Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cole Stoudt/Chad Morris
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 99
| visibility 1

Cole Stoudt/Chad Morris

Aug 2, 2015, 12:32 AM

Am I the only one who thinks that Chad intentionally called a game where Cole would not thrive?

I have read where Chad wanted Watson to be the starter from day 1 (and I do agree). But Dabo wanted to give Cole the shot due to seniority. Which lead to issues with Dabo and The Chad.

Take a moment to reflect on last season when thinking on this. I know Cole had some shoulder injury issues, but what a complete 180 for Cole to have such high praise prior to the season. Show up against UGA and drive down the field on our first possession to score a TD, and then to have the poor season he had.

Next, take a look at the Oklahoma game. The Chad is gone and it seems Tony Elliott calls a more favorable game to Cole's strengths, and Cole does a dang good job (along with coaching from Brandon Streeter).

Does anyone else question this? Just seems like The Chad wanted to make a point that Cole should not be the starter over Deshaun, which ultimately cost us 1-2 games.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think Chad intentionally cost us wins

Aug 2, 2015, 12:38 AM

I do think that he was hellbent on running his O, no matter who was at QB, and I don't think Cole was a good fit for it. Elliot and Scott adjusted the plan to fit Cole's strengths, and he thrived.

Re: I don't think Chad intentionally cost us wins

Aug 2, 2015, 12:46 AM

I agree with you. But I believe to be the best you have to adjust to what you have. With recruiting you can recruit "your guy", meaning a guy to fit your scheme. Yet, if the best current option does not technically fit your scheme, you HAVE to adjust and do what is best with that particular players strengths.

This would have been a better premise than suggesting...

Aug 2, 2015, 10:25 AM

...he purposely cost us wins.

Did he adjust w/ Cole, arguably not...most agree.

To say someone got away w/ purposefully trying to hurt the team is idiocy and full of feathers.

Nice try though.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

No adjustments would have made Stoudt played good...

Aug 2, 2015, 6:54 PM

He just didn't have the talent to play at the FBS level. He had no arm and no accuracy. He was a Billy Napier hold over, who for some weird reason kept on getting chances after playing extremely poor.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You didn't think he played well against Oklahoma ?

Aug 2, 2015, 8:25 PM

Hard to accurately assign credit or blame, but there is no question that Cole Stoudt was a different player in the bowl and it proved that he certainly could play at a high level.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't say he played bad in the game against OU...

Aug 2, 2015, 11:21 PM

He wasn't good (as in career wise, not one game). Get over it, move on.

Re: This would have been a better premise than suggesting...

Aug 2, 2015, 11:17 PM [ in reply to This would have been a better premise than suggesting... ]

I did not say that Chad intentionally lost a game. But did Chad and Dabo have a disagreement regarding who they wanted at QB? The answer is definitely yes.

Deshaun should have been the starter from day 1 IMO.

But my point is his play calling could have been adjusted to better suit Cole while he was in the game.

Re: I don't think Chad intentionally cost us wins

Aug 2, 2015, 1:39 AM [ in reply to I don't think Chad intentionally cost us wins ]

> I do think that he was hellbent on running his O, no
> matter who was at QB
, and I don't think Cole was a
> good fit for it. Elliot and Scott adjusted the plan
> to fit Cole's strengths, and he thrived.

this is the correct answer. he was either to stupid or to stubborn to game-plan to Stoudt's strengths and it was plainly obvious after watching the OKL game.

The play calling in the bowl game was the same as it was...

Aug 2, 2015, 6:52 PM [ in reply to I don't think Chad intentionally cost us wins ]

all season. Stoudt's only strength was throwing short sideline passes.

Re: The play calling in the bowl game was the same as it was...

Aug 2, 2015, 8:04 PM

BUT, it was very effective!!!!!!!!!!

You might want to go back and watch the bowl again ...***

Aug 2, 2015, 8:28 PM [ in reply to The play calling in the bowl game was the same as it was... ]

Don't need to it was mostly short passes, which is what....

Aug 2, 2015, 8:34 PM

Stoudt was throwing all throughout the season. He was just more accurate against OU. Wasn't any play calling difference. Stoudt was actually hitting open receivers and not throwing it into double or triple coverage, that's the main difference.

You said Cole just didn't have the talent or ability ...

Aug 2, 2015, 8:50 PM

I said he obviously did and he proved it in the bowl. He made big league throws in that game.

Just a couple of examples from the third quarter: He laid one right in Hopper's pocket for long TD ...... and he hit Peake on another one down the middle for a long gain. And both times Stoudt was crushed as he released the ball.

If you want to say that many of his passes were short, okay, but he certainly hit some long ones as well.

Fact is, he made excellent decisions and he was money on pretty much every pass he threw in the bowl game.

Why didn't he do that all year?? I don't know ... but it wasn't for lack of talent or ability.

Give it up, Stoudt didn't work out...

Aug 2, 2015, 11:19 PM

one good game in a career doesn't prove anything. Even when he played up in mop up time backing up Tajh, he didn't show anything talent wise. He always struggled throwing in the middle of the field, often throwing the ball right to defenders.

Re: Cole Stoudt/Chad Morris

Aug 2, 2015, 12:42 AM

I don't think Chad wanted Cole to look bad or for Clemson to lose any games. But with all the talent we had on O last season, some of our games like the Cuse game. The Chad did not do a real good job play calling.

Aug 2, 2015, 1:13 AM

There was numerous times when I was surprised with some of the play calls while Cole was playing.

i was WAY pleasantly surprised

Aug 2, 2015, 1:21 AM

by cole's performance against Oklahoma. so it does kinda make ya go "hmmmm" just a bit.

Not really, when you see that he was throwing the same...

Aug 2, 2015, 6:57 PM

short pass plays that Morris had been calling all year. He was just more accurate in the bowl game.

He was much better in the bowl under new guidance. Why?

Aug 3, 2015, 9:16 AM

Against Oklahoma, he threw short passes, medium passes, and long passes with remarkable accuracy.

He was practically flawless in all aspects of the game.

Prior to the bowl game, he had been mediocre at best and a liability at worst.

Then he became poised, confident, and highly effective.

What changed?

The coaching changed. That is what changed.***

Aug 3, 2015, 9:30 AM

And "This" is your first post!?

Aug 2, 2015, 1:37 AM

How was the variation accepted and talked about on FGF?

Re: And "This" is your first post!?

Aug 2, 2015, 9:47 PM

This was not my first post. I have posted 1 or 2 times prior. I do not post here or on Tiger Illustrated for this very purpose. Idiots like you who call "coot" to every legitimate post make people not want to post.

I am not saying that Chad wanted to lose at Clemson. I am very grateful for what he did while he was here. The purpose of this thread was to see if other Tiger fans thought that Chad did not make in game adjustments given who he had.

If I have a player who I know threw 2 interceptions in 3 passes against Georgia Tech, why do I allow him to throw over the middle against Scar right at halftime? Why not adjust your play calling to best fit who is running your offense?

Or is it that Chad was, per prior posts, hell bent on running his offense?

Re: And "This" is your first post!?

Aug 8, 2015, 4:54 PM

Idiot?

and exactly who called you a coot?

In your reply to me I see your logic... Ad Hominem ... I personally have suffered this at Willy B.

So what else do you have to say?

Aug 2, 2015, 1:46 AM

I feel that way also, but more so than you expressed it in your post. Then again, I think that you are more on the softer side of this conversation than you would have been if you weren't speaking of it on T-Net.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 2, 2015, 1:46 AM

What ways did the offense change? I think it's funny when ppl say Scott and Elliot changed the offense to fit Cole's strengths, how exactly did they do that? By getting the ball out of Cole's hands quick, just like Chad tried to do.

Nobody complained ab Morris's game plan when we won. Imagine that. Can't believe that guy couldn't be perfect and undefeated

By the way, it was obvious to everyone Cole was not a big time QB. No business being the QB of that team, I understand Watson was injured and he had to play but when he was healthy, Cole should have never touched the field.

Aug 2, 2015, 1:58 AM

Do you think that DW4 would have had a better red shirt season over a true freshman season. His redshirt season he would have been stronger and in better shape for the college game like he is now except more so. He has gotten the way he is now while nursing and rehabilitating ACL surgery. Last season cost us two QB's in one season. One will have a second chance after getting himself into college FB playing shape!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 2, 2015, 11:07 PM

Players like Deshaun do not come to a school to redshirt. He is an elite talent and we will be lucky to keep him 4 years!

I think it was a few things

Aug 2, 2015, 1:51 AM

I do think Chad may have been a little stubborn in his play calling with Cole at QB but i also think he was limited on what he could do. Other than the first half against GA, a few decent moments during the season and the Oklahoma game, Cole just wasn't what we expected him to be. His accuracy wasn't consistent and his decision making was very questionable but to his credit, he was playing injured just about the whole season. Also, our running game wasn't consistent and struggled throughout the season. If it wasn't for our defense we could of easily lost another game or 2. Imo, we should place some of the blame on the coaching staff/Chad Morris. Within the 4 yrs he was here, he should of been able to get another QB who fits his system better. I know we cant blame our coaches with what happened with Kelly but why couldn't we of got someone else? Is it bc of a promise we made to Watson? I really think we could/should of got another QB (other than Schuessler and the guy from Stanford) in maybe the 2012 or 2013 class. It really hurt us last year and could potentially hurt us again this year. So to answer your question, imo i think it was the lack of quality depth at QB more than it was Stoudt or Morris as the reason for the offensive struggles

Chad was out for Chad.

Aug 2, 2015, 2:46 AM

He didn't give a chit about anything but getting a raise, making a name for himself and finding the highest paying HCing job he could. Let's watch his career and see if I'm right.

I'm not sure if Chad was obstinate or just ignorant and couldn't call plays which fit Cole's talent. I don't think there's a soul here who had any idea Cole could have a game like the OU game. If anyone should have known it should have been Chad. He was supposed to be 'The Quarterback's Coach.'

I'm just glad the summbich is off torturing somebody's else's players and calling every AD in the country when there's a coaching opening at their school, instead of mine.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't hold back!

Aug 2, 2015, 6:03 AM

Tell us how you really feel!

??

Tiger/Terrier

Everybody is a critic.

Aug 2, 2015, 12:04 PM

I call Clemson fans who spend time criticizing Clemson coaches a-holes. I mean really. You got a cheap seat in the stands and you can spot flaws in the fellow making a million and winning 40 games over 4 years? Give me a freaking break.

Teddy Roosevelt said it more eloquently and with fewer profane words than I'd say it. But here's the sentiment:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

sticks and stones....

Aug 2, 2015, 9:48 PM

Look, they get paid a crap load of $, so they chose this profession and thus will be criticized or lauded depending on how well they do. One thing I will do my best to not do is criticize a player who is failing.

The players are not getting paid handsomely. They are trying their damnedest. If things are not working, blame those who are getting paid to recruit and who decide who is on the field. If the coaches put a kid on the field who is unable to get it done, it is 100% the coach's fault. No one else's.

O coordinator is responsible for all decisions on the offense. Recruiting decisions, recruiting results, game planning, coaching, play calling, et al.

It is that simple really.

I tend to agree with you...

Aug 2, 2015, 7:36 AM [ in reply to Chad was out for Chad. ]

I pointed out the issue seemed to be with Chad way before the Cole situation just based on his recruiting gaps on the O line and the placing of his eggs in Kelly and not seeing the high potential of Kelly imploding character-wise.

Re: I tend to agree with you...

Aug 2, 2015, 8:03 AM

Dabo ultimately has the final say about the finalization of a commitment. Chad may have been more disturbed by the swag incident than we'll ever know.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are some serious 'black helicopter' kind of guys...

Aug 2, 2015, 10:24 AM

...lol.

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: You are some serious 'black helicopter' kind of guys...

Aug 2, 2015, 12:25 PM

I've worn this tin foil hat long enough.

Hey, it is hard to argue with the evidence...***

Aug 2, 2015, 12:33 PM [ in reply to You are some serious 'black helicopter' kind of guys... ]

your whack-a-doo theory is evidence?***

Aug 2, 2015, 12:37 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

let's see...

Aug 2, 2015, 12:45 PM

1) Did we put all of our eggs in the Chad Kelly QB basket and thus have no alternative other than a true freshmn or Cole for QB last year when Kelly, who gave us plenty of signals along the way that he was a risk to implode character-wise at some point? Who was in charge of recruiting the offensive players?

2) Did we always struggle with our O-line quality? Who was in charge of recruiting the offensive players?

3) Did Chad Morris adjust his game plan for Cole or just try to force Cole to play his offense regardless of his abilities and strengths? I think the Oklahoma game shows you it wasn't just a Cole problem.

Did Morris force Dabo to not take a QB if DW committed?

Aug 2, 2015, 12:49 PM

Was Chad EVER RC?

The GT game debunks that theory.

Aug 2, 2015, 1:18 PM

Plus the gameplan wasnt that much different between the two. The difference was one QB was very talented and the other wasnt and made poor decisions

See Oklahoma game for difference b/w the Chad

Aug 2, 2015, 9:34 PM

And not the Chad preparing for and calling the game.

Same type of plays were called in the OU game that were...

Aug 2, 2015, 10:04 PM

called for Stoudt the whole season.

Amazing what happened when Morris was not there***

Aug 2, 2015, 10:20 PM

Re: Amazing what happened when Morris was not there***

Aug 2, 2015, 10:31 PM

Nice try huffercoot

Yes he did... He was the OC and had that power.***

Aug 2, 2015, 9:32 PM [ in reply to Did Morris force Dabo to not take a QB if DW committed? ]

Stoudt didn't have talent to play at the FBS level, and....

Aug 2, 2015, 6:58 PM [ in reply to Chad was out for Chad. ]

Chad Morris loved Clemson.

Never said Morris didn't love Clemson...

Aug 2, 2015, 9:35 PM

He just loved Chad more. And Cole was good enought to beat Oklahoma, who is ranked higher than us then and now.

wasn't mentioning you, my reply was to ClemsonTiger1988***

Aug 2, 2015, 10:05 PM

Get over it, still upset that your were wrong about bowl

Aug 8, 2015, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Stoudt didn't have talent to play at the FBS level, and.... ]

game, when Stoudt had an appropriate QB coach to help him shine out instead of Morris who gave up on him. Sour Grapes leave a bad taste in your mouth for sure - get some mouthwash!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 2, 2015, 5:57 AM

Drive by coot stirring the pot. Non issue.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 2, 2015, 11:12 PM

How about read the thread and actually use your brain to reflect on the instances I mentioned before you make such a stupid comment.

People like you who immediately use the "coot" response should just disregard yourself from discussions when a valid question is asked.

Wow

Aug 2, 2015, 6:26 AM

• Coached Clemson’s young offense to over 400 yards per game in 2014 before accepting the head-coaching position at Southern Methodist in December 2014.

• Clemson had a 41-11 overall record and 27-6 record against ACC teams in his four seasons in Tigertown.

• Named 2013 AFCA National Assistant Coach-of-the-Year and one of five finalists for national offensive coordinator-of-the-year by 247Sports.com.

• Clemson’s 2013 offense averaged 507.7 yards per game and 40.2 points per game.

• Coached Tajh Boyd to nearly every school record for a quarterback and the ACC record for both career touchdown responsibility (133) and career passing touchdowns (107). Boyd was also a three-time All-ACC selection.

• Coached first-team All-America wide receiver and Biletnikoff Award finalist Sammy Watkins to a school-record 101 receptions for a school-record 1,464 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2013.

• Directed Clemson’s offense to record heights in 2012. The team set school records for total offense per game (512.7) and points per game (41.0). Clemson was sixth in the nation in scoring and ninth in the nation in total offense.

• Boyd, who was a first-team All-American in 2012, was fifth in the nation in passing efficiency (165.6) and accounted for 46 touchdowns (10 rushing, 36 passing). Boyd was also named ACC Player-of-the-Year in 2012.

• Running back Andre Ellington and wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins both totaled 1,000 yards at their respective positions in 2012. Hopkins was a second-team All-American and center Dalton Freeman was a first-team All-American as well.

• A big reason Clemson won the 2011 ACC title for the first time in 20 years. Clemson also won 10 games for the first time in 21 years and defeated a record four top-25 teams.

• National offensive coordinator-of-the-year by Rivals.com in 2011.

• Clemson and Baylor were the only FBS schools with a 3,000-yard passer, 1,000-yard rusher and 1,000-yard receiver every year from 2011-13.

• Served as offensive coordinator and associate head coach at Tulsa in 2010 and guided the offense to among the nation’s best. That offense was a big reason Tulsa improved from 5-7 in 2009 to 10-3 in 2010.

• Tulsa averaged 41.4 points per game, eighth-most in the nation, and scored at least 28 points in 12 of its 13 games. Tulsa was fifth nationally in first downs (25.6) and tied for fifth in touchdowns scored from the red zone (46). His offense scored 64 touchdowns on scrimmage plays (32 rushing, 32 passing). The team totaled 1,006 plays (537 rushes, 469 passes) in 2010.

• Won 82 percent of his games as a high school coach in Texas. He led Lake Travis High School to back-to-back, undefeated (16-0) state championship seasons. He won three state titles overall and played in six state championship games in his high school coaching career.

• In 16 years as a head coach in high school, he had a 169-38 record (.816). He earned coach-of-the-year honors in 11 of those 16 years.

• His 2008 team was ranked No. 2 in the nation by USA Today and No. 8 by Rivals.com, while his 2009 team was ranked No. 2 by Rivals.com and No. 9 by USA Today.

He was a high school coach for 16 years. So he certainly wasn't seeking fortune or a quick ride through the college ranks.

Clemson with Elliott run a variation of Chad's offense.

Next conspiracy theory.

Aug 2, 2015, 7:26 AM

Cole played hurt most of the games that we lost, and did not take reps with the 1's that week. That makes it difficult. Streeter made Cole better IMO, because he met Cole at the sidelines and kept him pumped up and focused IMO. Chad did not have time to do that.

As for 'intentional', I would say it's a lack of ability to adjust to a player's strength and make calls accordingly as Chad's real problem.

I agree with the poster that stated that we will see how Chad does at SMU - and it won't be all that great IMO. Chad Morris will never be mentioned for another HC job unless he gets much better at those adjustments to his available talent.

Aug 2, 2015, 8:58 AM

I'll always remember the Chad's ""WORST CALL""_________ called on his ""BEST RECEIVER (Sammy)"" to throw a pass to his ""BEST QUARTERBACK"" ( TAJH ) ___ that changed the flow & cost us the game against U-Suck ****____________ after the interception, Spurrier's team, comes down the field and runs the same play !!!!______"" TO RUB IT IN HIS FACE"" _______ the rest of the game was there for the takin' ***** _________________ Wishing coach Scott & Elliot all the success in the world !!!!!__GO TIGERS !!!!!

Never happened.^^

Aug 2, 2015, 9:12 AM

nm

Aug 2, 2015, 9:19 AM

Zzzzz

Aug 2, 2015, 9:53 AM

I said it from game 1- Chad had trouble calling plays from day 1 with Cole at QB. It's like he knew Coles limitations and tried to compensate for them, thus compounding those limitations.

Intentionally? Absolutely not. I agree with others that

Aug 2, 2015, 10:13 AM

Chad struggled with game planning and play calling with Cole at QB though.

On a related topic, remember this time last year when there was a lot of talk around here about how the offense would be even better with Cole replacing Tajh? LOL

I never saw it with Cole and thought that was a ridiculous notion right from the start. Sure Boyd had a tendency to get antsy and he sometimes made some bad decisions, but there were a lot of things he did very well. He was a big, strong runner with great durability, he had a very strong arm, he could make most of the throws on the field, and he threw a fantastic deep ball. He was also a good leader. With Cole it was evident in watching him that his arm strength was very average, he threw a weak, poor deep ball, and he wasn't the kind of runner Boyd was. We were HOPING he could make up for this with accuracy, field vision, and the ability to stay calm under pressure. These were all just hopes though, largely stemming from performances against the likes of SC State where he was under no pressure and throwing to wide open WRs with a huge talent advantage over the competition. There was no way of knowing how he would react when thrown out there against real defenses.

Worked hard on this BS I see.***

Aug 2, 2015, 10:22 AM

Which 1-2 games did Morris cost us?

Aug 2, 2015, 10:26 AM

Did Morris cause Gurley to run all over our mediocre special teams & our defense? Maybe DW should have played the entire game. But, I wonder who was calling the starting shots. So, Dabo wants Stoudt, but we also started DJ Howard as RB. Where did he end up at the end of the season.

Fla St, so Chad made Cole throw it into the ground to a wide open Leggett? Made Lakip shat the bed on chip shots? Caused Norton to just throw the snap to the 50 yard line? Make Davidson fumble? Not ask for a review on the play before Norton's blunder?

Funny how Davidson disappeared after that game and DW became the clear leader. But, it was the OC masterpiece.

Some of you guys need to really ####.

One of the stupidest posts on Tnet, and that's saying a lot. And, lol at the morons here wanting Morris to fail as HC. You realize that makes the program look better?

Aug 2, 2015, 12:06 PM

Chad didn't adjust his offense to fit Cole's skill set. That may be a serious flaw in Chad's ability to succeed at the highest level. I would say the same was true of TB. There were many times we ran plays that just didn't fit our abilities, but he seemed hell bent on making it happen when it was obvious to everyone, but him, that it wasn't working. Granted the "Mad Scientist" was calling plays, but I used to shudder every time we ran that "bubble screen" that never worked and got our receiver killed on a regular basis.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole lasted about 24 hrs in the NFL. Chad wasn't the problem***

Aug 2, 2015, 12:43 PM

Chad was the problem....

Aug 2, 2015, 9:51 PM

He didn't have any alternate option. He put all his eggs in the Chad Kelly basket and didn't diversify his QB recruiting. Chad was paid a lot of $ to think and plan ahead. Cole was just a player being asked to do more than he was capable of doing (unbeknownst to him of course).

So Chad Morris was Head Coach also while he was here***

Aug 2, 2015, 11:31 PM

He was the head coach of the offense

Aug 3, 2015, 4:25 AM

If the offense played well, he got the credit and it played poorly he got the blame.

And Dabo ultimately gets credit/blame when the entire team does well or poorly.

At no point should players be the scape goat when the Tigers lose. They ae not the ones making hundreds of thousands of dollars to decide who to recruit/not recruit, who to play/not play, what plays to call//not call, etc. Cole not playing well is 100% a reflection on Morris and ultimately Dabo.

Just like when Kevin Steele's D embarrassed in that orange bowl game, it was no one player's fault. The responsibility fell directly on Steele and Dabo took action to fix it. Had he not done that, then Dabo would have owned full responsibility for how our D kept having collapses and continuing the "Clemsoning" heading into the next year.

The main point in all of this is that Chad should be the rightful owner for the poor performances of Stoudt. Chad put himself in that position recruiting-wise. He needed to adjust his O to fit Cole's strengths. It is clear Cole could play if coached properly. Stop excusing Chad for what transpired last year.

Chad simply had hit his ceiling in terms of what he could do for Clemson. He was a great change agent coming in and helped transform the O to where it is today. He mentored Tony and Jeff as well. Given where the Tgers were at the time, if Dabo had to do it all over again, he should be wise to hire Chad Morris. I am not trying to say Chad wasn't a great OC hire.

What I am saying and had been saying all last year is that people shouldn't be criticizing Cole for something that Chad is responsible for. After each one of those games where the O struggled so mightily, the focus, the questioning and pressure should have been squarely on Chad. Folks needed to connect the dots back to his recruiting decisions and them his game planning.

And my point at the time was that if he left for a HC job, it wouldn't be a bad thing for us because he had hit his ceiling at Clemson. Should he have been fired? No way! But I do believe Dabo was having some issues with how the O managed to end up where it did. The chronic O line talent lapses. The Chad Kelly implosion which left only Cole Stoudt and a true freshman as the only QB option. Then the poor performances with Cole at the helm. All of it was indicative of poor coaching decisions.

Much of that seems to have been improved upon with the addition of Streeter and the promotion of new coaching leadership in Tony and Jeff as evidenced in the Oklahoma game and the recruiting focus on linemen and more QBs.

I betcha Dabo and team said "never again" after what they went through last year. Kind of like what he said after the West Virginia OB debacle. Never again!

And this is why he is a great HC. He learns and isn't afraid of change.

Cole's own worst enemy was Cole...He threw a grounder @

Aug 2, 2015, 12:47 PM

FSU that cost us an early TD. He threw a pick vs SCU that gave them an easy score right before the half. Which one of those was on Morris?

Don't forget the pick he through against little brother

Aug 2, 2015, 1:27 PM

right before the half when DW4 went out with the knee -- that could have let them back in the game. Instead of driving for points with 90 seconds left in the half, our defense came up big instead.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

I mentioned that, but thanks for the assist***

Aug 2, 2015, 4:21 PM

All of these were on Chad.... He recruited his offense!

Aug 2, 2015, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Cole's own worst enemy was Cole...He threw a grounder @ ]

If he only had Cole to fall back on, who's fault was that? He put all his eggs in the Kelly basket!! He failed to emphasize the O-line while over emphasizing the skill positions.

Stoudt did the best he could given the situation. Chad mad that situation.

You need to quit huffing paint***

Aug 2, 2015, 11:41 PM

Aug 2, 2015, 2:08 PM

Chad could have tailored a little more to Cole, but all coaches go through that struggle. Rich Rod was miserable his first year at Michigan in part to running his system with slow white kids - that in part lost him the fanbase that he could never win back. Urban Meyer couldn't fit his Florida scheme to Jeff Brantley so he quit and is magically the greatest coach again with Braxton, JT, and Cardale.

Cole's problem wasn't Chad or the play calling, it was talent. He had some nice flashes, but one hopping TD passes (FSU, Wake, etc.) and throwing late over the middle (Cuse, USC, GT, etc.) is not on the OC or the play call.

Aug 2, 2015, 4:16 PM

It was just a mix of Cole just not being the QB Watson is, his injury, Chad's play calling, and the lack of a strong running game.

No one is entirely to blame. However in the bowl game, Cole wasn't injured, Oklahoma's secondary was a mess (as it was most of the season), and the first easy TD likely loosened Cole up a bit and took the pressure off.

As for the poster trying to put all of the blame on the defense and the special teams for UGA, did you watch the second half? It's an awful lot to ask your defense to win a game when your offense gets ONE first down for an entire half. The defense definitely folded late in the UGA game, but that game was just as much on the offense as it was the defense.

Aug 2, 2015, 4:34 PM

My own opinion, for what it's worth.

I think Morris knew he was leaving. Those SMU talks were in process awhile.

I think he really wanted to coach Deshaun Watson before he left.

It never appeared he particularly liked or wanted Cole Stoudt, to my eyes. In the UGA game there was one time when the camera panned over to Stoudt on the sideline, obviously drowning, and Morris never made any attempt whatsoever to try to coach him up.

Sabotage? Conspiracy? Or just a coach who wanted to play a different guy?

Of course, granted, given what we've seen out of Watson, it would be hard to fault Morris for strongly preferring Deshaun. That said...it did appear there was...a disconnect there, and I do think it ultimately wrecked Stoudt's confidence. Given how well Stoudt played in the bowl game, it certainly did appear there were...issues, between Morris and Stoudt.

It's also very hard to argue with the results Morris brought to Clemson. It might not have been a perfect offense, but then, we didn't exactly have perfect personnel a lot of the time either, particularly on the OL. Morris's offense was still generally extremely effective, and it scored a bunch of points and won a bunch of games for Clemson.

I did feel that...circumstances sort of boxed Stoudt in a no-win situation. Do I think Stoudt would have likely been a lot better, beem a lot more effective, and gotten very different treatment, without Deshaun Watson behind him? Yup. I also think it'd be durn hard not to lose all confidence - both your own and the coaches' - when you've got a guy like that breathing down your neck.

Aug 2, 2015, 6:21 PM

I don't think chad didn't like Cole stoudt. I just think that he could see the writing on the wall, which was that Cole stoudt was just not a very good qb. Your right, j don't think he had much confidence in him, but honestly how could he? I'm sure he saw in practice how he starred down receivers and had absolutely zero ability to read a defense. Now could he have changed his offense to fit an inferior qb, sure. But I dont blame him for trying to make it work. Even dabo said all the time..."we do what we do". And that was run the HUNH offense.

And I don't understand all of this talk about how he did so awesome in the bowl game. It was actually a pretty mediocre game by the standards of the offense we run. If Scott doesn't make an unbelievable move to get past 3 defenders, its a gain of only a couple. If mike Williams doesn't break that tackle, it wouldn't have been a TD. Both of those were great efforts by the receivers, but pretty easy throws for the qb. Take those away and he throws for around 200 yards and 1 TD. He was also throwing against the #118 pass defense in the country. It wasn't some magic transformation once chad left, it was a perfect storm for him to have pretty descent stats. Look how fast he was cut from the NFL team he was on. He just didn't have it. Not Chad morris fault.

Uh, you're just mad that Stoudt didn't work out and you're..

Aug 2, 2015, 6:50 PM

blaming Chad Morris for it. You must be on crack if you think Morris was intentionally calling plays that failed. The Bowl game play calling was no different than it had been all year for Stoudt. Get over it. Stoudt wasn't better than Boyd. And Watson should have been starting from the get go last season. Just accept it Stoudt was not an FBS level QB.

still SOUR GRAPES, BECAUSE YOU PREDICTED COLE

Aug 2, 2015, 8:12 PM

WOULD FAIL MISERABLY AGAINST OKLAHOMA AND HE DID NOT...GET OVER IT AND LET GO OF YOUR FAIL! GET PAWSITIVE AND ADMIT YOU WERE WRONG! AND KEEP THE GOOD MEMORIES OF THE GREAT WIN LED BY COLE WHO WAS FINALLY COACHED PROPERLY (FOR HIS STRENGTHS) BY STREETER...ET AL! CHAD MORRIS FAILED IN THIS CASE ONLY TIME IN HIS GREAT CAREER HERE!

Uh, no I didn't predict a thing about Stoudt against OU...

Aug 2, 2015, 8:36 PM

I just predicted we would be beat OU. Fail on your part. Seems you have a lot of anger that Stoudt didn't work out. Might want to see a mental health professional about this anger.

uh, yeah...

Aug 2, 2015, 10:40 PM

tigerking79

[Ignore tigerking79]
[Follow tigerking79]
All-TigerNet [10390]
TigerPulse: 76%
[Pulse Rate]
Followers: 9
Asia

When he passes in the middle of the field, he usually throws [1]
Posted: Dec 14, 2014 11:47 AM

an interception or nearly throws an interception. Streeter can't change the fact that Stoudt cannot play the position past a high school level.

below is your response to ,,,If Streeter has Cole playing well tomorrow will Chad send [2]
Posted: Dec 28, 2014 12:32 PM
just a partial refund from his salary ?

tigerking79

[Ignore tigerking79]
[Follow tigerking79]
All-TigerNet [10390]
[Pulse Rate]
Asia

Get a clue, it's not Morris fault that Stoudt doesn't have.. [1]
Posted: Dec 28, 2014 5:55 PM

the talent to play at this level of FBS football

Still no, I just stated Streeter can't change things for...

Aug 2, 2015, 11:30 PM

a QB in under a month in that thread. My comments in those posts were about Stoudt had played so far. Didn't state a thing about how he would play in the bowl game, just responded to people who thought a just hired assistant was going to be able to change the type of player he was. So stalk my post some more and see if you can find a prediction where I state Stoudt was going to have a bad game.

And just one more time, since your thinking is a little slow. I commented on how Stoudt had played during the season, not how he would do in the bowl. My reply's in that thread, were to the Chad Morris bashing. Had nothing to do with any prediction of how Stoudt would play in the bowl game.

lol...

Aug 3, 2015, 1:04 AM

how can you say you were not talking about the bowl game when the entire thread was about the bowl game?

You were talking about the bowl game when you said Streeter could not change the fact that Stoudt cannot play the position past a high school level. But Streeter did change that.

By saying all that, you are certainly saying Cole could not win the bowl game.

If you can not see that Streeter changed Cole, you are blind.

You are a trip.

Re: Still no, I just stated Streeter can't change things for...

Aug 8, 2015, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Still no, I just stated Streeter can't change things for... ]

lol you are so full of #### its not even funny.

null

Thanks for the truth about tiger"king" - queen is more like

Aug 8, 2015, 1:46 PM [ in reply to uh, yeah... ]

it!

EXACTLY!***

Aug 2, 2015, 9:42 PM [ in reply to still SOUR GRAPES, BECAUSE YOU PREDICTED COLE ]

Not exactly. When I didn't say a thing about how...

Aug 2, 2015, 10:08 PM

Stoudt would play against OU. I only predicted a win.

Re: Not exactly. When I didn't say a thing about how...

Aug 2, 2015, 10:41 PM

tigerking79

[Ignore tigerking79]
[Follow tigerking79]
All-TigerNet [10390]
[Pulse Rate]
Asia

When he passes in the middle of the field, he usually throws [1]
Posted: Dec 14, 2014 11:47 AM

an interception or nearly throws an interception. Streeter can't change the fact that Stoudt cannot play the position past a high school level.

No prediction in that post. Try harder next time stalker***

Aug 2, 2015, 11:32 PM

Give it up, "king" - you are caught red-handed - you said

Aug 8, 2015, 1:51 PM

"we would lose to Oklahoma because Stoudt was so bad!" Come on, get PAWSITIVE AND JUST ADMIT YOU WERE WRONG!

If Watson should have started from the beginning, was that

Aug 2, 2015, 9:55 PM [ in reply to Uh, you're just mad that Stoudt didn't work out and you're.. ]

Not Chad's call? Where were Chad's other alternatives? He bet on Kelly the drama queen and didon't hedge that bet with another recruit. Chad created his own bed. Soudt was an innocent victim of poor planning, poor recruiting, and poor coaching. Soudt should never have been put in that position.

Re: Uh, you're just mad that Stoudt didn't work out and you're..

Aug 2, 2015, 11:25 PM [ in reply to Uh, you're just mad that Stoudt didn't work out and you're.. ]

Yet he started at QB and absolutely killed Oklahoma? Yea, because the QB for PC could play as well as Cole did in the bowl game POST Chad. Do the world a favor and delete your account.

make me***

Aug 2, 2015, 11:37 PM

Re: make me***

Aug 2, 2015, 11:44 PM

Tough internet guy.

Love your post about how Cole can't play past a high school level. Again see the Oklahoma game. (Since your posts show you believe he cannot compete at any level higher than high school)

Wait, didn't Cole play the entire game and easily beat Oklahoma? Your points and comments are cootish...COOT

11/22/14 16 posts = shamecock***

Aug 2, 2015, 11:49 PM

Re: 11/22/14 16 posts = shamecock***

Aug 2, 2015, 11:53 PM

You are an idiot. If you had any sort of education you could see the point of this discussion and how I believe we will be a better team overall. The post was to see if my brethren saw what I saw.

Now please...go over to FGF and post your idiotic comments there. As I will be signing off.

keep PAWSITIVE BY KEEPING THE GOOD MEMORIES OF

Aug 2, 2015, 8:15 PM

BOTH OF THEM! COLES GREAT VICTORY OVER OKLAHOMA AND MORRIS'S OTHERWISE(FAIL WITH COLE) GREAT CAREER HERE

Aug 2, 2015, 10:41 PM

> Am I the only one who thinks that Chad intentionally
> called a game where Cole would not thrive?
>
> I have read where Chad wanted Watson to be the
> starter from day 1 (and I do agree). But Dabo wanted
> to give Cole the shot due to seniority. Which lead to
> issues with Dabo and The Chad.
>
> Take a moment to reflect on last season when thinking
> on this. I know Cole had some shoulder injury issues,
> but what a complete 180 for Cole to have such high
> praise prior to the season. Show up against UGA and
> drive down the field on our first possession to score
> a TD, and then to have the poor season he had.
>
> Next, take a look at the Oklahoma game. The Chad is
> gone and it seems Tony Elliott calls a more favorable
> game to Cole's strengths, and Cole does a dang good
> job (along with coaching from Brandon Streeter).
>
> Does anyone else question this? Just seems like The
> Chad wanted to make a point that Cole should not be
> the starter over Deshaun, which ultimately cost us
> 1-2 games.

I would hope that a coach would not do anything like this lose games to change Q'B . But I didn't like Morris as a coach . He kept on running that screen pass that usually lost yards and being 1lnch from goal line and went into. The shotgun because watson didn't like to be under center .if it wa to get under center nd game won I'm glad

Not intentional....

Aug 3, 2015, 12:40 AM

More like "over-played his hand." Let me explain:

Cole strived in the bowl game because of Brandon Streeter and not necessarily because of Tony Elliot or Jeff Scott. Play calls were never Cole Stoudt's problem. Wanting a different QB wasn't Chad Morris's problem. Life if difficult if you call the plays and coach the QBs. In your mind, you need a QB who can think for themselves and execute what you call during the game. Cole had questions about comprehension of how the play called should run and Morris could never explain it in a way his QB could get it. Which is why you saw some throws really good and others weren't. For example, there were times Stoudt would look off DBs and rifle a pass in on a slant in the middle of the field. Then you get what we saw in the South Carolina and Georgia Tech games when he watched the receiver run the route giving the coverage not only time to react, but opportunities to get it.

Chad also wanted Cole to do something he could not do well and that was run and throw. He wanted Cole to use his feet. Cole isn't that type of QB. As a matter of fact, Chad was hoping that Cole was more like Tajh without the gunslinger mentality. I mentioned before that Tajh Boyd wasn't the fastest thing you have ever seen run the football. He does have mobile QB capabilities. He can give you a burst to get 2 to 3 yards on short yardage downs. That is why Chad went to that play often when Tajh was there. He tried the same with Cole. Top shelf speed, Cole is faster that Tajh. Cole was more like a diesel truck as oppose to Tajh's sports car takeoff. Cole couldn't explode to the hole.

It was more of Chad Morris trying to do what he wanted to with a QB who wasn't built to do it. If you look at the play calling verses Oklahoma and compare it to say Cole versus Wake Forest, there isn't much difference except tempo. There were more pocket passes instead of naked QB bootlegs or asking Cole to use his feet. For the most part, his mechanics were much better. That is a designated QB coach rather an the OC that is also the QB coach. Maybe, it is more that Brandon Streeter was able to communicate what Cole should do rather than Chad Morris trying to sabotage one player for the player he helped recruit.

Um...your theory is Chad put being right ahead of winning???

Aug 8, 2015, 1:51 PM

Hardly.

Not consciously, but ultimately yes***

Aug 8, 2015, 3:59 PM

Replies: 99
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic