Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson vs. Notre Dame 1977
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Clemson vs. Notre Dame 1977

May 31, 2015, 8:04 AM

I was there at this game. Just graduated from Clemson. I have been tring to find a video of it. I haven't been able to find one. Any suggestions? Already been to youtube.

For those of you who are old enough and can remember this game, Coac Dan Devine showed his butt during this game and taunted the Clemson crowd. As they were leaving the field after the game, some Clemson fan tossed a whole drink all over him. Not happy about that but can say he deserved it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope we hand out ear plugs to the ND fans again.***

May 31, 2015, 8:08 AM

There are some extended clips of it

May 31, 2015, 8:09 AM

on YouTube

Re: There are some extended clips of it

May 31, 2015, 8:26 AM

I was at the game too, and saw Devine taunt the fans...never liked them since, and I don't know who threw a drink in him but would have bought it for him if I knew him..Devine was a classless loud mouth who showed less respect to Clemson than Woody Hayes....Billy Lott got them back under the Dome in '79

May 31, 2015, 8:41 AM [ in reply to There are some extended clips of it ]

> on YouTube

Do you have the links? I have looked for those clips and could not find. I was at the game and it was one of the all time great games played in DV. The Tigers had the game until JM came in the game and took charge.

I always thought that the Steve was at the line of scrimmage on the triple option lateral that was called a illegal forward pass. Having that TD called back changed the mo in the game. You did not see the shuffle pass back in the 70's.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 31, 2015, 4:04 PM

I was at the game sitting at the 5 yard line and had a clear vision of the play. It was a forward lateral and the correct call was made. Some lady standing behind me was screaming about how the ref's were against us and it was a bum call. I got tired of hearing her go off and told her she needed to read a rules book on football. That said, the Ken Callicut fumble before halftime was a bigger issue than this penalty.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

found full game footage of 1979

May 31, 2015, 9:00 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaUO3dNP_g0

I found that one too but can't find the 77 game in DV***

May 31, 2015, 9:24 AM

was there with 9 yr old Son & blocking for winning TD by line/backs fantastic!

May 31, 2015, 9:31 AM

GoTiGERS

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And, at '79 game I was guy waving PAW flag in lower end zone!

May 31, 2015, 9:35 AM

GoTiGERS

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you for that. I always remember that flag waving up

May 31, 2015, 10:28 AM

there at Notre Dame. Amazing what a difference a flag or two can make on representation of a fanbase. Somebody was in the stands waving one at South Carolina game this year, wish we had more of those in the stands, or shakers like Bama and Auburn have.

U R wELCome (LOL)..and that Bird Devine gave almost made my DAD

May 31, 2015, 10:50 AM

Come out of the stands in '77 game..b/c he took it personally & felt it was only to him since he had been yelling the hardest!

GoTiGERS

Just watched this game fully through...

Jun 1, 2015, 4:19 AM [ in reply to found full game footage of 1979 ]

...and remember vividly listening to Jim Phillips call this game on WFBC, even remember some of the exact comments made. These were the days Clemson football exploded onto the national stage for good. Man, our fullback run play hit that line REALLY fast.

Had forgotten Ken Allison was still the "color guy" in those days. Ken had been one of my youth baseball coaches in some years prior to this...not one of my better experiences.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great memories! !!!!

Jun 1, 2015, 5:08 AM [ in reply to found full game footage of 1979 ]

The "Voice of Tigers " calling the names of so many Tiger greats. Some of the to be national champions 2 seasons later. Thanks.

I was at the game, 14 years old. I remember our seats were

May 31, 2015, 10:18 AM

in the west stands. At that time, there was a little separation between some rows and wind was blowing right up from behind your feet to your butt. It was pretty cold that day if I remember correctly and the west stands were in shadow most of the day.

I would love to see video of that game. I have a copy of the 1979 Notre Dame game, but I have not been able to find the '77 game on youtube either. I have found some pretty old ones on youtube, like the '77 South Carolina game. I've been looking at parts of the 1986 Georgia whole game on youtube recently. I also want to check out the 1986 UNC blowout. It is surprising to me how hard it is not having the constant clock, down and distance on the screen. I guess they started that sometime in the 90's. Not sure why it took so long for that.

As for Mr. Devine, he flipped the bird at the Clemson crowd during a time in which he came on the field to argue with the officials. It was obvious he flipped of the crowd. That was one of the big moments that, at 14, I began to realize that terms like "catholic school", "integrity", and who someone was or represented, was just a load of bunk. My grandmother had always told me that class wasn't based on money, position, heritage, race, or any of those things. She used to say the poorest pauper that represents no organization could have more class in their little finger than the king of a country could have in their whole body. She was right.

I was PA announcer in those days.

May 31, 2015, 11:02 AM

In 1979, I was working with Jim on the network. In those days us "color guys" did not talk constantly like now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson vs. Notre Dame 1977

Jun 1, 2015, 5:19 AM

STILL my favorite game in the Valley! Absolute silence from the Band to the Fans! Unbelievable how it was all pulled together...before the internet or facebook. Purely word of mouth. No one made a sound. Looked like all the fans were clapping but not a sound. Wish we had won the game but we did 2 years later at Notre Dame. Just an amazing day in the Valley!

I was a HS junior and it was my first ever game at Clemson.

Jun 1, 2015, 10:06 AM

Me and my dad drove 8 hours the day before, got up early the next morning parked on Bowman field to tailgate, and sat on The Hill. Probably my most special game ever as it was at that game I knew I was ready to leave Virginia and head to Clemson after I graduated HS. That game, that decision, shaped my life forever for the better.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kewl you lucky dog. I was a HS sophomore and wanted to go

Jun 1, 2015, 10:40 AM

so bad cause we talked about it for weeks at nearby
Daniel HS, but it had been sold out for months. We
couldn't even get General Admission tickets to sit
on the hill and I think that may have been the last
home game before we got the South upper deck in '78.
'77 and '74 had been the only years we had been any
good in the 70s to that point. That game caused us
to want to go to South Bend in '79, a fun trip with
a couple of my brothers and my dad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was eating fudgsicles and watching bugs bunny that day.***

Jun 1, 2015, 10:43 AM

Re: Clemson vs. Notre Dame 1977

Jun 1, 2015, 2:40 PM

I was in the 10th grade in high school. Me and my friend stayed in Johnstone with my brother who was going to school at Clemson. These guys were beating this old car the night before the game with ND and USuC on it. We told the freshman female students at the hall parties in Johnstone that we were freshman at Clemson. They were nice enough to let us drink from the kegs. The game was so crowded, we climbed up one of the trees in the corner of the hill and sat on a limb. What a fun time. Dan Devine showed his asx. We should have won. But, we got them back in 1979.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic