on a crappy future itunes download.

Ahhh, but yes he can

Mar 17, 2014, 3:56 PM [ in reply to I'm sure it ties to Jenkins' being an aspiring musician ]

he just has to give up the scholarship contract.

I went to school on academic scholarships

Mar 18, 2014, 1:31 PM

I could've released an album (not that anyone would've bought it) and not given up my scholarships. Why shouldn't athletic scholarships be the same?

If they were allowed to generate revenue on their own

Mar 17, 2014, 12:40 PM [ in reply to I don't believe the point is that they get nothing... ]

based on their talents and image...

You might as well make them all professional athletes with "free agent" status.

What would stop the wealthy alumni at places like Bama and Texas from paying a player a "small" fee to be on his auto dealerships billboard? Even if the "small" fee is way over market value (and directly proportional to the number of QB sacks he has).

NCAA football is already an "arms race" in terms of locker rooms, facilities, etc.

if you make all of the athletes professional, we would need a salary cap to keep the games competitive.

My take

Mar 17, 2014, 12:47 PM

This issue is one in which the principle (with which I agree) will kill the endeavor (which saddens me). I'm a pretty firm believer in the market determining the value of effort, and that means if I hold that as a principle then student-athletes should be able to pursue the money, playing time, etc that rewards their efforts. But it takes a blind man not to realize that will quickly kill college athletics as we know it. There is little to no monetary return on the majority of collegiate athletics, and if we are forced (by a principle I' agreeing with) to pay athletes their market value then all but 1 or 2 programs at each school will quickly find a total lack of funding.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Outstanding post. Pretty much sums up the debate for me.***

Mar 17, 2014, 12:49 PM

I still find it ridiculous that a college and the NCAA can

Mar 17, 2014, 2:20 PM [ in reply to My take ]

rake in MILLIONS of $$$ on a kid's image and performance, but the one who actually owns said image can't even get a free dinner. While I know it will kill college sports, I find it disgusting that people are making cash off other people who have the RIGHT to sell their OWN image revoked so that the prevailing institutions can continue to make BANK at the person's expense.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson football does not give any money (to speak of)

Mar 17, 2014, 3:50 PM

to Clemson Academics.

You suggest that Clemson's Athletic Dept is making big bucks off of the student athlete.

The head coach, and some assistant coaches, are the only ones making big bucks off of the student athletes.

I would agree that the track, tennis, etc. student athletes do get a ride on the backs the football players.

Re: My take

Mar 17, 2014, 3:06 PM [ in reply to My take ]

All this talk about the American way and capitalism is great. However let's be honest. ... most of these high profile athletes wouldn't sniff college under real rules.

If they start paying players, I would sue the school over discriminatory admittance procedures.

Clemson turns down 1000's of kids who actually earned the right to attend an academic institution through academics.

The real issue isn't schools. These kids should continue to sue the pros.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re:let them sign with the pros out of high school. A lot

Mar 17, 2014, 6:15 PM

of them only take up space and deprive another deserving young man or woman a chance at an education.

would title 9 get into the debate here? that will shoot down

Mar 17, 2014, 6:24 PM

most attempts at compensation, because there is no way any womens' sport can pay for themselves (and i actually watch some womens ' softball due to neices playing.)
someone with more legal knowledge than i, would have the answer'i'm sure.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic