Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson's #1 Fan
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Clemson's #1 Fan

Oct 17, 2013, 9:05 PM

I want to nominate my friend (Jim) as Clemson's #1 fan. Here's why:

* Jim likes football - played freshman football for Michigan State in the early '60s.

* Jim lives in San Diego, CA.

* Jim called me ten years ago and said he would like to see a game in Death Valley before he died - it was on his bucket list. I said "OK". He suggested the FSU game and I said, "No, you want to see the Clemson-South Carolina game". Now, Jim not being local was looking only at the FSU reputation and not the local rivalry and at the time didn't understand the significance of the in-state game.

* I made a deal with Jim... if he and his lovely wife would arrive on Thanksgiving day and if he would put the lights on my Christmas tree (something I hate to do because my wife likes 700 strings of lights), I would provide tickets and take him to the game. To my amazement, he accepted.

* Jim enjoyed that game so much, he has for the last 10 years made the same deal - each year flying from San Diego, putting the lights on my tree and enjoying watching the Tigers, win or lose.

* Last year, in addition to the South Carolina game, Jim came to see the Tigers whip Auburn in Atlanta.

* Every year and every game, Jim and I sit and watch the Tigers - neither saying much. Both of us having played a bit of football, we don't really need to talk about it - we just watch the game as it unfolds and talk about it later. Neither of us wants to miss a second of action by talking when we should be watching what unfolds on the field.

* Some games during the year, Jim calls me from San Diego while the Clemson game is on television and we talk about what tendencies we see and what should be done by Clemson as we both watch the game. Jim was a defensive lineman and I was a TE, so we each have a different, but agreeable slant on strategy. He's very good at defensive football and I feel I have a fairly good grasp of what an offense needs to do against what they face - so it makes for a good discussion between old-timers.

* This year, I called him and said "Jim, I already have tickets for the South Carolina game, but I think this might be a special year, so you need to come East for the UGA game". Jim and his wife were here and of course, I provided the tickets for both South Carolina-UNC and CU-UGA.

* Last week, Jim and his wife left for a week in Vienna, Austria. I sent him an email yesterday and asked him where he was - he was still in Austria. I told him that I remembered his original request to see the Tigers play FSU and now was the time to see that matchup if he was still interested..... told him I had tickets and asked how soon he would return.

* He returned to San Diego tonight, checked flight schedules and called to tell me that they were a bit tired, but would be on a flight leaving San Diego at 7:00AM tomorrow morning, arriving in Columbia tomorrow night at 9:30PM.

* After a (very) few hours of sleep for him, we will be leaving Columbia Saturday morning for the game in Tiger Town, in hopes of arriving before the end of the Game Day show. So, if you see a couple of old white-haired guys in the crowd, it just might be Jim and me.

Now, I ask you - have you ever heard of a more dedicated Clemson Tiger fan than that?

Jim's our #1 fan in my book! Heck, he should be acknowledged at half-time and given a golden paw! Maybe he should even be put into the Ring of Honor!

And if any of you think that Clemson football isn't respected by those who know football, just ask Jim.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I nominate you for a GREAT friend award!

Oct 17, 2013, 9:09 PM

You and Jim enjoy the game and be sure to yell loudly - GO TIGERS!

Yeah - don't just sit there watching it unfold this time !

Oct 18, 2013, 6:56 AM

STAND UP AND YELL LIKE YOU ARE 2 CRAZY, 20 YEAR OLDS AGAIN ! ! !

WE NEED YOU 2 ! ! ! !

GREAT, GREAT story . . . thanks for sharing.

and

G O T I G E R S ! ! !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Clemson's #1 Fan

Oct 17, 2013, 9:14 PM

I will put up your Christmas lights for tickets! Heck I will clean the house and wash the cars while I am at it!

Clean the toilets, too?***

Oct 17, 2013, 9:22 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

I'd have to meet him first

Oct 18, 2013, 8:44 AM

If he looks like John Goodman, forget it.

Wow. Absolutely LOVE these stories!***

Oct 17, 2013, 9:16 PM

Jim is a great Tiger fan and you are definitely one special

Oct 17, 2013, 9:30 PM

friend also. Agree on hating to place those Christmas lights, never spaced properly. Great reading, thanks for sharing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's so awesome...friends are the best***

Oct 17, 2013, 9:47 PM

Well, get your white haired butts off the seats and scream

Oct 17, 2013, 11:12 PM

Your lungs out, otherwise you and Jim can stay at home. :)

Oct 18, 2013, 4:51 AM

What a great story! And I don't blame you...I hate putting lights on the tree too. :) I surely hope the Tigers make all that traveling worth it for your friend! Go Tigers!

I do not understand why anyone would agree to

Oct 18, 2013, 7:56 AM

put the lights on somebody else's Christmas tree.

Read the story: for tickets...

Oct 18, 2013, 8:07 AM

smh

It was a joke --- but I do have a hook for my next song***

Oct 18, 2013, 8:49 AM

As was mine, and we all look forward to that.

Oct 18, 2013, 8:50 AM

Will it be on your X-mas album?

For a Clemson engineer, one of my favorite accomplishments

Oct 18, 2013, 9:18 AM

was the writing of a song for my wedding in 2007 unveiled by a UCLA opera graduate at Wayfarers Chapel. I am not a musician or singer, but had attended a series of songwriting workshops (google Robin Frederick). I knew the song would need to appropriately fit between Ava Maria at the start and the Lord's Prayer" at the end while writing and composing it 3 weeks before the wedding. My wife knew about the surprise song, but did not hear it until the candle lighting ceremony during the wedding.

All jokes aside now, that's a pretty awesome story.***

Oct 18, 2013, 9:21 AM

Glad Jim got to join us!! Woooo Hooo***

Oct 18, 2013, 9:13 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ban the Woo Hoo***

Oct 18, 2013, 10:55 AM

i'll vote for jim as long as he doesn't woohoo

Oct 18, 2013, 12:48 PM

;)

sounds like 2 #1 tiger fans to me.***

Oct 18, 2013, 1:21 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Oct 18, 2013, 6:58 PM

Man-o-man..... Jim and his wife, less than 12 hours after returning to San Diego from a 24 hour flight door-to-door, left San Diego this morning at 7:00AM, changed planes in Denver, changed planes in Chicago and will soon board another to arrive in Columbia at 9:30PM tonight, sleep 7 hours and be off to Tiger Town. Not too shabby for a 72 year old guy.

Just to clear up a few things:

* Jim doesn't woo-hoo and I don't woo-hoo.

* I still only have 2 "Fight"s at the end of my candence count and Jim has learned the same.

* My major was EE, so I KNOW electricity doesn't really work, and I have no desire to light up my house with lights that must be perfectly placed and balanced (according to my wife). Jim thinks he's an electrical artist (after working in finance in the satellite communications industry), so I humor him and let him earn his keep.

* Oh yeah - Jim lives in a area surrounded by professional football and baseball players and Jim's wife says he spends most of his neighborhood conversation with these guys telling them about how great those Clemson Tigers are and what they're all missing.

* I suspect that before this season is over, Jim is going to spend more than $10,000 on plane tickets to see the Tigers and I suspect he's going to enjoy every dollar of it.

* And Jim likes beer - lots of it. If that's not available, anything with alcohol will do - as long as you don't run out. Danged Irishmen.

* And the last email I got from Jim just said "Spot the #### ball!"

Thanks for the "Jim Travel Update"!!

Oct 18, 2013, 8:11 PM

Y'all are some alright fellas! And hey, just for tomorrow night, consider adding that 3rd "FIGHT" when you're shouting the cadence count real loud for our Tigers! ;)

Re: Thanks for the "Jim Travel Update"!!

Oct 18, 2013, 8:24 PM

> And hey, just for tomorrow night, consider adding that 3rd "FIGHT" when you're shouting the cadence count real loud for our Tigers! ;)

Not a chance. Vintage Tigers only need two fights to win.... :)

Re: Thanks for the "Jim Travel Update"!!

Oct 18, 2013, 8:33 PM

> > And hey, just for tomorrow night, consider adding that 3rd "FIGHT" when you're shouting the cadence count real loud for our Tigers! ;)
>
> Not a chance. Vintage Tigers only need two fights to win.... :)

HA! HA! Yea, you're right! It's kinda like what my Pastor always says, "stick with the one who brought ya to the dance!" ;) (And hey, I'm sure I'm considered vintage by some of these posters since I was a CU student when we won the Natty in '81)! Go Tigers!!

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic