Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson's Top 5 Football Rivals
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 3,266

Clemson's Top 5 Football Rivals

Aug 4, 2015, 10:17 PM

On a long bike ride the other day, I drifted off thinking about Clemson football as usual. Probably not the safest thing to do at 20 mph, but oh well.

Living up North, I always get asked who Clemson's rivals are. I started thinking about it and wanted to get everyone's opinion on Clemson's Top 5 Rivals. Here is my list:

1. USuCk - This is a no brainer
2. FSU - Yes, they are in our Conference Division, but does FSU consider us a rival like we consider them a rival? I think FSU/Florida and FSU/Miami is considered a bigger rivalry in FSU fans' eyes.
3. Georgia Tech - close games and being relatively close in distance makes this one heated.
4. Georgia - same reasons Georgia Tech is a rival
5. NC State - the similarity in schools and fanbase make this a rival.

I could have went with Auburn, Maryland, UNC for #5, but it was a close call.

Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our fans are nothing like NC State's***

Aug 4, 2015, 10:24 PM

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: Our fans are nothing like NC State's***

Aug 4, 2015, 10:32 PM

I see where you are coming from, but I am referring more to both schools being blue collar and having roots in agriculture/textiles. I would say the NC State fan is 1/10 as passionate as a Clemson fan.

Living in NC, Clemson people are more like State

Aug 5, 2015, 7:36 AM

people than any of the other NC schools in every day life. Gameday is another story. All the NC schools suxor on gameday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NC State fans are enthusiastic, which I appreciate, but

Aug 5, 2015, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Our fans are nothing like NC State's*** ]

and I hesitate to make this comparison lightly, they're the SCar of their state. They are the constant little brother to UNC (and Duke, in basketball season) and have a Texas-sized inferiority complex. That complex makes them exceedingly brash, especially when they have a good season. They are almost as insufferable as SCar fans when they get confident.

That being said they know, mostly, how to fill their football stadium and they have a lively environment.

SCAR and UGA are the only true blood rivals

Aug 4, 2015, 10:36 PM

as we have to live amongst each other. That's why FSU will never be in the same category. Do you even know an FSU fan personally? But we all know, work with, live next door to, and are even kin to SCAR and UGA fans/grads. You see them every day of the year, even at church.

Those idiots up there think Ohio State and Michigan is a "big" rivalry. That's silly. Most Michigan fans don't even know an Ohio State fan, and unless they are displaced living out of state, never interact with one. These folks will never know what true blood rivalry is.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Georgia Tech too, and the reason we have the $2 bill

Aug 5, 2015, 9:15 AM

tradition.

You're also wrong about the Ohio State and Michigan rivalry.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I lived in Michigan, I'm not wrong.

Aug 5, 2015, 12:17 PM

they don't know what a real rivalry is. Living it 365 days a year. Having uncles, aunts, cousins or even brothers that went to the other school. They don't even know (or care) when they play each other in baseball or other sports.

far cry from a Clemson-SCAR, Alabama-Auburn, or FSU-Florida rivalry.

I know some long-time FSU fans

Aug 5, 2015, 9:28 AM [ in reply to SCAR and UGA are the only true blood rivals ]

And they definitely have the Clemson date circled on their calendar every year. In fact one elderly couple in particular make it a point to attend the Clemson-FSU game as their one game a year, regardless of location.

I have a cousin whose family are all huge FSU fans. In fact 2 of her sons were walk-ons, including one who was on the most recent national championship team. In their minds though their main rivals are Miami and Florida. I'm not sure how much they consider Clemson a rival, although they definitely recognize us as their most consistent threat.

FSU's top 2 rivals at the moment are:

Aug 4, 2015, 10:37 PM

1) Women
2) Dogs

I think Maryland and UNC tie for #5 for us.

pretty spot on with 1 and 2... and that's all that really

Aug 4, 2015, 10:38 PM

matters...

CU/FSU has become a huge rivalry, I would argue one of the best in the nation, esp. with the ACC ramifications now.

While UGA is a rival, we don't play them enough anymore.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Coots, Noles, Bees, Jawja, Wyoming

Aug 4, 2015, 10:38 PM

??

Re: Coots, Noles, Bees, Jawja, Wyoming

Aug 5, 2015, 12:02 AM

Replace Wyoming with "SEC".

I think you pretty much have it right, but ND may get there.***

Aug 4, 2015, 10:40 PM

Re: Clemson's Top 5 Football Rivals

Aug 5, 2015, 12:16 AM

Coots, FSU, GT, UGA, Virginia, NCST!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 5, 2015, 12:58 AM

I know a lot of FSU fans personally and they HATE us. To me, today, I'd say

1.SCAR
2.FSU
3.GT
4.NC ST.
5.BC

I wish we still played UGA, Maryland and Virginia every year. I think BC has become a big rivalry of importance in our division over the years.

I agree about BC.***

Aug 5, 2015, 6:32 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why? BC was only relevant with Matt Ryan.***

Aug 5, 2015, 9:14 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Aug 5, 2015, 1:21 AM

Good call, and mine are the same "top five", but in a different order:

1) USuC, of course - a very underappreciated, unheralded rivalry in CFB (and I kinda' like that...
after all, it's a Southern thing, a "Great State of SC" thing, and kinda' like BBQ - it's ours.)

2) Georgia - proximity, interstate "one-upmanship" going back three hundred years, recruiting
competition, our games during the 80's and Vince Dooley - coach and director of the most corrupt
program in the history of the NCAA.

3) NC State Woolfpeckers - yes, the whole textile engineering thing, engineering in general, the
annual "Textile Bowl" (although "textiles", today, is little more than a memory in the USA), and
again, our games in the 80's - if we enter Raleigh on Oct 31 this year with a 7-0/6-1 record and
ranked in the top five/ten: watch out. I've said before, ask Danny Ford about NC State. They
come to play "Clemson", regardless.

4) GA Tech - (see all above.)

5) FSU - Strange, but I still consider them as newcomers to the conference, something not quite a
part of the old tradition, the team that now everybody and anybody has to beat to be taken
seriously in the ACC. I've always been curious as to why [they] put us both in the same division,
the two most successful programs in the conference. Obviously, we have to win this game each
year just to qualify for the ACCCG, let alone the NC playoffs. (BTW, NC State was the first team
in the ACC to beat FSU as a conference foe.)

There are really only 3 now, SCAR, FSU, and GT

Aug 5, 2015, 1:46 AM

Cant really consider UGA a current rival since we are not playing each other anytime soon. Historically, of course, but you cant have a rivaly unless you play. NC State...whatever. They have been national insignificant and the epitome of a mediocre program. We should never lose to them. BC would be if anyone in Boston cared about college football. The other side has to participate. As far as the hatred factor, I would put UNC in the top 5, but we hardly play anymore.

Not a top five, but BC is kind of a rivalry.

Aug 5, 2015, 6:30 AM

They always play us tough.

Aug 5, 2015, 6:46 AM

I'm depressed after reading folks who don't feel the Dawgs are a football rival to Clemson. It's a bit like saying "Gone With The Wind" or "Casablanca" isn't a great movie because they haven't made an update lately.

But I get it, and no one wants to hear the old guy on his bar stool talking about how life used to be. So, here's my vote for the top 5 CURRENT football rivals.

1. Capons: No wonder and no doubt ... and hopefully no losses for years to come.

2. Bees: They beat us, we beat them, and the games are nearly always dandies. Close enough that fans from both teams can make the trip to the opposition. Their fans are smug without reason, but not vile.

3. Noles: What we aspire to be, minus the criminal activity. Year in and out, this has been a BIG game for decades. In generations to come, I believe this is the series Tiger fans will view as us old folks did Georgia.

4. Wuffies: We are what they aspire to be, and though they'll never make it, the games have universally been entertaining...and generally won by Clemson. But who was the last unranked team to beat us? Their fans also have not been as repugnant as in the past, though a night game in Raleigh seems to bring the worst out of them.

5. Owning to the newness of each, I'd go with BC over Auburn. BC for the cultural differences, Auburn for the country cousin similarities. I like both schools, and their fans have been generally hospitable. And we beat both the last time we played.

I'd love to include VTech, both for the past and present, but we just don't see that much of one another.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 5, 2015, 6:53 AM

Ole Frank tore it off and handed it back when VT first entered the conference. I wouldn't mind being on that side of the conference with GT and FSU as cross divisional rivaries. I swap either of them for VT though. BC, meh, I'd swap BC for VT.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1) SC, 2) FSU, 3) GT, 4) UGA

Aug 5, 2015, 8:17 AM

UGA would probably be higher if we played them more than twice a decade. I don't think anyone else is really a true rival any longer. I don't want to beat NC ST more than Wake or BC or Cuse. There's nothing extra in that game for me.

Re: 1) SC, 2) FSU, 3) GT, 4) UGA

Aug 5, 2015, 12:18 PM

I wasn't around for the UGA rivalry but if it was anything like the last series holy crap. I really wish we played them every year.

Aug 5, 2015, 8:51 AM

I agree with the first four, it gets difficult after that. Seems it changes based on how well Clemson/opponents are playing at any given time in the conference. I really enjoyed the past Auburn series, some of the players/coaches they had made them easy to hate.

Aug 5, 2015, 8:59 AM

1. FSU
2. GT
3. BC
4. Louisville
5. Georgia

Clemson is scu rival.

Surely even you don't believe that.

Aug 5, 2015, 9:23 AM

I know it's all cool to act like we are too good for them to even be considered our rival, but everyone knows that's all just BS.

I'd have the same list as you

Aug 5, 2015, 9:30 AM

That 5th spot is tough, but I'd go NC State. There's enough history and bitterness there to make it a decent rivalry, albiet not one that's at the front of either side's mind most of the time.

I agree with your Top 5

Aug 5, 2015, 12:22 PM

With BC being a close 6

I agree with your top 4, but totally disagree with

Aug 5, 2015, 12:30 PM

NCST, Auburn, Maryland, and UNC.

Clemson only has 4 rivals and it is hard to call UGA a rival since we only play a couple of times a decade.

we play UGA in baseball every year

Aug 5, 2015, 1:32 PM

and we're going to play them in basketball in the next couple years. I think we're opening the "new" Littlejohn with them next year. Those aren't your "normal" games against Anybody U, for sure.

You have a football-only mindset - a great rivalry encompasses more than just one sport.

agree with the op on everything....

Aug 5, 2015, 12:40 PM

but i must elaborate on how much i truely despise and hate the university of maryland. when i was growing up, we never lost to them. even at 7 years old i knew that wake, duke, and maryland were three teams we would beat. then friedgen (sp?) came to town and they got pretty good pretty fast and then the memories of them that used to be good, just became horrid. the whole "clemsoning" thing was completely, in my mind, personified and associated with maryland. god i hate them and good riddance to those evil sons of b####es.

UNCheat HAS to be listed.......

Aug 5, 2015, 1:36 PM

at least for anyone that was around in the 80's. The are and always will be in my top 5. I want to curb stomp them in every single sport we compete.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NCST has fallen way off. They aren't passionate

Aug 5, 2015, 1:58 PM

enough and they seem to accept mediocracy with their team and even their schedules. I would put Auburn over them. We played them 3 years in a row and by the 3rd year it had more passion than most of our ACC conference game. I suspect it will ramp back up fast when we play them again next year.

Aug 5, 2015, 10:28 PM

1. Tech<< not even close.They have best us when we had MUCH THE BEST TEAM for years!they also seem to get all the breaks
2. FSU.. simply no reason for that bunch to keep beating us
3. stinking c$$ts.no reason needed

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 3,266
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic