Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson students axe fee. Now tickets may no longer be free
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Clemson students axe fee. Now tickets may no longer be free

Jan 8, 2016, 11:02 AM

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-clemsons-students-wouldnt-pay-for-sports-1452209496

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson students axe fee. Now tickets may no longer be free

Jan 8, 2016, 12:05 PM

Good for them, tuition costs too much anyway and more and more of our beloved institutions have become infected with the ever increasing love of money. And to be fair, although i know the new Athletic complex needed to be built.....it seems almost insulting to ask students and parents to pay for athletics when the money they're already getting is going for a bowling alley and an indoor slide.

It's ok for those things to be funded privately by those who can. But student debt in this country is way, way out of hand.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's good, Students that never attend any game

Jan 8, 2016, 12:51 PM

shouldn't foot the bill for those that do. Likewise, they that do attend games shouldn't be gettin' freebies.

Re: That's good, Students that never attend any game

Jan 8, 2016, 1:26 PM

Darn right.

If a program can't support itself, then people who aren't interested in it shouldn't have to pay for it.

What they do at UF, Auburn, Georgia, etc. is let students opt to buy a very affordable package (usually ranging from $50-$100) for season tickets. There's a limited amount (like 20,000 at UF, I think about 15k at Auburn), adjusted based on interest.
How do they do that? Make sure their football/basketball programs are popular so people off the street buy tickets, licensed merchandise, $8 nachos, watch them on TV etc. Those programs, like ours, in turn help out some programs with less revenue.

Know what they do at UVA? Gouge the livin' sin out of all students by tacking like $600 in fees on tuition for some bunk that most people don't want to watch. Screw that.

This article fails to point out that nearly 3/4 of the

Jan 8, 2016, 1:28 PM

student body is an IPTAY collegiate club member for higher ticket priority. They just hiked the IPTAY dues from $40/year when I was a student probably in an attempt to recoup some of this missing revenue from the general student population.

Re: This article fails to point out that nearly 3/4 of the

Jan 8, 2016, 1:35 PM

I had my daughter join iptay this year in order to get priority in getting student tickets. The system was so bad this year that on more than one occasion she couldn't get a ticket as a sophomore. I love clemson but I've got to say I was furious that she couldn't get in to see notre dame when she did everything she could within the system to get one.

My daughter had the same experience. Sad when students...

Jan 8, 2016, 2:03 PM

who really want to go can't. Seems to me Clemson has enough room to accomodate all students who want to attend.60K season tickets plus probably 15K for students who "want" to go =75K. That leaves 10K for visiting team and general public.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it is b/c they did away with the camping policy...

Jan 8, 2016, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: This article fails to point out that nearly 3/4 of the ]

It really screwed everything up. They are trying to institute an online thing now I believe.

Re: This article fails to point out that nearly 3/4 of the

Jan 8, 2016, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Re: This article fails to point out that nearly 3/4 of the ]

Just curious, why couldn't your daughter just buy a regular tix from a scalper... Or did she specifically want a student tix?

Re: Clemson students axe fee. Now tickets may no longer be free

Jan 8, 2016, 2:37 PM

Is that really a hairy armpit or what ? ...., don't do that .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic