Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nice. 20 years too late. But nice.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,120

Nice. 20 years too late. But nice.

Jan 16, 2021, 2:39 AM

https://www.wistv.com/2021/01/15/three-sc-representatives-file-bill-calling-term-limits-us-house-senate-seats/

Only way this gets done is this way....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nice. 20 years too late. But nice.

Jan 16, 2021, 5:24 AM

There was never supposed to be a professional political class in this country.

Something about We The People....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2021, 10:04 AM

This is a cause that I am 100% behind. I think it is a cause that no matter where one is on the political spectrum, one would tend to support. What we have now isn't working.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2021, 10:57 AM

If we impose (unconstitutional) term limits in Congress, all we will accomplish is mediocracy at best, and incompetence at worst. What happens when a state or district finds a really good representative ?

The oligarchy will continue to groom and control each new wave of representatives through campaign financing and lobbying. If you want representatives to get back to actually representing, you have to negate the effect of big money in politics. The problem isn't that politicians are professionals. it is that they are controlled by big money.

Maybe just let the protesters have K Street as the new Chaz.***

Jan 16, 2021, 12:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe just let the protesters have K Street as the new Chaz.***

Jan 16, 2021, 5:44 PM

If the average American knew what K Street really got up to it'd look more like Carthage after the Romans knocked it down brick by brick by the time the protesters got through with it.

Lobbyists make SEC recruiters look like Boy Scouts.

Climate change is big money

Jan 18, 2021, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Nice. 20 years too late. But nice. ]

Dem legislators are very passionate about it

They are cashing some hefty checks I imagine

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2021, 10:52 AM

U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton, 514 U.S. 779 (1995), was a case in which the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that states cannot impose qualifications for prospective members of the U.S. Congress stricter than those specified in the Constitution. The decision invalidated the Congressional term limit provisions of 23 states. The parties to the case were U.S. Term Limits, a non-profit advocacy group, and Arkansas politician Ray Thornton, among others.[1]

Jan 16, 2021, 12:05 PM

It's a tall lift, but a Constitutional Amendment gets it done. I absolutely do not believe the Founding Fathers ever intended the creation of the vocation of career politician. The 22nd Amendment fixed this problem at the level of the President.

I'm sick of the preening and posturing of our current representatives. I think we can easily come up with 535 people on a periodic basis to run the show. Congress would actually vote their conscience instead of doing what they think best allows them to stay in office.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...and spending Day 1 to get started on being re-elected.***

Jan 16, 2021, 12:38 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. 35 states can make their own amendment without

Jan 16, 2021, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Nice. 20 years too late. But nice. ]

Congress being involved, per the Constitution. The states have the power to ratify an amendment.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yep. 35 states can make their own amendment without

Jan 16, 2021, 7:31 PM

Tiggity,

2/3rds of the state legislatures can call for a Constitutional Convention - at which point any number of amendments might be proposed. I think that is opening up a can of worms that we all might wish had stayed closed.

Re: Yep. 35 states can make their own amendment without

Jan 18, 2021, 9:27 AM

The attractive idea about term limits is capping corruption and power grabbing of all the committees which also feeds corruption.

Once corruption is the accepted norm, and I believe we are closer than the average person knows, it is nearly impossible to turn back. Maybe we are already past the turn-back point...

But Tobias27772 is right in that other systems (unintended consequences) are likely to spawn to take the place of unlimited terms if limits were imposed. Who knows what it might look like, but they would serve a similar purpose to get people in positions where they can be influenced to do certain things once they get in office.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,120
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic