Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson heritage
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Clemson heritage

Jan 28, 2019, 9:02 AM

I'm bored at work - our systems are down, so all I have is the internet. We can do absolutely nothing work-related. So I'm curious about everyone's Clemson heritage. I know we have some in here with ties that go way back, many with family who played a sport at Clemson, etc. So what do you got?

One of my grandfathers graduated CU in the mid 30s (long story as to why I don't know the specific year!), my dad graduated in 58, had a brother graduate in 77, sister went but transferred to MUSC to finish up medical school, me in 91, and since have had a nephew graduate.

Dad was in the Senior Platoon and Pershing Rifles, and I was in P/R, too, so that was cool.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson heritage

Jan 28, 2019, 9:11 AM

My twin and I are first generation Americans, so we were the first to go to Clemson. (My mother got separated from the group during our initiation tour and got lost. One of our favorite stories.) My niece is there now and my daughter is hoping to get accepted for next year. Fingers crossed!

Jan 28, 2019, 9:16 AM

Love the Pershing Rifles!
I married into a Clemson family. Hubby's grandfather attended around 1900, his father attended on a band scholarship and was editor of the newspaper, graduated in 1929. Husband and his brother are both Clemson grads. I attended as a married student during 60's when we lived in the prefabs and I worked in the ice cream bar in old P&A bldg. Our daughter (4th generation) graduated recently and is married to a Clemson grad.

Anyone know of someone that attended around 1906

Jan 28, 2019, 6:54 PM

I have a yearbook from 1906 (think that is year maybe 03). Either way just wondering if anyone had a relative back then and if they would be in yearbook.

It has a write up on the “history of Clemson football” and team pic which includes Heisman.

Jan 28, 2019, 9:19 AM

Counting 11 Clemson graduates in our family to date. Pretty sure more are in the way. Father in law was in the famous class of ‘44. Both my brother and I are former student athletes. Sister was first female president of SAM at CU. We attend almost all home games and some away games. Love all Tiger sports though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2019, 9:23 AM

I'm the first and only person in my family to attend/graduate from Clemson (96).

Our only child decided to spurn attending Clemson for the Air Force. So, it looks like my Clemson family tradition starts and ends with me, at least until we have grandkids.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2019, 9:31 AM

My father and his brothers attended Clemson so I was born into it. Many of my older cousins attended so that was the only place I wanted to go to school. My oldest uncle was on the basketball team with Banks McFadden. He is also on the Scroll of Honor.

http://soh.alumni.clemson.edu/scroll/walter-cleo-williams-jr/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2019, 9:31 AM

I was the first in my family to attend. As a result of my experience I had a cousin attend who went on to serve and retire from the military

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson heritage- and one other thing I'm proud of

Jan 28, 2019, 10:05 AM

I had Dr Skardon as my freshman English professor. I didnt become aware of everything he survived until years later. I was also privelegded to talk on occasion to Banks McFadden and Coach Howard during that era.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2019, 9:33 AM

My whole mother's side of the family is from Clemson/Central. My great-grandfather ran the ME machine shop (when that was required). My great uncle was the 1st graduate of the Ceramics Engineering department. His sister, my grandmother worked at the library in her 20s.

On my mother's father side, my great great uncle owned the ESSO in the early 40s. When he enlisted into the war, my grandfather worked there while in high school. He said it was mostly a professor's bar, and they had a huge map of Europe and would plot out and debate the troop movements in the afternoons. Once a month he would write a bill for "auto work" so their wives would not know what they were up to.

Deep Roots

Jan 28, 2019, 9:35 AM

Dad was one of the original members of the Pershing Rifles. Graduated in '42, came back to Clemson in '51 after WWII and graduate school. Taught at Clemson for 38 years and retired as an Emeritus Professor. My brother, sister and I all grew up in Clemson and graduated there in the late 60's and early 70's. A brother-in law, sister-in law, two nephews and a dozen or so of cousins all and a son all matriculated to Clemson.

Nobody is actually born in Clemson, but after three day in the Anderson Hospital Clemson sure felt like home!

Re: Deep Roots

Jan 28, 2019, 9:44 AM

So my uncle and your dad had to be on the Pershing Rifles together. Cool.

http://soh.alumni.clemson.edu/scroll/walter-cleo-williams-jr/

Jan 28, 2019, 10:06 AM

I think your uncle preceded my dad by several years. Dad graduated in 58, so he was there 54-58 or so. Still cool to have the connection. While not a Clemson grad, Colin Powell was also a P/R back in the day.

Jan 28, 2019, 2:09 PM

One of my uncles was there when your dad was. I think he graduated in '59. He had started earlier, left to serve in the military and came back. My dad would have started in '49 I think but never finished. My uncle always said he couldn't stand being away from his girlfriend (my mom) so he quit school to get married. :)

Jan 28, 2019, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Deep Roots ]

Actually heading over to Tiger Town this week end to celebrate dad's 98 birthday. I'll ask his if he remembers your uncle. At 98 he can still remember most of the students he taught.

Jan 28, 2019, 4:04 PM

I am going to guess I know your Dad and he lives at Clemson Downs. Am I correct?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2019, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Deep Roots ]

My grandmother was born in a big white house right behind the train depot, though I guess you were right because officially, it was not Clemson then, it was Calhoun

Working backwards

Jan 28, 2019, 10:13 AM

My son graduated in 2014.
I graduated in '77, following my brothers in '75 and '73.
My dad retired from Clemson in '70, having arrived as a professor in '30.
My aunt retired in '65, having been secretary to five Clemson presidents.
My uncle (mom's brother) graduated in '39, served in WWII and returned to work at Clemson until he retired.
Another uncle also graduated Clemson, though I don't know what year.
My grandfather was in the first class when the college opened.

First in my immediate family

Jan 28, 2019, 12:34 PM

My father and most of his brothers went directly into WWII and served from Europe to the South Pacific.
An uncle went to Clemson after the war was over as a requirement of his future bride (smart lady).
My father came back and married well. He wanted his four children to go to Clemson, and as it turned out, I was the only one, and the only male to graduate.
I met my wife there...she graduated in '80. I graduated '81.
My daughter and her husband finished in '09...and we are already working on our grandson.

4th Gen

Jan 28, 2019, 3:38 PM [ in reply to Working backwards ]

Class of 93
Uncle was 62
Grandfather was 33
Great Grandfather was 1902

GO TIGERS

Jan 28, 2019, 10:19 AM

We have 10 Clemson rings in my immediate family. Only my brother's daughter did not go to college in the entire lot. She decided not to go to college and went to U of SCAR.

Jan 28, 2019, 10:34 AM

All of my family went to UofSC. I was smarter. My oldest son went to GA, youngest went to UA. I'm still smarter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's all I can think of...

Jan 28, 2019, 10:36 AM

Great grandfather - Attended but did not graduate. Not sure when.
Paternal grandfather - Class of 1929
Maternal grandfather - Class of 1929
Great Uncle #1 - Class of 1935
Great Uncle #2 - Strom Thurmond's roommate
Great Uncle #3 - Class of 1923
Mom - Attended 63-65
Dad - Class of 1965
Wife - Class 2000
Me - Class 1999
Sister in law - Class of 2006
Brother in law - Class of 2006
Cousin - Class of 1982
Cousin - Class of 1991
And somehow Dean Cox was a cousin of my paternal grandmother.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here's all I can think of...

Jan 28, 2019, 3:50 PM

Both your grandfathers were in the same class as my father-in-law. 1929, can you imagine what it must have been like to graduate from college the year that the stock market crashed, great depression?? I'm sure they knew each other.

Jan 28, 2019, 12:36 PM

Grandfather - Class of 1933
Sister - 3 years before pharmacy school in charleston
Me - Class of 1992

Jan 28, 2019, 12:49 PM

Mom and Dad graduated from Clemson.

Mom is from New England area and was 1st gen.

Dad was from Anderson and was also 1st gen, but all of his brothers and sisters attended Clemson, and all of them met their spouses at Clemson (except for 1 Coot uncle, but he married a Clemson woman too.)

Dad's Dad taught at Clemson for a decade or so as well.

All of them were at Clemson in the 1970's and 1980's. Parents were there in 81.

I'm 2nd gen. Cousins are following suit.

Jan 28, 2019, 12:49 PM

Dad attended Clemson in the 1930’s. He was a member of the Golf Team although I don’t believe it was an official Team back then. He was a friend of Walter Cox and Mr. Skardon.

I graduated in 1973.
My son graduated in 2001.
Lots of relatives on both sides graduated with several more ther now.

I doubt I could meet today’s admission standards.

Jan 28, 2019, 2:22 PM

grandfather in 1st graduating class
dad was a grad
i'm a grad
and john c is a relative

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2019, 2:33 PM

Dad- '65 (All American in Track)
Uncle- '68?
Another Uncle- '70?
Cousin- '89
Brother- '90 (Academic All American in Track)
Sister-in-law- '90
Brother2- '92
Sister-in-law- '92
Me- '2000
Nephew- '2020

Jan 28, 2019, 4:29 PM

My late father and his twin finished in the class of 1944. Their older brother graduated in 1942. I have a nephew who finished first year there and transferred to Wofford in a full ROTC scholarship. I've been attending Tiger football since age 6 in 1959. Dad joined IPTAY in 1954 and remained a member until his death in 2001. I joined and paid dues in his memory for the next five years until medical expenses prevented me from renewing my membership. I regularly attend Prowl & Growl each year even though I am a Wofford graduate. I am going to rejoin IPTAY shortly as well. Every fan, graduate or not, should join if they can afford the cost.

The wife, a Winthrop grad, and I are planning on taking a niece to her first Clemson game this season and hopefully start another generation.

Go Tigers!

10 Clemson degrees in one immediate family.....

Jan 28, 2019, 6:19 PM

Sister 1978 BS Nursing
Brother 1975 BS Math
Brother 1978 BS Civil Engineering
Brother 1985 BS Agricultural Engineering 1986 Mechanical Engineering BS
Brother 1981 BS Science Teaching (Erthsc) Administration and Supervision (MEd)
Brother 1982 1982 BS 420 Civil Engineering
Me 1993 BS Science Teaching (Erthsc) 1999 Administration (MEd)

If you're counting,that's 7 members of ONE immediate family--with 10 Clemson Degrees!

Wife 1999 Administration and Supervision (MEd)
Sister-in-law 1994 Med Counseling & Guidance
Sister-in-law 1998 BS Teaching (Math)

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Clemson heritage

Jan 28, 2019, 6:39 PM

I graduated from CU in 1990; met my wife at Clemson
My brother played golf for Penley and graduated in 1989; he met his wife at Clemson
My sister went for one year and transferred
My son is a sophomore there now

My wife’s brothers graduated CU in 1988 and 1989 (one with a Masters in 1990); both met their wives at Clemson
My father-in-law graduated from Clemson, as did his father, father-in-law, and grandfather (his uncle graduated and taught there). Both his father and grandfather were county agents for their whole careers.
One of my wife’s distant relatives actually chaired the founding board meeting on the lawn of Fort Hill Plantation
Our nephew is a senior at CU now

Jan 28, 2019, 6:57 PM

Started in '69, but spent to much downtown time. When CNSYD closed went back and finished degree in '98, 25 years late. One brother graduated in 1978 first ion immediate family to graduate from college. My daughter graduated in 2010, ChemEng. But I married a Winthrop grad. so it is an old fashioned upstate marriage, even though we are both from the Low Country. Mother's side of family is from South Carolina, but only a distant cousin graduated earlier than my Brother. Lot of chickens in family but we get along pretty good. Fortunately, no Ooglies.

We moved to the Clemson area when my Dad retired from the military.

Jan 28, 2019, 6:48 PM

My Mom took a temp job at the Clemson bookstore. Her first day of work is when Ford was let go. People were crying and she thought he had died.

I spent many years at Clemson and got 2 degrees. I am hoping my nephews consider Clemson in a few years.

Jan 28, 2019, 9:25 PM

3rd generation Tiger...

-Grandfather `27, IPTAY member #65
-Dad would have been `62, but mom got in the way, lol
-Uncle had credits, but no diploma, drafted in 1950 for Korea. Used his Clemson credits to apply to Officer candidate school. Spent 26yrs in the Army, 1 tour Korea and 2 in Vietnam, came out in `76 as a Lt Colonel
-Me, Class of `88...Army scholarship..never was much for spit and polish, or twirling my rifle so I spent my time with the Clemson Rangers instead of the PR`s, shooting my rifle and crawling thru the Clemson Forest...was on the 5yr plan for `87, but the Army gave me an early commission and sent me to Army Engineer School in `87. I came back and finished in spring `88, being THE last ET major to grace Littlejohn in a cap and gown.
-Many more cousins, I even roomed with one for 3yrs in johnstone B8 & E3

Jan 28, 2019, 10:33 PM

My father played football at GT under bobby Dodd do I grew up s tech fan but kind of odd since I grew up in Sumter. Went to some u of scar games growing up since it was so close to home. I had a cousin who was the first girl that had an athletic scholarship at clemson. She played b-ball under Annie tribble. The only person related to me that went to Clemson. I was the first in my immediate family.
Since then here are others that went to CU.
My brother
My daughter
My son
Another cousin and all his kids.
It kind of began to snowball.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic