Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson offensive coaches ... a touch of genius?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 3,443

Clemson offensive coaches ... a touch of genius?

Dec 31, 2019, 11:20 AM

Which coach conceived of and then called the play that ETN broke for the winning TD?

If it was Tony Elliott, it was a stroke of genius!

The perfect play at the perfect moment.

Fans have complained about the play calling of our OCs many times, but it’s hard to ignore the fact that at total crunch time, this play call worked to perfection.

It took two phenomenal players to execute it, but the coaches play design and the call itself was genius!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Which coach conceived of and then called the play that

Dec 31, 2019, 11:35 AM

Yeah. It almost looked like Trevor was about to run, which sucked in the OSU defense for a fraction of a second, just enough time for Travis to spring free.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And Trevor said he didn’t like the play in practice ...

Dec 31, 2019, 11:39 AM

But, he sure executed it to perfection in the game!

How many times do coaches get blamed for failed plays that were great calls where players don’t execute?

Re: And Trevor said he didn’t like the play in practice ...

Dec 31, 2019, 11:40 AM

No question about it. Planned and executed to perfection. If they do more of this on the 13th, it will be Natty #4.

The reason that Trevor didn't like it in practice

Dec 31, 2019, 4:29 PM [ in reply to And Trevor said he didn’t like the play in practice ... ]

is probably because BV and our D knew how to blow it up.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, maybe so ... also

Dec 31, 2019, 4:31 PM

... also, I doubt the Clemson defense has to guard against TL taking off for 67 yards either.

The effectiveness of TLs legs all game long totally set up that play.

Absolutely.***

Dec 31, 2019, 4:41 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson offensive coaches ... a touch of genius?

Dec 31, 2019, 11:42 AM

My biggest complaint about Clemson play calling is the "Bubble Screen". I hate that play. It's rare that it doesn't go for a loss. The TL to TE fake run/pass was brilliant. TE said in post game it was the first time they had ever run it. Great call.

Dec 31, 2019, 11:44 AM

Travis said that he saw the safety before the ball was thrown and obviously had to turn to make the catch. He said when he turned back around he was crashing on him. A juke step and he was off to the races.

Dec 31, 2019, 4:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson offensive coaches ... a touch of genius? ]

I also thought I read somewhere dabo called that last play, could be wrong but as far as the “bubble screen” or wr screen I don’t mind a few a game ... it’s basically a run play , getting your playmakers in space ... yea sometimes it only goes for a few but missed tackle and it’s a big play... we weren’t able to run the ball conventionally on them so those are just diff ways to get the ball out quick , I def don’t miss in the old days when we would run about 15 a game it seemed lol

Dec 31, 2019, 4:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson offensive coaches ... a touch of genius? ]

I also thought I read somewhere dabo called that last play, could be wrong but as far as the “bubble screen” or wr screen I don’t mind a few a game ... it’s basically a run play , getting your playmakers in space ... yea sometimes it only goes for a few but missed tackle and it’s a big play... we weren’t able to run the ball conventionally on them so those are just diff ways to get the ball out quick , I def don’t miss in the old days when we would run about 15 a game it seemed lol

like this one?

Dec 31, 2019, 4:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson offensive coaches ... a touch of genius? ]

there are only bad when you use them too much

https://www.facebook.com/ESPN/videos/501836760378902/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

According to Dabo, he called the play.***

Dec 31, 2019, 3:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really? (Link)?

Dec 31, 2019, 4:25 PM

Nm

Dec 31, 2019, 6:35 PM

That was a great play call. However I would like to see Tony take it to the next level of scheming to get WRS open and confusing defenses. I would like to see this offense evolve to where we are not just RPO QB draw or a 50/50 (65/35 with our wideouts).

I liked the ETN cut routes that were added. This is the kind of thing I would like to see.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Compared to the first half, anything looked genius, haha!***

Dec 31, 2019, 8:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did they call bad plays in the first half?

Dec 31, 2019, 9:43 PM

Or we’re good plays just not executed?

Maybe the Ohio State defense took a while to figure out.

What’s your take?

Re: Did they call bad plays in the first half?

Dec 31, 2019, 9:51 PM

My take is Tee got hurt and our WRS could not get open. No offense to Overton but he is not going to do anything in the pass game to help us. Ngata, Ladson, and Galloway need to get prepped to contribute against LSU.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, the playcalling was bad.

Jan 2, 2020, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Did they call bad plays in the first half? ]

We either ran to the sideline, threw to the sideline, or tried to throw deep. We spent way too much time moving laterally against a talented defense.

We tried running ETN off the center like twice, it didn't work, so we gave up. Best way to slow down their pass rush would have been to run ETN to the tackle's inside hip. We didn't do that at all.

They were running a lot of cover-2 with press coverage (covering deep passes and screen/lateral passes). We failed to take advantage of the weakness there - the middle of the field - as we always seem to do until the last minute. Then of course it worked like a charm and we sped down the field.

The strategy/preparedness was terrible.

Replies: 18
| visibility 3,443
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic