Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Soccer has great history
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Clemson Soccer has great history

Feb 18, 2021, 2:54 PM

Winning 14 ACC titles, 2 NCAA title and had 3 Herman Award winners (best soccer player in NCAA) Bruce Murray, Woijtek and Robbie Robinson.
1984 Clemson won it's first NCAA soccer title by defeating the top four seeds in the tournament.
1987 was the second title, this team won the title from the 23rd seed out of 24 teams. They defeated #1 ranked Indiana on their home field. They had never lost a tournament game on their home field prior to this defeat.
They have also played in the final four of the NCAA tournament 10 times and finished as runner-up 2 times.
Go Tigers and bring home another title to the Orange Title Town.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson Soccer has great history

Feb 18, 2021, 3:30 PM

yup, until January 7th, 2019 it would have been considered our most accomplished sport

Funny how our titles always seems to be us knocking off the undisputed best ever titan/champion along the way.

Feb 18, 2021, 5:50 PM

My dad took me to the championship game in 87 at Riggs field

I played on the 84 team...

Feb 18, 2021, 5:30 PM

and I can tell you, the season sure didn't start out all that great.

We were 2 - 2 after the first four games. Granted the two losses were to Indiana and UCLA. Coach Ibrahim made some changes to the lineup, and we managed to get back on track before losing on the road at Duke, a loss which dropped up out of the top 20 rankings.

We would win the next ten in a row before losing to UVa which would be our last loss of the season. Looking back, the win over a really good NC State team to close-out the regular season would the catalyst that propelled us through the NCAA Tournament.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I played on the 84 team...

Feb 18, 2021, 6:20 PM

Awesome! I watched y’all win the Natty in the Kingdome while stationed in the Army at Ft Lewis, WA. That was a dark and depressing building for any sport.

Was Tab Ramos on that State team?

Feb 18, 2021, 8:19 PM [ in reply to I played on the 84 team... ]

Can’t believe y’all smoked UCLA like that in LA. I watched that IU game on the turf a bunch.

Yes...I believe that was his Fr. year

Feb 19, 2021, 8:07 AM

Really really good player.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Dude

Feb 19, 2021, 1:01 PM [ in reply to I played on the 84 team... ]

You're a national champion!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: I played on the 84 team... Question for BigCU

Feb 19, 2021, 7:10 PM [ in reply to I played on the 84 team... ]

Big CU, as a long-time Clemson alum and soccer insider SME, who in your opinion are the most talented Clemson players of all time? How do Christian Nwokocha, Damien Ogunsuyi, Nnambdi Nwokocha, Bruce Murray and other stars back in the day compare to today's stars and vice versa? How has the game changed? Thanks for your insights ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2021, 8:08 PM

I remember watching Obed Ariri and Namdi Natascha (spelling?) play back in 80-81. They definitely had the best team in the nation those years but just didn't get the breaks.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Feb 18, 2021, 8:44 PM

Sorry spell checker...
That's Nnamdi Nnawakacha I think.
Great player!!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Coach I.M. Ibraham was already building that history well

Feb 19, 2021, 8:15 AM

before 1984. We had highly rated men's soccer teams when I was there from 1972-76. They never quite got over the Championship hump back then, but they were TOUGH. I actually attended a few games, and marveled at the pure physical conditioning of those athletes. They could seemingly run nonstop all day, even while knocking a soccer ball around. While I will never get the fervor that other countries have for soccer, there is absolutely no denying those men (and women) are truly world class athletes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really felt like we should’ve won the national title in 2019

Feb 19, 2021, 1:05 PM

During the season we were leading the nation in goals by far. Team was absolutely deadly, a joy to watch each match with Mayaka being the conductor in the middle.

Unfortunately we didn’t play our best in the tournament and squeaked by a couple inferior teams before falling in the elite 8 to Stanford in heartbreaking fashion in penalties.

I also felt one of the teams in the early 2000s with Onyewu couldn’t won it all.

Feb 19, 2021, 1:41 PM

It has been wonderful and the present team has really moved to another level

GO TIGERS

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic